News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Harvard, MA 4/16-17/2016 AAR

Started by lupis42, April 21, 2016, 06:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lupis42

What a weekend!

The numbers tell a story all by themselves:
65 degrees and sunny.
0 Serious safety issues.
54 shooters altogether.
9 riflemen.
~1500 rounds from the advanced line, making 6 riflemen.
~100 rounds on Saturday from the beginners line, turning 5 new shooters into capable marksmen.
2 visiting instructors from Virginia, who got to meet some of the cream of Massachusetts' Americans on the Appleseed line.
3 IITs improving their instructing skills.
4 lines Saturday, and 3 Sunday.
~2x the percentage of shooters hitting the Redcoats at each distance by the end of the weeked.

From the numbers alone, you can tell it was a good Appleseed.  Just as the Redcoats casualty numbers at Lexington tell one story, and their casualty numbers at Concord tell another, our shooters Redcoats Saturday morning tell one story, and their Redcoats Sunday afternoon another. 

Numbers, however, are not the whole story.  That story is in the collected experiences, and reactions, of those of us who took part in it, and it's effect on the courses of our lives in the future.  I have already heard some good stories, and seen some good reactions.  I hope that everyone who was on the line with us will remember, and apply, not only the marksmanship lessons they have learned, but the heritage we shared.  It was a pleasure, and an honor to instruct you all, and I hope to see you on the line again soon.
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

VietVet

54 Shooters?

MA sure knows how to get Shooters on the Line.

Great work ALL! :bow:
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

hbennett

Focus Your Mind on Keeping the Front Sight on the Target
--
"I'm a free born man of the U.S.A."

Mr. Brownstone

This was a great weekend! We had a crew of about 14 people on the first day and 11 made it back for the second day.   Included in our group were 14 & 17 old girls, their mother, and a 20 year old young woman, who are now super excited about shooting.  Both fathers were with me on the accelerated line, one got his patch this weekend, the other didn't but got it last time. 

I had the 20 year old in my first Basic Firearms Safety class a couple weeks ago and she is going for her MA LTC next month after her birthday. Her dad, who was shooting to my left, promised her the 10/22 she shot today if/when she gets her patch.

My father was all the way down on Range 1 with his my 10/22.  He was sore as hell, but managed to drag himself back Sunday.  He had fun as well!

Special thanks to Matt (Lupis42) for doing a spectacular job of managing such a large group. You ran a great "accelerated" line that was safe, efficient, and fun.

"AIM" I didn't get to work with you, but the girls really loved your style!

Hbennet, my friend was with you on your line (NES Shiprec) on Saturday and enjoyed talking to you. 

The boys on the accelerated line are looking forward to, and have already signed up for AR-Seed in October.  We were maybe already back at the range shooting the little 400 M targets.

Rasmus

It was a GREAT weekend. Great job by all the instructors. Presentations were great and the 4:00pm national redcoat target salute to the fallen heroes in Lexington was very moving and great to be a part of all of it.

Thanks to the instructors that helped my girlfriend get her new 10/22 in order on the first day.

Thank you all.

The Wolfhound

Safely back in the "Olde Dominion" after a wonderful trip.  It was a delight to assist a patriot's day shoot near the actual sites of the action.  Dangerous Cook and I had a great time helping out and taking in the historic sites and re-enactments.  I hope our passion for "the Story" shows that other states get it too.   Our Virginia shooters will benefit from the "Happy Trigger Drill" and shooting around the clock squares. 

The Wolfhound

There are some amazing artifacts in Acton.  This one was visiting when we were there:

hbennett

I had the honor and privilege of working with Dangerous Cook on Saturday.  Her knowledge and wisdom was greatly appreciated.

Thank you Wolfhound and Dangerous Cook for making the Harvard Appleseed a part of your tour. 
Focus Your Mind on Keeping the Front Sight on the Target
--
"I'm a free born man of the U.S.A."

The Wolfhound

Dangerous Cook got a few pictures on Sunday.  Here are some of the best:

The Wolfhound

and a few more:

Josey Wales

..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

The Wolfhound

Be sure to see my post in the Virginia Forum.  I explain where the "Acton" Musket came from.  I think you will be surprised.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=48320.0

lupis42

Wolfhound,

That is very cool.  I am indeed surprised.  Good thing you were in need of coffee.  O0
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.