News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

HAT CREEK, CA INSTRUCTOR ONLY KD, APRIL 30-MAY 1, 2016

Started by NorCal22Gal, May 03, 2016, 11:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCal22Gal

The 2016 Hat Creek Instructor KD is a couple days in the past, but I know I will remember it as one of the best events I have ever had the honor of running.

Friday evening/night was time for those whose schedule allowed them to come up and assist in setting up the backers and making repairs on the targets. 

Saturday was very windy...at least our tent was well staked down!!!

We got the targets put up first thing, then gathered on Lexington Green. We reviewed safety and then eaglescouter started on the classroom portion of the event.  Teaching about battle sight zero, reading wind (including Fred's simple version!), ballistics and a few other things.  Then we reviewed positions and the need to have a very solid position and proper sling adjustment when firing a center fire.

A break for lunch, then try outs for Morgan's Riflemen were held.  Two metal head silhouettes were placed about 200 yards out and every one got one shot.  5 instructors joined the ranks of Morgan's Riflemen, Robert, Mike, Sam, Hans and Bob!

Squares at 25 meters helped everyone get sighted in.  Once sighted in the real fun of shooting full distance began!

After we were done shooting for the day, Sam ran the bbq like a pro and we all had what we brought to bbq and some yummy potluck dishes.

A bit more teaching on unknown distance and target detection/ranging was done in Buckman's Tavern before we retired for the night.

Sunday was a bit less windy, thankfully for those of us who tent camped.

The morning was spent in target detection and ranging, beginning with determining how many MOA's is your front sight, tip of pen, etc.

6 metal silhouettes were hidden in various spots out in the range area.  Eaglescouter and Scoutcamper did a very good job of both painting and hiding them...in one case too good a job...but I'll let one of them tell that story.....

The instructors worked in teams to locate the silhouettes and then to determine how far away they were.  Once that was done, they were allowed to shoot the targets.  It was great fun.

We stopped for an early lunch, then it was back to the line and time for some KD AQT's!!!

We ended up with 5 KD Riflemen!!!  First up was Ron with a 209 (Rifleman score for KD is 200 points), then Matt posted what ended up being the highest score of the day with a 229 (he also shot a 214 and a 225), Mike was up next re-qualifying with a 225 (and a 220), Elliott got a 221, and Sam a 228.  Nice job everyone!

Thanks to everyone for helping with the tear down. Many hands makes the job much easier!

Many thanks to eaglescouter and Scoutcamper for their work this weekend too.

Until next year.....

Laurie

22CaliBear

Dear Laurie,

There are so many things I enjoyed throughout the weekend, it's hard to list them all.  Everything from the instruction to the BBQ to the group of people that came together for this event, it was all an A plus!

Best range:  Hat Creek!
What a gorgeous setting.  And the FREEDOM!!!  It should come with a warning label:  Can be highly addictive.  Side effects may include feelings of peace and happiness.

Most fun activity:  Target detection.
I felt like a kid again playing games.  Except I never did anything like that as a kid, so it made it all the more fun.  When I told our children about it, they were so jealous!

Most interesting activity:  Measuring rifle sights/scope features in MOA
I found this exercise fascinating.  I could have spent a lot more time doing it just for the fun of it.

Best hope for the future:  Scoutcamper
I was so impressed by Scoutcamper's knowledge, helpfulness, manner, maturity, … I could go on and on.   He is an amazing young man.

Most inspiring story:  The one Eaglescouter told about the kid in the wheelchair.
I have a confession to make.  I was not planning on shooting Sunday afternoon.  I was sore.  I was tired. My elbows were bloody. Then Eaglescouter told the story and I realized I had to at least try.  It would be the height of stupidity to waste the wonderful opportunity to practice long-distance shooting.  So, I pushed through the pain and fatigue and I'm glad I did.

Most incredible high:  Getting most of my shots in the black at 400 yards.  I never dreamed I could do something like that.

Most brilliant idea:  Ladies-only porta-potties.  I really appreciated it.

Best free gift:  Thank you for the red bags!

Most thankful for:  You and Eaglescouter.  What a blessing that there are people like the two of you that are willing to give so generously of your time and treasure to provide a weekend like that for us.  Your generosity, patience, and dedication is truly admirable and appreciated.

Most negative aspect:  Having to go home.

Thank you for everything!  I had a great time.

--22CaliBear

NorCal22Gal

Marta, it was great to see you and meet your husband.  Glad you had a great time.  We sure had a great time!

The Horse

Hi Laurie,

That was an awesome weekend! I learned plenty and have alot to practice up on. Special thanks to you, Eaglescouter and Scoutcamper for all your hard work for putting on such a great event. Can't wait for the next one. Too bad they are only once a year. You have my vote for a 3 day event next year.

The Horse

WinterRider

Laurie what a great weekend!
Had a blast on the line... And learned alot behind the rifle and in the classroom.
Thanks to Huck for the great explanation of MIL dot scopes.
Met some great Appleseed instructors and hope to work with you folks in the future.
Special shout out to Matt. Thanks for inviting me to shoot your rifle. It was awesome to pick up a sighted rifle I've never shot and hit steel 4 out of 4 at 730 yards..that thing is a shooter for sure!

Scoutcamper as always thanks for enlightening me on numerous subjects and for helping put on a great event.
Thanks Joe I learn something every time I meet you.

Another great event run by a great shoot boss! Thanks Laurie.

NorCal22Gal

Hoping to get some pictures up soon. 

Have to figure out how to get them from my phone to the computer...  ;)

polygunner

Hi all.

This event was one of the best I've been to.

The course of instruction is full of great info. And I mean full! (drinking from a fire hose anyone?)

Eaglescouter, NorCal22Gal, and Scoutcamper (and others I'm sure)  have put together a challenging and informative COI that has obviously been refined and perfected over the years. :bow:

You all did a great job!

Got to meet new people and see old friends.
Got to get reacquainted with my shooting carpet.
Camping in the "woods" is always great.
Trying to get into the seated position after lunch is still difficult but doable (proper breathing isn't important, right?)
Target acquisition is a little (a lot) more difficult if you're using iron sights.
Hucks' elk was delicious. Thanks Huck! O0

Hat creek rifle club is a great venue and has at least a few instructors talking about joining. None live close. A testament to the value and quality of this great range.

Thanks to all that made this a great weekend for me (and many others I'm sure).

Thanks as always to Eaglescouter, NorCal22Gal, and Scoutcamper.

My only complaint is that you have me considering a scoped rifle #)

PG

NorCal22Gal

Polygunner, it was great to see you again!!  Hope to get to see you more often!! 

Glad you had a great time too.