News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Torrington Gun Club, May 7 2016

Started by TOMINCT, May 08, 2016, 04:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMINCT

The Torrington Gun Club hosted our first indoor shoot of this year on a weekend well suited for being indoors! A prior week of rain and fog didn't dampen the enthusiasm of those in attendance.

Heavyduty77 and myself ran everyone through the standard POI's and had some interesting results for the effort. Improvement was seen throughout the day and several shooters had very good stages on their AQT scores.

The shooters also had the kind of equipment issues that hit one or two attendees at an event. Jamming when it never jammed before, sight in difficulties, et al. But everyone took it in stride.

Our young shooter corps of Natalie and Julianna hung tough thru the day with adult sized 22 bolt actions. Ben started to hit well with a borrowed 10-22.

By the end of the day we had 2 Riflemen. Greg, a repeat  RM made it with a high score of 214 and Paul handily got the RM patch with a high score of 233 for his efforts.

The three strikes drove home he finer points of what it took for our forebears to gain and keep their Liberty, the chances and risks taken and what it means for us today. All told is was a great one day event.

We'd like to thank the Torrington Gun Club for hosting this event. The facility is clean and well kept with great ventilation and lighting. The BOTG there, Dave, did his best to make it as comfortable as possible with use of club mats and having pizza available at lunchtime. We look forward to an event there in the future.

Thanks goes out to the attendees who didn't complain when some on the spot rigging was necessary for dependable target backers on the retrievable target line. Although things slowed a bit we were able to run at our 'drink from a firehose pace' the remainder of the day.

And a big thank you to Heavyduty77 for his efforts. He did a great job and is always good to work with.

Some pics should be forthcoming.

And, as always, a Rifleman persists

crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Heavyduty77

Here's a picture of our two riflemen; Greg and Paul; congratulations! Greg also expressed an interest in possibly becoming an IIT. We would certainly like to see him join our group.

Although the weather was dismal outside we were fortunate to be inside the friendly and pleasant confines of the Torrington Gun Club.

The limited number of shooting ports required the implementation of two relay teams in order to complete the COFs but all went very well with everyone working together to make this a very successful AS.

Our two Junior shooters both showed much improvement despite a finicky bolt action rifle.

All of the shooters displayed appreciation for the instruction they received and we sincerely thank all of them for their participation.

As always, TOMINCT delivered another of his exceptional SB performances.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future." --Adolf Hitler, 1935

"Cause the registration of all firearms on some pretext, with the view of confiscating them and leaving the population defenseless." --Vladimir Ilich Lenin

"Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."                             -- Aristotle

albi641

I just want to thank you both for your patience and expertise yesterday.  It was the first time the girls had ever fired  rifles and the both left with knowledge and basic fundamentals to work with.  Thank you again. 

Kevin

skinnedknuckles49

First, I want to thank our excellent instructors for their time, dedication, and skill.  They did a great job putting on the event and giving us a tremendous amount of information in a very short period of time.  They are great coaches as well, and I learned a lot during the event.  Further, it was a great group of students to learn and shoot with.  Thanks as well to the other club members who were not able to shoot Saturday so we could have the event and I hope they will agree to a longer closure to allow a two-day event sometime in the future.

Unfortunately, the time constraints of a one-day event coupled with the extra time taken up with working in relays as we shared a shooting port were just too much.  It was great that the instructors willingly stayed until after 7 pm (I wasn't able to) but that did not make for the best learning environment.

Even by early afternoon it was obvious that we were running behind schedule and were trying to make it up by speeding up each evolution.  There were cycles where I had barely gotten into the sitting or prone position when it was announced that the preparation time was over.  I felt rushed but did not want to call for more time and delay the rest of the group.

I hope Appleseed will come back to Torrington Gun Club, and I hope that the club will be able to arrange for the event to be a two-day event, but I do not recommend attending there as a one-day event.