News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KD-Puryear, TN, April 30-May 1, 2016

Started by dond, May 04, 2016, 01:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

The weather forecast for the event was foreboding, but the weather itself was perfect. Five shooters assembled to begin the study of history and long range shooting. Presentations by LesMoore and dond covered IMC, trajectories, come-ups, Battle Sight Zero, and wind. JPL made contributions to these and later performed superbly in assisting shooters and as Line Boss.

Homework involving some of the presented items had been assigned previously and the shooters came prepared. And they absorbed the newly presented material very well. After this, everyone proceeded to the 600 yard range and obtained zeros at 100 yards, followed by shooting Stage 1. The same process was followed sequentially through Stage 4 at 400 yards and the process was continued.

The following day range estimation was presented. At the range scopes were calibrated in MOA and mil dots and range estimates were made for objects placed at distances from about 150 yards to those in excess of 600 yards. When calculations were compared with actual distances, the results were remarkably consistent.

Following this, come-ups were obtained for 500 and 600 yards. Then a resumption of the KD AQTs was continued.

The shooters are to be commended for their rapid absorption of the material and for their enthusiasm for learning. Some had not been to an Appleseed previously but were experienced shooters with known backgrounds. Therefore, they were given a brief synopsis of the material presented at an Appleseed. As a result of this, their performance of most of these items exceeded those of most of the attendees at a typical event. Furthermore all of these new ones will be attending the next Appleseed at this range in order to further refine their newfound knowledge, and some will be bringing family members. All of this speaks volumes about the ability and enthusiasm of these shooters.

A returning shooter, Jim, is to be commended for re-qualifying and for using two different rifles in doing so. Of particular interest is that the bolt-action he used had a tendency to drop the magazine after each shot. As a result, he not only had to work the bolt, but also slam the magazine back in for each shot.

It was a great weekend for all concerned and I have a great appreciation for all of the shooters.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Sheep Dog

This was a great weekend and I learned so much!

Jim is definitely a man who knows what he is about and embodies the phrase "Riflemen Persist."
It was an honor to shoot beside him.

Sheep Dog
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
-Thomas Jefferson

Tailwind

I don't know if you remember when Honda first started importing cycles in the 60's but one of their adds was "You meet the nicest people on a Honda."  Likewise "you meet the nicest people at an Appleseed."  We only had 5 shooters but an FBI agent, Army guard soldier and vet, a school teacher that could build anything, the president of the host gun club, and an old airline pilot made for a fun KD. I don't want to leave out our stellar instructors Don, the Yoda of rifle shooting and the great shooting couple of JP and Leslie.  We also had a variety of rifles shooting on the line ranging from an M1A, AR15's, a bolt action .223 and a bolt action .260 Remington tactical rifle.  I learned that no matter what rifle you shoot if you apply the steps to taking a shot you will hit your target and the more you practice the faster you can do it. Also thanks Don for the privilege of braking in your new Appleseed red steel target by letting me put 5 rounds in it at 600 yards.   :--- :--- :--- :--- :---