News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho April 16-17, 2016

Started by eert, April 18, 2016, 10:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eert

I was initially disappointed in the low registration numbers for this shoot.  The Patriot's Day weekend historically has always been one of our most popular events.  However, that disappointment didn't last long for this group of 16 was truly a memorable event.  One couldn't ask for folks with a more teachable attitude. 

The day started with the Red Coat Qualification Target and one shooter actually cleaning the first Red Coat.  I forgot who that was, but I'm guessing it was Josh, Grissom, or Bob.  If not, sorry, that's what you get when the Shoot Boss doesn't write stuff down.  All shooters made good progress throughout the day, and the ending day one Red Coat had 14 of 16 shooters qualifying compared to 8 in the morning.  Expectations were high for awarding multiple Rifleman patches on Sunday.

Sunday started the day with 3 less shooters and we were sorry not to see them come back.  Jeff, who shot really well on Saturday, and I had the expectation that he would earn a RM score Sunday, had to leave at noon for a family emergency.  Jeff, my heart and prayers go out to you.  I look forward to seeing you again on the line for that patch, and the opportunity to talk you into an orange hat. 

We had more center fire rifles than I've encountered in quite a while, 7 of the 16 shooters.  ITSANSKS volunteered to teach an unplanned KD session, and since the range wasn't busy was able to utilize the Rife line for some 100 to 300 yard shooting.  Hopefully, we won't get any Club member complaints about using the non-scheduled range. 

Great weather was had, hopefully no one got sunburned on Day 2!  It was great seeing old shooter friends again:  Grissom, Bob, Ken.  Ken shot multiple RM scores for his first patch, and Bob repeated with the high shoot score of 228(?).  Bob ran all Day 1 with a lever 30/30, next to Grissom with his AR-10.  Lots of noise on that end on the line!  But the prize for the sound of liberty has to go to new shooter Verne who sported an enviable 30.06 M1.  I think because of his M1, I signed more CMP training certificates than I have even at way more attended shoots!

We had several shooters knocking on the ole Rifleman door.  Mandy, one of our new students was cracking 180 regularly with an AR. A RM patch is certainly in her future.  Incredible progress.  Reina shot more consistently than I've ever seen her shoot.  Multiple scores over 205!  So, so close.  I think if we added your top 4 target scores, you would likely have been the number two shooter, only falling to Ken.  Keep it up, you are almost there.  Reina's brother Luke shot a 211 to earn his patch.  I still remember their Dad shooting a 210 and getting a bucket along with his patch.  Luke joins his Dad, Mr. Clean, in the Appleseed Program as he volunteered for an Orange hat.  Huzzuhs for our new and repeat Rifleman! 

For my Junior shooters, Curtis and Aidan, work on those six steps during dry fire to up your skill level and make it repeatable.  Of course dry fire is the answer for everybody, there is no better (or economical) way to practice your steady hold positions factors, and those pesky transition stages.  You can PM (personal message) me (eert) on this Forum for a good Dry-Fire Appleseed article, pdf targets, sling instructions, etc. 

I hope to see many of you again.  I was pleased to note that Mandy is already signed up for our next shoot in May up at Farragut State Park.  We must be doing something right!

Lastly, thank you Instructors, it is always a pleasure working the line with you.  Sensorguy, our newest IIT came up from Walla Walla to join us.  I forgot to allow him to relay his version of the Intolerable Acts, so you all have me to blame for that.  You'll just have to keep coming until you get to hear it! BorderRun, Mr. Clean, Roland, Sensor, and our guest Instructor ITSANSKS did a great job of interacting with the students to help them progress as shooters. 

Since tomorrow is Patriot's Day, how about everyone who attended tell at least one person some of our April 19, 1775 heritage! 

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

when the known dist class was going on this was above the berm on the hill. all photo taken from equip line.

Border-Run

up at the known dist line

Border-Run

more KD

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run

Border-Run