News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Macon, GA 14-15 May 2016

Started by brianf31, May 16, 2016, 01:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianf31

Marion Road Gun Club in Macon hosted a rewarding Appleseed shoot on a gorgeous Georgia weekend. 23 eager shooters arrived Saturday morning to hear a little American history and learn rifle marksmanship.

After shooting a redcoat target to measure baseline skill, we started the day by demonstrating sling use and steady hold factors in the prone position. Following an extended period of rifle set-up, we immediately put the lesson to practice on the ol' squares targets. We then progressed to six steps of the shot and natural point of aim (NPOA), practicing each immediately after instruction was given.

Shooters learned how to get feedback from their targets and how to adjust sights or scopes using inches, minutes and clicks (IMC). After a timely break for lunch, we heard stirring tales of brave patriots who made The Choice to defend liberty on April 19, 1775 in the First and Second Strikes of The Match. Later in the afternoon, we heard the Third Strike, where the war began in earnest. 

Right after lunch, we jumped right back into instruction with rifleman's cadence, the seated position and transition to seated and prone. Shooters then practiced with specific drills to drive the lessons home.  We were rewarded with ever-shrinking shot groups, with many getting the majority "in the black".

After reviewing steady hold factors and sling use in the standing position, shooters tried their hand at the AQT. Many did well and all were up to the challenge. Scott earned the coveted rifleman's patch, shooting a 222 on his very first attempt. Great shooting! The day closed out with another Redcoat target.

Sunday saw the return of 17 students. We didn't rush into AQTs, but instead reviewed steady hold factors in various positions, six steps of the shot and natural point of aim. We then ran specific drills to improve areas that needed improvement, such as NPOA and smoothness during transition and mag change drills. We shot one AQT before lunch, with Zach shooting a 211. Way to go! You missed the bath by earning that extra point.

We heard the stories of Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women and Gallant children at lunch. After returning to the line, we shot one more AQT for the day. Many were knocking on the door to shooting expert, scoring in the 190s and 200s. Evidence of improvement and perfect practice!

We took a break in the shade while learning about the tasks involved in full distance shooting. We then backed up to the 100 yard line and took sighters. Shooters then applied Inches, Minutes and Clicks to get on target, verifying their click graduations and recording important data on their rifles. The shooting came to a fun conclusion with a couple rounds of shooting steel and clay pigeons at 100 yards. Instructors were pleased to hear many hit 5 out of 5 on the steel and to see the 3.5 MOA clays vaporized on single shots.

This group of shooters were safe, attentive and eager to learn. You couldn't' ask for a better bunch.

Jamie, it's always good to have you on the line. You worked that bolt action like a pro.

David and Brandon were a formidable father-son team. I think Dad was quite impressed with Brandon's score of 195 on the AQT. You are well on your way to becoming a rifleman, young man.

Steve Sr. and Steve Jr, you were a pleasure to instruct. Come on out any chance you get.

Tim, you did quite well, with a series of shots nearly touching each other. That was some fine shooting with irons and a centerfire.

It's always good to have Ann Marie on the line. Thanks for your enthusiasm and promotion of the program at Marion road Gun Club.

Todd, you are a fine shooter. You were getting close to the rifleman's score with 190+. Keep on practicing and that patch will be yours.

Andy and Carrie were there to show that shooting is a great couple's activity. Andy did well and this instructor was impressed to see Carrie pull it all together Sunday. Man, talk about instant shrinking shot groups!

Pete and Danny, it's evident that you guys know how to use a rifle. Keep up that perfect practice.

Josh, Eric, Connor and Jeff, it was a joy to have you young men on the firing line. Come on back any chance you get.

Ron and Ian, I'm glad you enjoyed the shoot and I hope you learned a lot. I hope to see you again. 

Paul, it was great to meet you and I hope to see you again. Thanks for bringing Jennifer out.

Last but not least, thanks to Marion Road Gun Club for their continued support. You are always a gracious host.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

CanBrit

It was a wonderful day Brian and you did an amazing job as a shoot boss. The consensus on the drive home was that this was the best Appleseed we have ever experienced! Looking forward to instructing with you again!

DCJ1972

This was mine and Brandon's first Appleseed, I can tell you it won't be our last. Brandon said on the way home he learned a lot about shooting, and that he would get that Riflemans patch sooner or later. You guys did a great job. 

Scott_R

My first but not my last Appleseed.  Looking forward to next time.  I had a great time, and was extremely impressed with the instruction and the inspired story telling.  I will do my best to bring a new shooter with me next time.

Thanks again, and hope to see you guys again soon.

Scott

goose

It was kind of a "Revival" weekend...just superb.  The most specific component that each student brought this weekend was a Teachable Attitude!  The weather certainly helped keep it going strong, but the tenacity and perseverance of each and every one on the line made this a truly Red (coat) Letter weekend.

-goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

DrJohn

I am still stoked from last weekend. Such  wonderful group of students, so much improvement in skill, and most importantly, so much interest in the contributions of the Founding Generation. I look forward to seeing all of you again and congratulate you on your great attitude and commendable persistence. Huzza, all!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Roswell

This weekend was a HOT one! Still though we were blessed with a full line of stalwart patriots.

You really couldn't ask for a more beautiful weekend though.

Like I said a FULL line!  ^:)^

Goose and Peachy instructed us on the seated position

Then the students implemented what they were taught

It was great watching Andy and Carrie's synchronized shooting.  The couple that shoots together...  O0

DrJohn regaling us with the 3rd Strike

We were lucky enough to have 4 future shoot bosses earn a Luther Blanchard Patch. Thank you Jeff, Brandon, Eric and Connor. You are the future!

Scott showed he knew very well what he was about and earned a 222 on his very first ever AQT!  :bow:

Sunday dawned and it was time to review all we had learned

After 2 AQTs we saw another Rifleman emerge. Zach shot a 211 and escaped a North Bridge baptism

We moved back to 100 yards and everyone got their comeups. Then it was time to bang on steel and shatter some 3.5 MOA clays  :---

I had a great weekend and I hope everyone else did too.  I hope to see each of you again soon.
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23