News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Antioch TN 9-10 April 2016

Started by tncolonel, April 10, 2016, 12:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tncolonel

Special clinic for members of the Tennessee Firearms Association (TFA).  Also first time event at the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency's (TWRA) Stones River Training Center.  Day started of cold, with a stiff wind from the North and a clear sky.  Group Photo by TejasLady

Old Navy Doc

As an IIT, I had a great time! The TNColonel and Bluegrass Colonel did a fantastic job setting up the shoot at this superb facility. The students were attentive and quickly learned and improved significantly. The nippy and damp mornings didn't slow anything down. Morpheus's Patrick Henry presentation moved us all. Thanks for everything!
First AS: Ramseur 2/09
Rifleman: Charlotte 11/14
Orange Hat: Calera 1/15
KD Rifleman: Puryear 5/15
Red Hat: Sevierville  11/16
Rimfire KD: Huntsville 12/20
Pistoleerâ„¢: Huntsville 2/21

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."  Plato

BluegrassColonel

What an inspiring group of shooters and Instructor cadre!  From the teachable attitude displayed by all of the shooters, to the willingness to pitch in from the Instructors, to the wonderful facility (no mud to lay in at Stones River Hunter Education Center!), the event was great!

While I was hoping for more Instructors and thus more individual attention, the AppleCore (TejasLady & Little Shine), Instructors In Training (Gretchen, Holly, Old Navy Doc & Full Metal Defender), Instructors/Shoot Bosses/SI (TNcolonel, Morpheus, & EddieB) did an great job of making sure the shooters had adequate instruction (we certainly could have used a few more on the line for "Carding the Sights," however).

Additionally, Officer Tim Turrentine, managing officer for the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency's Stones River Hunter Education Center, and the volunteer Range Safety Officers were tremendously helpful and hospitable with our event.  One of the range RSO's assisted greatly with the target line setup Saturday morning.

We also had 3 NEW RIFLEMEN, all of whom were first-timers - Huzzah!!!!  All of them had very respectable scores, but one shooter scored 240 on a CZ bolt gun!  We also had some who were "knocking on the door."

The weather was a bit of challenge as it was cold Saturday morning and had some fairly steady sprinkles - and later some gusty winds - Sunday morning.  However, several of us wound up with some light sunburn Saturday.

Of several highlights during the weekend, Morpheus' presentation of Patrick Henry's "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" benediction was sterling.  I made a point of looking at our shooters and cadre as he presented it (I had heard him present it at the 2014 IBC in Pelham, TN) and several were visibly moved.  Many more stated that it was an inspiration.

I have received several messages of appreciation for this event.  John Harris, Executive Director of the Tennessee Firearms Association, shared with the group that there are strong possibilities of having additional TFA events in East & West Tennessee!

Here is a link to Dropbox with some photos of the weekend:  https://www.dropbox.com/home/2016-04-9%2610%20Appleseed
When TNcolonel returns from his travels I am sure additional photos will be posted.

In Liberty,
Greg Seneff, Sr.
Bluegrass Colonel
Instructor / Shoot Boss (newbie!)
My father didn't serve in WWII.  It wasn't for lack of trying.  He attempted to enlist 3 separate times.  The last time the doctor said he was too short.  He responded that he signed up again because he said he saw a poster that was recruiting short men to be pilots.  The doctor said, "Short, yes.  But this is ridiculous."  In my book, he's still a hero.

Crossroad

This past weekend was a wonderful experience at the TWRA Antioch range. 19 April 1775 was retold in a way I've never heard. Many named and more unnamed patriots gathered along the road from Lexington and Concord all the way to Boston to spit in the Royal Lion's eye. We were taught by the modern day equivalent of those past patriots. While the history lessons were enlightening, being with fellow Tennessee Firearms Association members in learning, relearning, and realizing so many bad habits on a seemingly simple 25m range was both delightful and humiliating at the same time. The instruction was personal, professional, and always carried out in the safest manner. We 'shooters' cajoled, commensurated, and shared the excitement of a good or perhaps lucky shot with each other.
A very few elite shooters left Sunday afternoon with the Rifleman's badge, and we all witnessed Greg receiving his 'shoot boss' green hat in recognition of his hard work and shooting prowess in the organization. TFA and Appleseed are two organizations one should consider involvement. Being around these people restores your faith in the greatness of our country.