News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rochester MN, April 23 and 24 After Action Report

Started by Sven, April 28, 2016, 01:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven

Saturday morning dawned sunny and inviting, temperatures pleasant in the 50s.  There had been a problem with the range from a supposed errant round the previous weekend and there had been some doubt as to whether we would be able to have the event.  That concern was rectified on Tuesday.  So on with the show it was.  Original registration was for 12 shooters,  the Welti family from Winona took advantage of the Groupon promotion to attend with their three children as walkons.  We had two no-shows for a total of 15 shooters on the line Saturday morning with all shooters returning Sunday.

The Rochester Sportsman club range is a nice facility with a covered firing line and several bays.  We were able to access a second bay on day two adjacent to the original to put younger shooters on line with a different course of instruction that allowed the older shooters to move forward more quickly.  The younger shooters were fine, it's just that transitions were not appropriate for them and they got more benefit from working on the basics of the six steps.  Thanks to Woody for overseeing that effort.

We had a lot of brand new shooters at the event and improvement developed rapidly, which is good considering we had four centerfire rifles on the line.  Alas, at the end of the day we had yet to produce a Rifleman score.

Sunday morning dawned cloudy with a threat of rain, but the most that materialized in Rochester that morning were a few brief, light showers, the heavy rain stayed well to the north throughout the day.  A lot of stiff and sore bodies showed up demonstrating persistence in action.  O0

The initial Redcoat Sunday morning displayed a very good retention of the previous day's lessons.  And on we went, sight confirmations, followed by transition practices, history and AQTs, the morning passed quickly.  But no Rifleman patches awarded.   :(

Sunday afternoon, more practice and AQTs, and as we were about to finish up lo and behold we have a Rifleman, the last AQT of the day, Nathan one of our new shooters pulled out a 220 score.   ^:)^ All in all a very good weekend with lots of learning taking place, I expect to see a number of Rifleman from that group in the coming months.
"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN

Kosciusko

Good job.

And thanks for taking this one so I could participate in and RSO at the Holmen   GSSF   shoot.

k

Sven

"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN