News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sighting in for a KD shoot

Started by Texas T, May 27, 2016, 08:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas T

I'm still a little new to all of this and will be shooting at a KD event in a couple of weeks. I will be using my fairly new M&P 15 Sport (I) and would like some advice on sighting it in, so that I can be more ready for the event. In reviewing the Instructor Manual (page 91), it appears that I should be sighting it in at 25 meters, which will be approximately on target at 300 meters. Is that correct? I'll be heading over to the range over the weekend and just want some assurance that I am on the correct path, or guidance that I'm not. #)

Much appreciated, in advance.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Kennebago

Yes, with a near zero of 25 meters, you will approximate a far zero of 300 meters.
Wodan bood Mimir zijn oog
doch zou hij beter zien

Luminous Rabbit

I'm new to this too, but yes that will work.  Be aware that it's very sensitive to front sight height if you sight in like that.  Every inch of front sight height will move your point of impact 16" at 400y.  As a result, no one can tell you exactly what your rifle is going to do.  That's why you have to get DOPE on your own rifle.

If I'm bench sighting a rifle, I personally prefer to sight a known height at 100y.  You could try 5" high for battle rifles.  That gives the exact same effect of a roughly 300y 2nd zero, but with much less dependence on the particulars of your rifle.

dond

You can sight it at either 25 meters or 100 yards - or both if you like.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Texas T

I'm obviously new to this, because I'm not sure how to sight in at both 25 and 100 yards. How is that possible? I can sight my rifle in at 25 or I can sight it in at 100, but I don't understand how you might do both. As I am seeing from the instructor manual, sighting it in at 25 should be close at 300, but I don't see how 100 fits into the equation.   #)

I'm trying to get a grasp on this so that I don't divert valuable time at the shoots to someone who isn't sure that they understand most of the basics.   :wb:

Thanks again
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

MI IBC, February 2017

Texas T

I should add that I will be shooting an AR-15 with iron sights.

MI IBC, February 2017

308LIBERTY

I think he essentially meant getting the rifle sighted in at one distance, then figuring out how many clicks on your rear sight it will take to zero at the other, so you start off the KD with a sighted in rifle and a little bit of dope, saving you time and sweat during the KD. There are 2 schools of thought to make it easier to shoot KD. If you zero at 100 yards, then all your come-ups are going to be UP with the rear sight. If you sight in at 25m, then you will be high at 100 and even higher at 200, hitting at 300, then low at 400 and beyond.

However, there is a trick to shooting an AR with irons. (not so much a trick as how it was intentionally designed) If you sight in at center of target at 25 meters, then shoot 6 o clock hold at 100 yards and beyond, you can pretty much count on hitting the AS target from 100-300 yards without making any sight adjustments (if you do your part). You should only be a little above center at 100 yards, probably hitting near the head at 200 yards, back to center at 300 yards, and then you only need to come up at 400 yards to hit the target.

As mentioned, results with your specific rifle (sight height, ammo, barrel length, etc.) will vary somewhat.

Quote from: Texas T on May 28, 2016, 02:40:11 PM
I'm obviously new to this, because I'm not sure how to sight in at both 25 and 100 yards. How is that possible? I can sight my rifle in at 25 or I can sight it in at 100, but I don't understand how you might do both. As I am seeing from the instructor manual, sighting it in at 25 should be close at 300, but I don't see how 100 fits into the equation.   #)

I'm trying to get a grasp on this so that I don't divert valuable time at the shoots to someone who isn't sure that they understand most of the basics.   :wb:

Thanks again
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

Texas T

Much appreciated. I think that I get it.   O0

MI IBC, February 2017

dond

Actually I meant sighting in at both 25m and 100 yards and finding out how many clicks exist between them. Then you can begin at either 300 yards or 25m. But then too if you are only sighted in at 25m you will still be on target at 100 yards and can make the appropriated change to get zeroed there.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken