News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

College Station, TX April 16/17 2016 AAR

Started by Sir Not Appearing In This Film, April 20, 2016, 10:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

19 shooters Saturday.

10 shooters Sunday.

TWO Riflemen forged!

I'll get more details and photos up as soon as I can.

Though rain forecast  threatened the event we pressed on - it just rained for a bit on Saturday.

The delay  in posting s because TT92 and I got caught in the massive SE Texas rains Sunday night - on the way home my vehicle threw its serpentine belt and overheated - cracked the radiator tank. I spent the night in the vehicle Sunday night/Monday morning as the flooding was too high for even a tow truck to get it home. When water subsided Monday afternoon I finally got home. Had rifles on board - I refused to leave those unattended.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Weezer

That is dedication, my friend.   Next time call - we'll come down and rescue you the rifles.   ;D   

In all seriousness, I'm sorry to hear about your truck and your long night/day on the side of the road.   How high did the water get?   And do you now have issues related to the flooding on top of the cracked radiator?
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

scuzzy

Quote from: Sir Not Appearing In This Film on April 20, 2016, 10:15:52 AM
Had rifles on board - I refused to leave those unattended.

LOL - Babies on Board. 

Jeez - guess I'm dating myself. Anybody else remember the BoB bumper stickers?

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

DrRichP

Thanks to our instructor crew who put on a great event and heartfelt thanks to all who showed up and made this event a huge success!  O0
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

tehlump

A heartfelt thank you to the volunteer instructors! We had a great time at our second appleseed and will definitely be returning again soon. I am lucky enough to have a son and nephews who enjoy these events, can't wait for the next one!

Quote from: tehlump on April 22, 2016, 10:41:38 AM
A heartfelt thank you to the volunteer instructors! We had a great time at our second appleseed and will definitely be returning again soon. I am lucky enough to have a son and nephews who enjoy these events, can't wait for the next one!

Remember - don't ever do that bad again!  ~~:)
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

OK - vehicle operational and trustworthy again...

19 shooters joined us on Saturday. Strangely we had no walk-on shooters. I recognized a few shooters from the April 2015 CS AS shoot.

We really had a great crew of instructors on deck at this event. I cannot thank them enough. Having a team of 6 instructing made for a very safe, enjoyable and smooth event.

Forecast was for rain - which only manifested in a brief shower Saturday afternoon. It was overcast, humid and very windy. Thing is we had so many weather cancellations last year I was determined to press on. On occasion we heard distant thunder, but I saw no lightning.  Somehow, some way we avoided our traditional College Station April MUDFEST.

TT92 spearheaded the range set up. Once shooters were checked in they were put to work helping set up the range. Everyone was checked in and safety briefing began promptly at 8:30AM.

Ghostring, Tank5 and TT92 covered safety rules, safe rifle, line commands, etc.

Ladyseed Man Slave

CaptG called the line on Saturday AM.

Didactic - my boot camp alumni - brought his maps and did a wonderful 1st Strike. The sun even came out for a bit during his presentation.

CaptG covered 2nd Strike - made you feel almost like you were there.

Didactic and CaptG each have a voice very well suited for public speaking. I could listen to them tell history all day.
Ladyseed Man Slave

Ghostring called the line Saturday afternoon. Rumor has it that he is working toward a different color hat.

We did the volley with the rest of the nation when the time came.

The brief rain shower came right as shooters were beginning Stage 1 of one of the AQT drills.

Ladyseed Man Slave

Ghostring describes sitting/kneeling while caveman (me) models.

Please note our instructional "rifle" in the photo uses an incomplete receiver. It cannot fire. There is no fire control mechanism nor is there a place to put one. It is however able to accept/lock/release a magazine and thus is extremely useful in safely demonstrating mag changes while not on the firing line.

Ladyseed Man Slave

3rd Strike

Soon after we ended the Saturday activity.

We were able to get through two AQT's before adjourning Saturday afternoon.

My favorite statement overheard Saturday AM from a shooter "All these years in the military and they never showed me how to use a sling like this." (Paraphrased).
Ladyseed Man Slave

Sunday! 10 Shooters returned to persist.

Every time I saw a red shirt I thought "Who is this guest instructor?"  :slap:

Ladyseed Man Slave

A RIFLEMAN IS FORGED! GOOD GOING CASEY! I believe he scored 216.

OK, back to work...

Stay vigilant...
Ladyseed Man Slave

On one of the last AQTs of the day...

CJ made a 210 Rifleman score!

Of course Public Rifleman Math mandates that 210 = H20. Public math is always ugly and sneaky...

Congrats CJ!

Ladyseed Man Slave

TT92

For anyone who may be interested, the shooter with the SKS did not quite make a Rifleman score, but many of us were very impressed with the accuracy he was able to achieve with that piece of Communist engineering and bulk, steel-cased ammo.  I have rarely seen an SKS wielded as proficiently.  I believe the shooter would have been able to earn a patch had this been a three-day Appleseed.   ;)
I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!!