News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coshocton, Ohio May 14 & 15, 2016 AAR

Started by Corvette, May 16, 2016, 12:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

What amazing Appleseed. While we only had 9 shooters on the line, we had an amazing group of shooters and one fantastic shoot.  First, I have to say I was totally taken back by our hosts at the Coshocton Gun Club.  The weather report for the weekend was a challenge. Rain and wind was expected for Saturday and the club on their own decided to build a shelter over our shoot line to keep shooters and their equipment dry. 

The range sponsors met at the range at 3:30 in the afternoon having purchased every piece of 1 and ½ in PVC pipe and they started to construct an overhang shelter on the front of their range to protect our shooters.  When we arrived Friday night, we all pitched in and by 9:30 that night, we have a covered ready and firing line for our shooters. It was amazing what the club did for us.  A big Huzzah is due to Bob, Brian and the folks at Coshocton Gun Club.  They went above and beyond for us this weekend.

The alarm went off at 6am Saturday morning and I had just started the camp stove to start coffee when the rain started.  The plan was for the rain to drain down the tarps on the line cover to the roof of the shooting line and then off the back of the line.  This didn't quite work as planned and the water pooled in the lower part of the temporary cover.  As the weight of the water stressed the support structure, we finally had to poke holes in each section of the lower portion and place buckets to catch the water as it drained out.

The shooters arrived early and all but one showed up in spite of the weather.  After the welcome and the safety brief we were on the line shooting the Saturday morning Red Coat.  Initial results were encouraging.  We had 6 of 9 competent at 100 yards and 4 at 200.  We had one shooter, Alexis, clear her morning Red Coat.  To clear your first Red Coat at your first Appleseed is quite an accomplishment.

Prone steady hold instructions were followed with the six steps and NPOA. All the shooters worked hard Saturday morning. Before we knew it, it was lunch and the first strike.  Seated and off-hand were introduced and the second strike was presented at the afternoon break.  The AQT was introduced and both a practice and a scored AQT were shot Saturday afternoon.  We started what would be a string of Rifleman scores with John Jr shooting a 219 and John B shooting 220.

The afternoon Red Coat was shot with significant improvement shown by all.  We had 7 of 9 at 100, 6 at 200, 5 at 300 and 2 at 400. We had 4 people (almost half) join Daniel Morgan and 2 cleared Red Coats. The third strike was presented and the day wrapped up with an Appleseed Call to Action.

Sunday dawned clear but really windy.  After the safety brief and POI review, the morning Red Coat was shot.  Results were again encouraging.  We had 6 of 9 at 100, 6 of 9 at 200, and 3 of 9 at 300 and 400. After carding the sights, we embarked on the AQT grind. John B and John Jr peppered us with Rifleman scores.  John Jr backed up his Saturday score with a 212 and John B started a string of backup scores that included a 224,213 and a 236.

One of our instructors, little buddy, requalified with a 219 and on the final AQT of the day, Alexis stepped up and shot the final Riflewoman score of the weekend with a 221.  Alexis, gets the my persistence award.  She started the weekend with a cleared Red Coat, then struggled with equipment and other issues.  But she didn't quit and like a true Rifleman, persisted and was rewarded with a patch. She followed that with another cleared Red Coat.  Hats off to Alexis.  She did one heck of job this weekend.

The day was finished with some final comments and one special shoot came to an end. 
Big thanks to Texas T, Borepatch, Charley, Yankee, little buddy, Matt, Bob and Dan for helping with the shoot.  It was really special to have this much help at a shoot.  Well, we are three for three at Coshocton. Three shoots, three weekends of rain and wind.  Let's see if we can break the trend in September.

Pictures to follow.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Shards

Thanks to all the staff and Coshocton Gun Club members who made this an amazing weekend. Alexis and I had a great time and while I don't know that I will get her back out for a full 2 days, she said she would probably be up for at least coming out if I do another one. I have several friends who were waiting on my report of what it was like, and I can't wait to tell them what a fantastic experience it was. I may very well do another one with them if they decide to do it. I know I really want to attend a KD Appleseed now.

-Minor point of correction for you Corvette, I shot my 220 score on Saturday :D

Thanks for a great experience and learning opportunity
-John B

Corvette

Shards,

Corrections made.  Please do come back with your friends. It was my pleasure to meet you and Alexis.  Also, now that you have been through a full Appleseed, you and Alexis can always come back for a Sunday only and shoot some more AQT's etc.  Just a thought.

Corvette

Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Texas T

Alexis definitely was a star performer, showing a great deal of persistence and personal drive. She really worked hard to earn her patch.

This was a great shoot, and being able to mostly ignore the rain was a blessing. Hats off to the range staff, who stepped forward and built the shelter. It would have been much wetter on Saturday if they hadn't taken the time and effort to work so hard on our behalf.

It was an honor to work with so many dedicated individuals and I am looking forward to future shoots.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

DrRichP

Looks like this was another great shoot by a great team at a great range. Thanks to all inlvolved, especially the participants who made this event a huge success. Thanks so much!
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Charley

Thank you, thank you to Coshocton Gun Club for hosting a great event! Thank you for opening up for facilities for camping, and for the shelter... it made for a much drier Appleseed! Great group of shooters with great attitudes, even with the rain and wind. Great job to our Riflemen and Riflewoman! There was a LOT of improvement throughout the weekend. See you all on the trail!

Saturday morning welcome under the shelter....learning some history

Charley

Alexis and John cleared red coats. Rifleman John and Rifleman John Jr. 

Charley

Riflewoman Alexis