News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho April 16-17, 2016

Started by eert, April 18, 2016, 10:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

ItsanSKS

Hats off to EERT and crew, you guys ran a great event.  I'm happy to have been able to help out.

First, I'd like to talk about the range.  The Fernan Rod and Gun Club has multiple bays, offering shooters opportunity to try out many different disciplines.  Nestled in the Idaho Panhandle National Forest, FRGC is surrounded by absolutely gorgeous scenery.  Not as gorgeous as Alaska, mind you, but gorgeous nonetheless.  :P

This weekend, students and instructors alike were able to enjoy fantastic weather for this outdoor event, with temperatures ranging from low-to-mid 50's in the morning, warming up to mid-70's in the afternoon, with clear skies throughout.   

When I arrived at 0730 on Saturday, I found the Shoot Boss, EERT, already had things well in hand.  An 'old hat' at this, Pat was busy getting a registration table set up, certain that more than a few of our students would arrive well before the scheduled start time.  Meanwhile, his son, known as Roland here on the forum, and "Mr. Clean", were busy putting their well-deserved Red Hats to work, coordinating the construction/assembly of the target line.  I fell in under the direction of these competent instructors, ensuring that our targets would be placed at the requisite 25m (82'), and that the firing line was ready to receive students. 

It was not long before students began trickling in, and the instructors made sure that everyone got checked in and assigned a slot on the firing line.  As shooting mats, ammo cans and coolers made their way to the line, the feeling of anticipation began to build. 

With all the necessary pre-event paperwork complete, Pat got the festivities started with a Pledge of Allegience to Old Glory, then began our morning safety briefing.  Covering everything from the Four Safety Rules, to maintaining proper hydration, and how to make a rifle safe, the safety briefing was a whirlwind of information, an omen of what was to come.

After every student was able to express an understanding of the Four Safety Rules, they were released to their vehicles to bring rifles to the line.  They were then introduced to their nemesis, the Hits Count! target (affectionately known as the Redcoat target).

The Redcoat target features four reduced size silhouettes, scaled to represent the US Army "D" silhouette at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards, when posted at 25m.  This target is used Saturday morning to determine a skill baseline, prior to any marksmanship instruction.  Each silhouette requires three rounds, with the smallest target being all but impossible to see through iron sights. 

By and large, your average fellow Americans are incapable of scoring three hits on any but the 100 yard silhouette.  The students we had in Coeur d'Alene were decidedly NOT your average Americans.  I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I distinctly remember being surprised at the number of students who were able to successfully engage not only the 100, but the 200 and 300 yard silhouettes as well!  One fine shooter was able to successfully engage all four silhouettes, making ragged holes appear near the center of his targets. 

Far from being satisfied with their above-average performance on the Redcoat target, our students were eager to delve into the marksmanship instruction, and we instructors were happy to oblige.  Over the course of the next few hours (which really were a blur) our students were introduced to concepts such as using a sling to support their rifles, the Steady Hold Factors for multiple positions, (prone, seated/kneeling and standing) along with esoteric concepts such as The Six Steps to firing a shot, and Natural Point of Aim. 

With their heads full of information, but their stomachs running on empty, the Shoot Boss called a halt to the festivities, allowing the first break in nearly 4 hours.  As the students took a break to ravage their food supplies, Dirk and myself presented the first two Strikes of the Match- the story of the birthing pains our nation underwent on April 19th, 1775. 

Our students learned of the true events of that fateful day, when the "shot heard 'round the world" was fired. In thoughtful silence, they learned of the lives lost, sacrifices made, all in the hope, that one day, the people of America would be free from the oppressive rule of tyrants.  They learned that, while "taxation without representation" was a rallying cry for politicians, defense of Liberty was what motivated shopkeepers, farmers, blacksmiths and tanners to take up arms against the greatest military ever known- an act of pure defiance, without but a shred of hope, an Appeal to Heaven, for their success. 

The remainder of the day was a blur of activity.  Changing targets, performing Rifleman Calisthenics (transitions from standing to prone, or standing to seated), practicing magazine changes, all culminating in the introduction to their final exam, The Appleseed Qualification Target, or AQT. 

The AQT is a timed and scored test, requiring mastery of the techniques taught at Appleseed. It has multiple targets, scaled to represent silhouettes at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards.  Each target has a scoring ring, and Only Hit Count. Shooting from field positions, at tiny targets, with ridiculously short time requirements, the AQT is the anvil upon which we hammer out Riflemen. 

Our students first go at the AQT was lackluster at best.  A full days worth of instruction had sunk in, but they were dog tired.  Rather than belabor the obvious, that our students were exhausted, Pat ordered up the final target of the day, an opportunity to again engage the Redcoats. 

Showing the same grit and persistence as their forefathers, our students made ready to do battle against their nemesis.  Prepping mags, devising strategies, they each moved toward their rifles with grim determination. 

As the dust settled and the smoke cleared, our students showed that they had certainly been paying attention throughout the day.  Every single one of them were able to successfully engage at 100 yards, with the majority able to engage at 200 or even 300 yards.  There were even a few who cleared the target, successfully engaging at all distances- no easy feat, even for a seasoned Appleseed vet. 

I'd like to thank the students and instructor cadre for this wonderful experience.  With my work schedule being what it has been, it is not often that I am able to make it to Appleseed events.  This event reminded me of what I've been missing, rekindled the passion that I have for instructing.   You've recharged my batteries, and I hope that in some small way, I was able to help you all as well. 

Upon returning home to Alaska, I was disappointed to read that one of the early founders of Appleseed, Chris "The Guy" Gibb passed away this weekend.  The Guy was an inspiration to many instructors, myself included.  Working dozens of events every year, often times on back-to-back weekends.  I fondly remember reading his posts on this forum, wondering where he drew his strength; how in the world could someone work so very many events in a single year? 

I learned a little about that this weekend. 

An instructor spends time away from family, friends and their home, but returns rejuvenated.  The smiles, handshakes, the marked improvement in marksmanship, and most importantly, the better understanding of the ideals of our founders, make it all worthwhile. 

An external tribute to The Guy:
http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=20811
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Snow Snake

What a great crew of yellow,red and green hats! The range was in good shape.The weather was spectacular.What a lucky group of students we were.Thank you.
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great
"The other side of every fear is a freedom."- Ferguson
" Hey Mikey, I'm about to punch that time clock"-Lone Survivor