News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

3/19-20 Leyden, MA Instructors KD event.

Started by lupis42, March 22, 2016, 11:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lupis42

A KD event with only 250 yards to work with?  Yep.

Saturday morning, after a quick zero at 25, was spent getting practically comfortable with battle sight zero.  Using scaled targets for stages 3 and 4, and full size for 1 and 2, and "hits count" scoring for AQTs, and a couple of steel Daniel Morgan challenge targets (thank you, Rifleman training targets).  http://riflemantrainingtargets.com/morgan_shingles.html
Having gotten dialed in, lunch was spent in a discussion of trajectory and rules of thumb, and a quiz on the KD presentation.
Saturday afternoon, some time was spent struggling with troublesome optics, and some instructors retired to the pistol range for a quick break, then with optics sorted we reconvened to discuss target detection and range estimation in more depth.

Sunday morning started bright and early with a scaled AQT.  Shooters used 22s to shoot the scaled target at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards, moving the firing line and shooting a new group of sighters at each distance.  Shooting this course with a 22 is, in many ways, the next best thing to shooting a full-size AQT with a centerfire.  The 22 is starting to feel the wind at 100 yards (not that we had much), and the come-ups between stages are clearly noticeable, and shooter must factor distance in when doing IMC.  Having demonstrated the come ups, we talked in a little bit more detail about come ups, the importance of verifying, how to use a ballistic calculator, etc. 
After lunch, the centerfires came back out, and we did some discussion and work on using field-expedient support, then finished the day off with one more  AQT. 

Totals for the weekend: 5 shooters, 2 KD riflemen, ~300 Rounds of centerfire and ~120 rounds of rimfire, and no frostbite for those of us who camped, despite the overnight low of 15 degrees. 
You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed.

hbennett

Although I was only able to attend Saturday, it was a an enjoyable and informative outing.  Spending the time shooting KD will certainly help in giving students a first-hand perspective.  Plus, it was center-fire!  It isn't too often I get a chance to take the "big rifles"  out!

Good Job! Many thanks to Lupis42 and Goodpiper for the instruction and the pointers.

Focus Your Mind on Keeping the Front Sight on the Target
--
"I'm a free born man of the U.S.A."

aim

It was, as hbennett pointed out both enjoyable and informative. I left having learned quite a bit about shooting and instructing. I am glad that the instructors (lupis42, goodpiper, voidoid) were able to make it happen, and the other shooters made the experience all that much better. A great crew on a beautiful weekend at a fantastic range! I was too busy "sorting out the optics" to take any, but  :pics:
Shiny!