News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Buford, Georgia May 21-22

Started by DrJohn, May 23, 2016, 08:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

Appleseed was fortunate to have use of the beautiful Georgia Gun Owners indoor range at Buford last weekend. The event was sold out, very gratifying, although only thirteen students were able to attend. And of them, about half were first time attendees, and all were eager and very enthusiastic. As usual, after the Saturday welcome and explanation of Appleseed's mission and message, we began with the all-important Safety Rules and Safe Rifle, then into the shooting area itself for the initial Redcoat target. It was obvious that our marksmanship needed a good bit of improvement, and we studied the tripod of rifle marksmanship first - building a rock solid foundation (Sling Use and Steady Hold Factors in prone), the integrated act of firing the shot (the Six Steps), and the proper way to align the sights on the target (Natural Point of Aim). After practice on the squares targets we broke for lunch, when we heard the first two parts of the Story of April 19, 1775, Strikes One and Two. After lunch we covered Rifleman's Cadence, Talking Targets, Inches-Minutes-Clicks, then heard the Third Strike during our afternoon break. Then we covered the Sitting Positions, Transitions to sitting and prone, and finally Standing position, before we fired our AQT target. We had respectable scores and groups, but no Rifleman. Yet.

On Sunday Scott, Dan and Nic were unable to return, but Bill and Laura came for the single day, and we got off to a good start by reviewing material from the previous day before we began shooting again. And it was evident that the overnight rest had been beneficial, because most people were shooting nice little tight groups on the squares targets. Possibly not with absolute consistency, but the skill level had gone up considerably and we saw lots of pleased smiles and some nods of quiet satisfaction. After some more squares practice, mostly in prone, and more tweaking of the sights (most of us had become pretty savvy as to when it was beneficial to adjust the sights, and by precisely how much, essential skills of a Rifleman). At lunch we heard more about the Story of April 19, 1775 - Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women, and Gallant Children. After lunch and some more work tweaking our prone position, we shot our second AQT target of the weekend, and Greg showed that he had learned the fundamentals well, by shooting a solid 230 and earning his Rifleman patch. Our afternoon break was devoted to learning the skills needed to shoot at Actual Distance, then back to shooting, for our third and final AQT target of the weekend. By this time, fatigue had set in and scores had plateaued. We concluded with the award ceremony and a stirring benediction by "V", who admonished us to ponder deeply the example set by our Founding Generation, and "go forth and do likewise", to paraphrase a priceless book's advice.

Ron and Jeffry, it was a pleasure to have you and observe the increase of skill as you got away from a shooting skill with which you were very familiar, to one that was challenging in a different way. Keep up the good work, spread the word among your colleagues, and come back and join us again. Dan and Nic, it was rewarding to observe the bond between you and the respect with which you treated each other. And your shooting skills are awesome! Had Dan chosen to shoot for score in our single AQT target Saturday, he would have won a Rifleman patch himself. Keep up the good work and come join us again, hopefully for both days next time. Brad, it is obvious that you have been dry firing and practicing since your last Appleseed event. Your skill level is obvious, and you are so very, very close...two AQT scores of 193 and 195 on Sunday. The scales are about to fall from your eyes and I envy you the magnificent feeling when that happens. Andrew (A.J.), I know you were distracted by upcoming finals at school and were unable to spend all the available time shooting, but the improvement in your skill level has been most remarkable. Keep up the good work (and good luck with those finals!) Greg and Brian, what a unique and special way to celebrate Father's Day. Brian, you improved so quickly in only two short days. Greg, your skill level was already very good, and it was most gratifying to see you jump up to another level and win your Rifleman patch. And we would be most happy to have you come back with other of your friends to a future Appleseed. Bill and Laura, what a pleasure to have you be able to join us again, if only for one day. Bill, you have improved so much since your first Appleseed event that it is hard to believe you are the same shooter. And good work with your recent hunting prowess. Laura, thank you for coming out again, and congratulations on your most impressive achievement of graduating as valedictorian of your class. Well done and godspeed! Joseph, your methodical and thoughtful approach to rifle marksmanship is most commendable. And very gratifying when we saw you improve so quickly, and the determination in your eyes to continue along the path to Rifleman. Scott, we were so pleased to have you join us again, if only for one day. Your persistence and determination will bring even more improvement as time passes, and I am convinced a Rifleman patch is in your near future. Kenny, we appreciate your willingness to try different methods to continue your progress along the path to Rifleman. Such as trying the eye patch, trigger follow-through, and such. You are a willing and easy student and we hope to see you again soon.

To all, dry fire consistently, persist, have faith, and above all, ponder deeply the example set for us by our Founding Generation. Huzza, all!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

TheMadMongoose

Dr. John, I want to thank you and your staff for a tremendous learning experience, as well as a bonding one!  After my Army experience, and my "summer vacation" as an Infantry soldier, (11 Bravo,) in Viet Nam, followed by 23 years in Law Enforcement, and State certification as a firearms instructor, I thought I pretty much knew the ropes.  Your course was an eye opener! It was the best organized, well presented instruction I have ever encountered.  I was a Police Instructor for 15 years, so I watch instructional technique in others.  I was totally impressed when I quickly realized that you folks were so prepared that you could swap topics and stay on track.  Well done! Although my skills definitely improved, I have a long way to go.  I look forward to training with you again.  I'm requesting a favor.  If I can assist locally, such as running a booth at gun shows, or in whatever capacity you can utilize me, please put me on the list.  Obviously, I'm a better talker than shooter, I'd like to change that. I'm available in any capacity for which there is a need.  Thanks again.HUZZAH!!!!!!! @&)