News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Philly April 16 & 17 AAR

Started by Corvette, April 18, 2016, 01:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

This is just a placeholder for the full AAR to follow.  Great shoot with lots to talk about but in case folks just can't wait for the full report, wanted to at least open up a thread.  More to follow.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Cadence

THIS APPLESEED WAS ON FIRE!!! - LITERALLY!  >:D
Saturday was cut short due to a fire in the woods behind an adjacent range. I will let Corvette explain in his AAR.
This was my first time to the New Philly range but certainly will not the last - great facility.

Had a great time meeting my new Appleseed compatriots Wheeler and BAS as well as old friends Charley, Yankee and Chippendale.

Congrats to Tom and Janice from Pittsburgh for taking blue hats. Hope to see you again on the trail.  O0
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Corvette

Wow, what a great shoot. It was good to be back at the finest range in Ohio, Tusco Rifle Range in New Philadelphia, Ohio.  We had 13 shooters on the  line Saturday morning.  After the welcome and the safety briefing, we were on the line to start the weekend.  The shooters showed that they brought some great skills to the event.  Out of 13 shooters we had 9 competent at 100 and half at 200 on the initial redcoat target.  Instructions began with the steady hold factors, the six steps and NPOA.  The weather was perfect and every shooter had a great learning attitude.  Before we knew it, it was time for lunch.  As always, Tusco had a great lunch available for our shooters and the first strike was presented.

After lunch, we returned to the line and continued our instructions.  It was shortly there after that things got interesting.  It seems that someone on an adjacent range may have used some incendiary rounds which started a fire in the woods behind their range. Unfortunately, the fire fighters needed to cross our range to get to the fire so we were shut down.  We did the second strike while we waited to see what would happen next and at the direction of the club management, we re-located to the small bore range at the other end of the property. 

No sooner had we done that when we got notice that the fire commander wanted the entire range closed until they could suppress the fire.  So we closed the line and delivered the third strike.  We only got to the seated instructions before we were closed down.  The Saturday call to action was delivered and we closed out operations for Saturday.

Sunday dawned into another great day weather wise.  We picked up some additional shooters and the morning RedCoat showed great potential. Of 16 shooters, 14 were competent at 100 yds, 10 at 200, and 7 joined Daniel Morgan's rangers.  This was a portent to a great Sunday. We pushed to get Standing instructions completed, and to move on to the AQT grind. We had some very special results.  First, Hannah finally got her patch.  She has joined us before with her family and last fall, she knocked on the door more than anybody I have ever worked without crossing the threashold. Last fall she shot multiple 200+ AQTs with a high of 209.  But she just couldn't get the 210.  Well on our first AQT, she shot 212 and I was proud to award her a Riflewomen's patch. 

Next we had Robbie.  He is all of 12 year's old.  I first met Robbie two year's ago along with his parents who are currently IIT's.  Early on , Robbie was lucky to break 100. He has worked hard over the last year with his parents to improve his skills and on his first AQT this weekend, he posted a 213 and got his patch.  I am so pleased that I was able to be the Shoot Boss at the event that he scored Rifleman. 

Casen also stepped up and put a 214 on the board in his first AQT.  He proceeded to back it up with two more Riflemen scores on Sunday.  Overall, we had a great group of shooters.  I would like to also compliment Cathy on her progress during the weekend.  This was her first time ever shooting a rifle.  We started Saturday with her not even cutting paper and by Sunday, she was scoring great on her AQT's.  She ended up shooting a 195 on her last AQT and I am sure that if she comes to another shoot, she will shoot Riflewomen. 

The day ended with some full distance work at 200 and 300 yards and we closed another great shoot at New Philly.

Many thanks to Tusco Rifle Club for hosting us, to Cadence, little buddy, Wheeler, BAS, Charley, and Chippendale for helping with the shoot.

Also, my thanks to all the shooters for working so hard and bringing such a great attitude to a great range making for a great Appleseed.  Huzzah.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Charley

What an awesome shoot it was! Awesome job Cathy at scoring a 195....keep practicing and come on back for more! You'll get that Riflewoman patch yet! I didn't get to work with a lot of the other shooters but those that i was able to talk with had great teachable attitudes! I hope to see you on the trail in the future.....pics to follow

Charley

Janice and Tom take blue hats and Saturday instruction

Charley

The line

Charley

Lone

Charley

Sunday morning instruction

Charley

Bas calling the line and learning about the flags

Charley

Learning the AAT and Patriots day commemorative shoot

Charley

Ridlemen and Riflewoman! Huzzah!

Charley

Proud parents

DrRichP

Great pictures. Thanks to our instructor crew who put on a great event and heartfelt thanks to all who showed up and made this event a huge success!  O0
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Texas T

This was an awesome session. Seeing the young age of some of the participants and the involvement of family groups was truly inspirational. We had a couple of father/son combinations, a father, son and daughters, and two father, mother and son sets. You'd have to call this weekend a "family affair". With the brush fire almost close enough to toast marshmallows, it was a unique experience.

Stay safe and on target

Tom
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Shep

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Cadence

Congratulations to all those who got off the couch and came out to celebrate our freedoms on Patriot's weekend.
Three Big HUZZAH's to those who persisted and shot rifleman and riflewomen on Sunday.

Another typical Appleseed situation for Cathy who wasn't on paper Saturday morning but had that teachable attitude and drive, and ended up knocking on the door for the patch. Good job!! Of course a lot of credit goes to Charley for giving Cathy a one-on-one Ladyseed during Saturday's instruction.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams