News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Billings MO 3-19-2016

Started by connibear, March 23, 2016, 10:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

connibear

We had a great shoot, weather on Sat. was cool but turned into a decent day, a lot of great shooters came to succeed. Sunday started cold with snow flurries and wind, but thankfully in the clubhouse was a wood stove and lo and behold there was wood so a fire was made to warm up, and were we glad for that. After review we started on AQTS.

One rifleman was born, congrats to Mike who on his first appleseed and first AQT qualified with a 233 and earned his winter seed patch, then later backed it up with I believe a 226 or close to that.

David, who also is an instructor came as a shooter and requalified several times with best of the day was 243 and his appleseed journey to 250 has attained a 247, huzzah david and keep trying, also congrats to Kent who also requalified.

I want to thank the instructors for coming and also all the students to learn marksmanship and history, everyone did great and hope to see you all again in September, and remember to tell your friends that centerfire is allowed.

A special thanks to Springfield benchrest rifle club, they donated a box of 300 AR Tactical .22 rounds and also 3 30.06 cal. bullet shaped pens to be given away.

In an effort to be fair to everyone that ended the day with us we held a riflemans challenge. Although instead of using a circle we used a star target, ten rds, one minute. To my surprise we had a lot of close calls, David managed to win with getting all ten in the star, mike pushed for a close second but we had to get the plug to make the determining factor, he only got nine which was a tie with kent. Congrats to david, who also decided to split the ammo with a few of the kids that came.

Also to give away the pens we had an issue, 3 pens for five kids, so MO Appleseed donated two sets of playing cards to help out. So we just picked numbers and the one with the closest number got to pick a pen or cards so no one felt left out.

Truly was a great weekend and hope to see everyone again.   :--- :---

I will put pics up here after while, feel free to comment or post your thoughts of the weekend.
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

Weetabix

This was my first Appleseed.  I went with an open (empty?) mind, so I didn't know quite what to expect, but had I had expectations, they would have been exceeded.

The instructors were knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, and very safety conscious.  The 4 rules were a bit different than the 4 I taught my kids, but they made good sense for the event.  Making the rifle safe came quickly and easily.

I had already read most of the shooting points they were teaching, but having it explained, repeated, and observed while I was actually shooting was quite helpful. I hadn't really known how to use the sling in seated and prone before. That was enlightening and helpful. Much practice needed there.

I was shooting a 10/22 with Tech Sights and a GI sling. Forgot my glasses the first day, and brought them the second day. They helped a bit, but I know I need a new prescription. I couldn't really see the smallest targets when my sights were lined up. I want to qualify Rifleman with irons on principle, but I may give that up depending on what I can do with a new prescription.

I scored 195 on the first and 204 on the second. On the third, I had a malfunction and a neighbor shooting my target so I didn't score that one. Malfunction and tired eyes on the fourth. I considered not scoring it, but I did. 140. Sigh.

I'll be practicing and going to the next one in September.  I'll be bringing a friend and as many others as I can scrape up.

Notes to myself for the next one:

- Remember sunscreen for BOTH days, not just the second. (I'm starting to peel.)
- Bring an EZ up, just in case there's room for it (there was).
- Bring glasses with a new prescription.
- Run the ammo you're bringing through your rifle before you go. I knew that but hadn't done that. I was getting a lot of trouble out of one box the first day, and I switched to another brand for the AQT's. It worked better, though I still had a few malfunctions.

Connibear - can you email me the name of the orange hat who was there?  I gather he's a member of that range, and I'd like to join it, but I didn't get his name.

Also, is it legal to staple a white sheet of paper below the AQT targets? I was having a hard time seeing the bottom row, given black sight post and black backer board.