News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru, CA April 16-17, 2016 After Action Report

Started by bob 210, April 18, 2016, 01:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob 210

Another awesome April 19th weekend at Piru. We were attended by a great group of Americans to celebrate the April 19th weekend and what a great group they were. We ended up with every shooter having a qualifying score and two new Riflemen that promptly accepted the Orange Hat of Destiny as they stepped into their new roles of IIT's! Congratulations guys! More to come.....    Post your reply's and pics here!
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

bob 210

Erich Makes Rifleman!
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

bob 210

bob 210

Congratulations to our new Orange Hats!

Redfeather

Pb-J

Good news about the couple of new of Riflemen.  Erich showed great pommies early on.  I also remember Dimitri from Saturday!   The attitude of all of these shooters was good to be around.   Perseverance & determination seems to be paying off again.
-jeff

F_letch

I had a great weekend!  Much improved from previous Appleseed and learned a lot more for the next :-)
Thanks to Bob, Chris, and Ronnie...and Barret
Congratulations Erich and Dmitri

Chris

F_letch

Quote from: F_letch on April 18, 2016, 03:31:37 PM
I had a great weekend!  Much improved from previous Appleseed and learned a lot more for the next :-)
Thanks to Bob, Chris, and Ronnie...and Barret
Congratulations Erich and Dmitri

Chris

Forgot to add...now I want a Garand too

twobeagles

What a great weekend in Piru. It lived up to it's name sake "dusty and windy."  Congrats to our new Riflemen and Orange Hats. Chris & I are looking forward to being with you on the trail. 
What a great group this weekend. Chris, Paul, Jason-keep practicing and come back to another Appleseed to earn your Rifleman patches. You are all knocking on the door.  ^:)^

hardlyworking

Erich here,

Thank you Bob, Chris & Ronnie!  I honestly was worried about doing it with a bolt-action, and having done it I would not recommend it.  I received so many small fine points to go with the fundamentals I've been practicing since last year's April 19th class.  How to use the scope, repeatability, and to focus on getting into and using the sitting position (and kicking its butt) instead of kneeling and getting all 10 shots off, made all the difference.  That and taking...my...t.i.m.e. on stage 4.

Bob210 I'm not sure how one sends a PM here so if you see this before I figure it out please send me Orange Hat instructions.  I'm pretty sure my wife won't be happy, but my kids are excited and eager to become Appleseeders themselves.

Pb-J

An interesting antidote from my first day wearing an Orange-hat that had me worried:
   One shooter seemed to have just a little experience prior to this 16-17-April event *but* this person asked me "how do you deploy the rear sight on this AR15?    I should have taken that question as a warning [not a bad thing] but I recognized what was being asked and I noticed that the aftermarket [plastic, Magpul] sight that was on this particular carbine was just like one that I removed and discarded from a previous rifle of my own. 
   To make a long story short, it took me three target-squares to figure out [thanks Bob] that this Rear-sight was installed backwards from the word go . . . .
The back and forth of getting this aftermarket sight to perform as we expected took one or two Squares longer to nail down than one if us expected.   And the shooter wanted to sit out the 4th-5th Squares that were next up.   I took this as my fault and really thought that I had not figured out the sighting problem fast enough and felt really guilty that I had turned off a Saturday-AM Appleseeder's experience with my lack of experience . . .
Then at lunchtime I overheard [thankfully] that this shooter actually was sore from recoil of the AR15 and wanted to either try a 22LR-rifle or simply sit out the rest of the day because of a sore shoulder.    Hmmm, maybe I was not really to blame.   But on my first day as an IIT, I was insecure enough to feel responsible for someone's idea of dropping out.   I will remember this lesson.

Dmitri81

Great day of shooting at Appleseed. I'm really excited about my patch and orange hat.
Thank you Bob and all instructors for great lessons in marksmanship and history.

Dmitri