News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Waco, TX, AAR - May 21-22, 2016

Started by spitstickler, May 23, 2016, 03:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitstickler

This event this past weekend Waco was a good one. We had beautiful weather and full line that was busting at the seams. Like most events, all ages were represented and everyone showed up with great attitudes, ready to hone their marksmanship skills and to learn a bit about our heritage.

First off - this range is awesome. Overhead cover to stay out of the sun and elements is beyond nice. The bullet traps that were put together so attendees could shoot from this area instead of 25m from the back berm are worth their weight in gold. This will do a lot to promote Appleseed at this venue as there is no other place like it in this area. It really is that special.  Big thanks to Weezer, (that guy she's married to..  ;) ), and Gunner01 for doing all the ground work, leg work, and hard work to make this happen.  :bow: :bow: :bow:

We had three Rifleman rise from the ranks this weekend. On the first AQT of the weekend, Trevor and Michael both crossed the 210 line. Trevor is an Appleseed veteran who we first met at the Top Gun range several years ago. We are glad to see you back, and very happy to see your daughter along with you.  Michael, is a friend of Trevor's and this was his first event. I have to say, it is a very rare thing to see a first timer, first AQT Rifleman score. Job well done!

On Sunday, we had a young man who knows very much what he's about on the line with us. James, who was rumored to have been knocking on the door for a while, decided that his knuckles were sore and instead just decided to kick the whole dang door down. He shot repeated Rifleman score all the way up to 239! To top it off, James decided to take a hat and start paying it forward. Apparently the apple doesn't fall from the proverbial tree, eh Ghostring!

We had a large contingent of youth present and two of the youngest received patches for their grit, good attitudes and determination.

For that matter, everyone this weekend did an great job. Persistence will pay off if you choose to continue to put in the work. I wish you all the best and hope to see everyone of you again in the future.

Pics here:  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1056205287769965.1073741847.112988112091692&type=3

:pics:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

spitstickler

Youth patches
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

spitstickler

Riflemen

spitstickler

...and I almost forgot!

I was asked by the gentleman who was using one of my loaner rifles if it had a name. I replied, that no it didn't and I've never been that good at coming up with nicknames for my stuff. And when I do, the name never really seems to stick.

He paused for just a second and said, "I think this rifle's name is Mittens!" 

I cannot think of any reason at all that this name fits this rifle, but for some reason I feel it's here to stay.  ;D

Weezer

I'm sorry I missed it!   It sounds like you guys had a great event and how exciting to have so many Riflemen and a new Orange Hat!   ^:)^    Congratulations, James, and welcome aboard!   Be sure to post about this in the Texas state forum so that we can all give him the proper hazing welcome!   ;D

Glad those backers worked out.  Gunner01 and NJrefugee deserve all the credit for hauling the steel in from Oklahoma and pulling an all-nighter to get them built.   You're right - CTRP is a PHENOMENAL range.      O0

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

I was good visiting with you fine folks Saturday evening and I was glad to be a part of your birthday celebration, spitstickler!  ..:..

Congratulations to the Riflemen joining our ranks!

Quote from: spitstickler on May 23, 2016, 03:45:46 PM
First off - this range is awesome. Overhead cover to stay out of the sun and elements is beyond nice.

After seeing the range first hand for the first  time Saturday - I wholeheartedly agree.  :bow:

Now I have range envy.  :-[

Quote from: spitstickler on May 23, 2016, 03:45:46 PM
On Sunday, we had a young man who knows very much what he's about on the line with us. James, who was rumored to have been knocking on the door for a while, decided that his knuckles were sore and instead just decided to kick the whole dang door down. He shot repeated Rifleman score all the way up to 239! To top it off, James decided to take a hat and start paying it forward. Apparently the apple doesn't fall from the proverbial tree, eh Ghostring!

WHUT? He was supposed to do that at MY shoot!  :( ;)

James - please accept my wholehearted congratulations! You know how to persist!  O0

Maybe your forum handle should be doorkicker from henceforth?

I look forward to seeing James IIT at OTHER Texas shoot locations - soon~~:) :cool2:

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

spitstickler

Quote from: Sir Not Appearing In This Film on May 24, 2016, 12:25:01 PM

Maybe your forum handle should be doorkicker from henceforth?

I like the way you think!

scuzzy

I was good visiting with you fine folks Saturday evening and I was glad to be a part of your birthday celebration, spitstickler!  ..:..

Thanks for taking the time to visit us this weekend. It's been too long since I've seen you.

And wasn't that the coolest birthday cake you ever saw? Where's the pics of that?

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Weezer

WHAT?!   Sir Not Appearing comes to Waco the ONE weekend he knows I won't be there?   &)   
No worries.  I'll just drown my sorrows in bourbon while I watch some Flying Circus.   :-[

PS - Happy birthday, Spitstickler!   What are you now, 28?  29?   :cool2:

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

spitstickler

I'm still trying to not remember the birthday every year.  A few more of 'em and I'll probably be old enough I won't have to try anymore!

But baked goods with field position shooters on top?  ... awesome!  #BestCakeEver

I can't think of any other place better to spend a birthday than Appleseed.

Quote from: Weezer on May 24, 2016, 01:29:29 PM

WHAT?!   Sir Not Appearing comes to Waco the ONE weekend he knows I won't be there?   &)   
No worries.  I'll just drown my sorrows in bourbon while I watch some Flying Circus.   :-[

PS - Happy birthday, Spitstickler!   What are you now, 28?  29?   :cool2:

You didn't want to see me then - I was all grungy and unpresentable from working in a Belton, TX junkyard.  :P

Next time I'm in the area I'll be grungy and presentable.  :)
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote from: scuzzy on May 24, 2016, 01:22:22 PM
Thanks for taking the time to visit us this weekend. It's been too long since I've seen you.

And wasn't that the coolest birthday cake you ever saw? Where's the pics of that?

Totally worth the trip to me, bro - despite the best efforts of highway departments attempting to stop me.  O0

"right click - save as" cake pic. Kirk's got a keeper.
Ladyseed Man Slave