News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chugiak,Alaska 16 & 17 April 2016 Patriots Day Shoot

Started by fisherdawg, April 19, 2016, 02:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisherdawg

If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

509gman

"What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, before he was killed by a Confederate sniper.

FourFans

ONE,,, The only good thing that can be said about one, is that it's way better than none.

Twenty-four fellow patriots assembled on a brisk Saturday morning, eager to learn about rifle marksmanship and its' tie-in to our unique history. This weekend's group was composed of mostly new faces with a few familiar old friends, and kids. Lots of kids.
Sometimes when a firing line consists of so many young kids it can spell problems, or at least a very long day for the instructor cadre.

Not in this case. A few of these youths were returnees; all were dialed in and very attentive. Most were a pleasure to work with.
The day's instruction and history lessons progressed with the usual Alaskan excellence, but produced only one Rifleman.

Hazzah!! To Pete A. who, with a fine 231, got Alaska started on it's second 100 Riflemen.
Yours truly was awarded the coveted RED HAT, and the cadre picked up a new Orange Hat, 3gunner.   Awesome.

Sunday started equally brisk but promised to warm some. The morning's quick review of the instruction had us on time for the noon Memorial Volley, Fisherdawg rarely falls prey to the time monkey. The volley went off with only one hitch. Seems that a few of the shooters did not get the part where it's "one name, one shot" and proceeded with mag-dumps until quickly corrected. It spoiled the mood a little at the time, but was actually funny at the de-brief. 509Gman and Hogfamily added to the event by bringing their flintlocks for some additional ambiance.

The day saw marked improvement in virtually all 17 returning shooters, but sadly no additional Riflemen.
Derrin (Alaska Rifleman #1, as in FIRST) requaled while shooting next to his son.
Slowpoke (Alaska Rifleman #9) requaled with an AK-47; to everyone's knowledge, this was the first and only time in Alaska.
IIT Fireweed completed all requirements and was awarded her RED HAT,,, very well earned young lady.
Slowpoke and Mike F. stepped up to take their Orange Hats and will both be outstanding additions to our cadre Hazzah!
The universal theme of both days debriefs seemed to be how impressed everyone was with both the instructors and the students.

So, we picked up 2 new Red Hats, 3 new Orange hats, and one new Rifleman. I guess sometimes one is better than none.
  --FF

"should something happen,,tell the children of this night".
   --credited to Capt Parker, April 18th '75

22 A DAY

Pete!

I said, "Get that trigger knee up!" She got that trigger knee up. Oh, to be that flexible.  ;D
-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

hogfamily

HUZZAH!

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

FourFans

"should something happen,,tell the children of this night".
   --credited to Capt Parker, April 18th '75

22 A DAY

Hyde

Thanks all for the great event.  Happy to be Alaska Rifleman #101! I finally got around to joining the forum, but am glad I did.  The pictures here are great.  Looking forward to the next event.

Pete "Hyde" Anderson

Texas T

Wow! What an event. Thanks to all who have stepped up to take on the coveted Orange Hat and congrats to our newest instructors. Looks like it was a great group to work with.   O0
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017