News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: MGGOA Twin Oaks Range, Dublin, GA 23-24APR16

Started by Guardian, April 26, 2016, 12:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian

We had great attendance this weekend for the event at Middle GA Gun Owner's Association's Twin Oaks Range in Dublin, Georgia.

Several attendees arrived Thursday and Friday afternoons to take advantage of the range's RV camping area. Friday evening, an impromptu orientation class was convened to give new shooters, that arrived early, the opportunity to become familiar with terms and basic operation. The Instructors were thankful for the initiative of the shooters to ask and were happy to accommodate.

Saturday morning, the campers cooked breakfast for themselves and the Instructors in the MGGOA clubhouse kitchen! The Instructors were appreciative of the gesture. After we ate and the other shooters arrived, we kicked things off with the welcome/introduction where we informed those that came to shoot that we had suckered them into a history and LIBERTY seminar.   >:D We promised they'd get some shooting in, too. We had 19 participants!

After learning the safety rules, common ammo malfunctions, and how to make our rifles safe we made our way to the firing line. Scarlett gave us an intro into the redcoat target, explaining why it deserved our focus. After engaging the redcoats, we discovered we had much room for improvement and immediately delved into the finer points of sling use, the prone position, six steps of firing the shot, NPOA, Rifleman's cadence, deciphering what our targets were telling us, how to adjust our sights, seated/kneeling positions, and then wrapped it up with the standing position. We took the time between periods of instruction to implement the skills to cement the idea. Unfortunately, we ran out of time before we could get an AQT in on Saturday, but we wrapped up with another redcoat and improvement was noted.

History was woven into the mix throughout the day and was used to give us a break from the heat. We were regaled with the First Strike by Scar, the Second Strike by Roswell, and the Third Strike by Scarlett. By the end of the day, we knew when the Revolution was won, where the Revolutionary War started, and who fired that fateful first shot in Lexington. We wrapped up the day with a benediction that included a call to arms, but one to use our brains.

We were also joined Saturday by a reporter from the local newspaper, The Dublin Courier Herald. I was glad Payton took the opportunity to fire at the redcoat target and put a few more rounds into a squares target. I look forward to reading his impressions.

Sunday, we had a smaller group due to a variety of reasons, but the group that arrived was ready to hit it again. Thirteen shooters were present plus several observers (Saturday shooters that were limiting their sun/heat exposure) that were attentive throughout the day. The Instructors appreciated the observers being aware of their limitations and not overdoing it, yet still getting all they could out of the experience.

We reviewed the fundamentals of marksmanship that were covered Saturday, confirmed zeros, and practiced on squares and greencoats. During lunch, we heard stories of individuals that made a difference on April 19, 1775 and at other points during the war. Sunday afternoon, those that wanted engaged AQTs while others focused on particular skills. DrJohn described to us the philosophy of LIBERTY held by the Founding Generation and gave us food for thought.

Taylor showed us he knew well was he was about. He scored a 210 on the first AQT and then avoided the cold water from the North Bridge by following it up with a 219. Congrats and Well Done! Please consider a change in headgear.

I was very impressed by the perseverance of the ladies this weekend. I know several of you felt you were out of place initially and I appreciate your willingness to give it a go. All of you showed great improvement and handled yourselves admirably! I look forward to seeing each of you back on the line.

AJ, you need a change in headgear, too! It's always good to see you and I hope you'll be back.

Richard, glad you came out with AJ and hope to see you back at another one. Dry firing by the numbers will help you get to that next level.

John, you felt it all come together, so you know what it's supposed to feel like. Dry firing will help you, as well. Remember to relax. Once you get that down, the rest will fall into place.

Steve R., you did well. You just have to get it all on one target. Focus your dry firing exercises on smoothness and the speed will come.

Kevin, equipment malfunctions and breakage are a part of Appleseed. Most of us have suffered through similar. You are an excellent shooter and I have no doubts you'll put it all together on paper soon, if the parts will hold up long enough.

Douglas, Tammy, and Steve W., I always love to see a family doing Appleseed together. You stuck with it and all of you improved. You were a pleasure to have on the line and I appreciate your focus. I hope to see you again. Put those LTRs to use with dry practice.......it doesn't have to "click" to have a positive effect.

Susan, equipment issues are the norm at an Appleseed event. I really appreciate your patience as we got it figured out and your persistence (with a soft cast on a foot, no less) is admirable. I hope to see you at another event and see what you can do without the hindrances. Focus on building solid positions.

Charlotte, you overcame frustration that I've seen take more than one person out of the game. You had a LOT going on and still managed to keep your head up. New equipment at an Appleseed always presents a challenge, but you overcame it. Work on building solid shooting positions and you'll see the payoff at the next event.

Darlene, you get the award for most improved! You challenged your fears and reaped the rewards! Congrats! I hope you continue to pursue the path to Rifleman (Riflewoman), as you are certainly capable of it. A shorter rifle stock will make it easier for you to work with it.

Jan, thanks for your willingness to ask whenever you were unsure! I wish everyone would be so engaged. These classes are all about getting the information you need, which you made easier for us to communicate. Stick with it and it will all come together for you.

Curt, thanks for coming out. Sorry you had to leave early to attend to your cat, but we understand. Hope to see you at another one.

Vincent, I hope you saw the same improvement in your skills that we did. Thanks for coming out. Focus on your respiratory pause and relaxation to get to the next level. Come on back, anytime!

Beth, I appreciate your willingness to use another rifle. There is nothing wrong with the one you brought, but I believe your willingness to use a loaner resulted in a less frustrating experience. Your commitment to your goal was apparent and much appreciated! Work on solid positions and the rest will be easier.

Mike, it's always a pleasure to have you on the line. I see improvement with each event you attend and I look forward to seeing you at the next one. Your self awareness is commendable and appreciated.

If I missed anyone, my apologies. It was an honest oversight on my part. Thanks to all for coming out, being engaged and attentive, and being safe! You were, without doubt, the safest group I have worked with. Remember to 7th step and bring 'em with ya!

Instructors, thanks to each of you for coming out and helping ensure the event was successful. I believe it was in the eyes of all!

Harleypilot

I will be the first to say that I came in with LOTS of bad habits. I cannot say enough about how great you guys all were. So dedicated to the cause and to us. A special THANK YOU to DocJohn, Guardian, Dixie Girl for all the individual coaching and help. See you all next time with my 7th step neighbors in tow!!

Harleypilot

By the way,will there be pics posted? Because, well I refer you to the signs above :-)

Roswell

:pics:

Saturday:

Students shooting green coat targets in the seated position

As you can see we had a pretty large line of Patriots this weekend (as represented below by the target line)

As usual we did most of our work in the prone position

Guardian closed things out with a beautiful benediction that really drove things home for everyone

Sunday:

Our instruction began with mother-son Instructor team Scarlett and Warden doing a combined review of Sling/Prone/NPOA/Rifleman's Cadence

Then it was time for some prone work!  ~~:)

Students showed steady progression all weekend

The highlight for me was DrJohn's talk about Liberty and the Founding Fathers

There is always one rifle at these events that catches the eyes. This time it was a pink one with glitter.   **)  Nice rifle Dixie Girl and good workmanship Guardian

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Guardian

Ross,

Thanks for saving my bacon.....again. As usual, I got distracted and didn't get many pics. Here's what I do have.

DrJohn giving us some instruction:

Dixie Girl telling us about Elizabeth Zane:

Roswell telling us about Nancy Hart:

Taylor getting that coveted patch:

If anyone has more, feel free to post them!

taylor.

Thanks Scarlett, Guardian, Roswell, and DrJohn for all the great instruction this weekend!

I'll be back soon to take care of those other 31 points (and the seventh step)!

misawa

QuoteWe were also joined Saturday by a reporter from the local newspaper, The Dublin Courier Herald. I was glad Payton took the opportunity to fire at the redcoat target and put a few more rounds into a squares target. I look forward to reading his impressions.
Even though he could only shoot a couple times, he had a blast!  "I didn't know that's what you did - and you're a Rifleman?!  With a red hat and everything?!"   ;D

Thanks for setting him up and nudging him.

Roswell

Quote from: taylor. on April 27, 2016, 09:31:59 AM
Thanks Scarlett, Guardian, Roswell, and DrJohn for all the great instruction this weekend!

I'll be back soon to take care of those other 31 points (and the seventh step)!

I hope so and seriously consider that hat.   ;)

Quote from: misawa on April 27, 2016, 03:56:12 PM
QuoteWe were also joined Saturday by a reporter from the local newspaper, The Dublin Courier Herald. I was glad Payton took the opportunity to fire at the redcoat target and put a few more rounds into a squares target. I look forward to reading his impressions.
Even though he could only shoot a couple times, he had a blast!  "I didn't know that's what you did - and you're a Rifleman?!  With a red hat and everything?!"   ;D

That is so good to hear! It was a pleasure meeting Payton.  He is welcome on the line any time.  Thank you SO MUCH for helping get that together.   :bow:
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Guardian

Quote from: misawa on April 27, 2016, 03:56:12 PM

Corrected