News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur NC KD Shoot May 14-15, 2016

Started by Morpheus, May 16, 2016, 11:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morpheus

I don't think the weekend could have been prettier in regards to the weather, and I don't think the shooters could have been better or more receptive to the instruction that was provided at this weekend's Known Distance shoot in Ramseur!

We had 16 shooters to start our Saturday morning, and we didn't waste much time before we were confirming our 25m zeros. We then moved on to the known distance range to find out what actually happens at the 100y target with a 25m zero and then made sight adjustments accordingly. Using this method at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards the shooters were able to get the valuable data for their sight settings and we did shoot the actual distance AQT as we went through each target line. It was an honor to award three KD Rockers! using the "Hits Count" method, Michael had a re-qualifying score of 45, John was a new KD Rifleman with a 42 and Tom was a new KD Rifleman with a 41. HuzzaH!! I also had the privilege to hand out a shiny, new Orange Hat to Stacey! Way to go Bright Eyes!

Sunday morning was spent in the classroom where we discussed target detection and range estimation. We did a target detection segment using the 25m range and beyond, and we also used the KD range where we saw how difficult it is to actually detect details of an object at distances greater than 100y.

Sunday afternoon, after the Ball and Dummy drill, we went back to the KD range and shot two KD AQTs using the Battle Sight Zero method. Much was learned from this technique but ammo difficulties, rifle issues and come target crossfiring kept the scores below our Rifleman standard. But the attitudes and spirits remained high right to the end of the day on Sunday!

Since this was an "Appleseed 2.0" event, the history that was presented had a "Words from our Founders" theme. The shooters heard words from Isaac Davis, Patrick Henry, Nathan Hale, Thomas Paine, and others. I sense that Americans today would do well to listen to what our Founders had to say. It was my hope that this message would resonate with the attendees this weekend.

Thank you all for your attention and determination this weekend. And thank you to the instructors who helped make this such a great event! I do hope to see you all again soon on the Appleseed Trail!

Steve
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

jmdavis

It's kind of sad to me as someone who KD qualified based on score with irons and scope with the AR and irons with the M1 and ran a number of KD's and Bootcamps to hear that Ramseur has gone to "hits count" as opposed to scoring the actual AQT. 
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Pelon

I had a great time this weekend and the instruction was great.  The part I loved most was the target identification segment, that kicked my tail!!!  I couldn't see the forest for the trees.  That was almost as bad as showing me how bad a shot I really was when I went to my first AS!!!   :sos:   ~~:). I will not forget that for some time. 
It was a beautiful weekend and the weather could not have been any better.  I know everyone had a great time and I enjoyed meeting a lot of new people and seeing old friends again as well. 
And a special thanks to Terry and Cindy for the lesson on bees at dinner...  I would have never thought that they could get lost if their house moved 2 feet or that they can read #). That's just crazy!!!

And Morpheus...  Thank you Sir for your time energy and dedication.  You are the Man ^:)^

Pelon

Thaddeus

The weather could not have been better for the KD shoot - thanks Morpheus for running a great weekend!