News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Talladega, AL March 19-20, 2016 AAR

Started by 76Patriot, March 22, 2016, 08:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

76Patriot

What a fantastic weekend!  We had 22 shooters show up in spite of a less than ideal weather forecast.  However, we were rewarded with only minimal bad weather on Saturday:  a brief mild rain that mostly fell while we ate lunch.  Sunday brought cooler temps with a good deal of wind, but that didn't deter anyone either.

After an introductory speech we heard the First Strike.  Then after all the safety information was given, we brought our rifles to the line and shot a Red Coat.   We then began our instruction with sling use and the 6 steps of firing the shot.  We followed this with NPOA and the Prone position.  After a few exercises we shot several squares before taking lunch, where we heard the second strike of the match.

After lunch we shot more squares before hearing about Talking Targets and Inches, Minutes, & Clicks.  Ball and Dummy, Rifleman's Cadence, and squares followed before learning about the Sitting/kneeling positions.  After trying each of the sitting/kneeling positions, we did an NPOA/mag change drill then learned about the Standing position.

Then it was time for our one and only AQT for the day, which yielded not one, not two, but three new riflemen:  Robert with a 216, Dan W. with a 222, and Mike with another 222.  Congratulations Riflemen!

We then finished the day with the third strike and some closing remarks.

Sunday began with cooler weather; all but one of the shooters returned to continue their journey to rifleman.  After opening remarks and a review of safety, we reviewed the steady hold factors in all positions, the six steps of firing a shot, natural point of aim, talking targets, and inches minutes & clicks.

Next we brought our rifles to the line and shot a red coat, followed by several sighter squares.  We then shot our first AQT of the day, yielding yet another rifleman.  Huzzah to Dan P. with his score of 223.

We returned to the line for an NPOA/mag change drill, then shot another AQT, during which Dan W. requalified with an incredible 235.

We were regaled with stories about dangerous old men and women over lunch, before learning about shooting known distance.  We returned to the line and shot yet one more AQT, followed by a red coat.  We then tested our newly acquired skills at 100 yards before ending the day with some final words.

We would like to extend a special thank you to Rachel for taking a Blue Hat this weekend.  We look forward to seeing you on the Appleseed trail, Rachel!

To those that are interested, most of our history came from a book titled Paul Revere's Ride.  There is far more in that book if you are interested in learning more.  For those of you that wish to further hone your skills at another Appleseed, there will be an event in Columbiana on the April 2-3 and in Montgomery on April 9-10.

Thank you again to all of our shooters for putting in the work this weekend, and congratulations again to our new riflemen and blue hat.  Check back soon as pictures will get posted here as well.
"Why stand we here idle?" - Patrick Henry

Roswell

What a great weekend! Big THANK YOU to the CMP for being so gracious! And to the shooters for giving up their weekend to celebrate their heritage. Congratulations to all who shot Rifleman. Huzzah! :---  To those that didn't quite make it this weekend, I promise that you can do it if you persist. Remember only perfect practice makes perfect. Take what we taught you and put it to use. Dryfire, dryfire and then dryfire.  ;)  I hope to see each and everyone of you on the trail.

Special thank you to Rachel for taking a hat. Welcome to the family! And to those thinking of taking one... Do it!  ~~:) We need you and so does your country.

In Liberty,
Roswell
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Maximum Ordinate

Huzzah to all the new Riflemen and to Rachel who is joining us as an Applecore member!!
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

motorcycle_dan

Spent last weekend on a shooting mat in Talladega AL at the CMP range.

I studied enough history to just get out of high school.  In college took brief interest in the 1850~1870's US politics and that is shamfully the extent of my history knowledge; Until this past weekend.  I became very interested in 1775 history, enough that I've already went to the local library and got a good book for travel reading.  The Appleseed Project did a great job of not only increasing my marksmanship a tremendous amount but to trigger a desire to do better in many ways.
The marksmanship portion was wonderful.  I brought a couple of AR service rifles, an AR rim fire and an M1 Garand.  Met a Cousin, Bruce,  and his son, Kyle, for the event.  They both liked .308 battle rifles, My cousin shooting a PTR-91 and Kyle with an FAL. (way too much gun for this event) I started off with an A3 iron sight AR (with custom paint from GF thank you very much)  By lunch on Saturday the .308's were proving way to punishing and neither had a good sling attachment that could be used to stabilize the position.  They were ready to shift choices, Kyle went with the rim fire AR and my Cousin took the A2 service rifle.  Still we were one of the few with centerfire rifles. 

Looking up and down the firing line most people were shooting rimfire rifles, and Ruger 10/22 was the wise choice.  They allowed scopes or iron sights.  The wise shooters choose peep and post iron sights.  Most people have the scope mounted way to far back then don't have a stock that allows a good cheek weld in prone. 

Most of the shooting took place at 25yd, I know you are thinking, "25yd that is easy." Well it is easy, but we were shooting at very small paper targets.  Learning to shoot groups.  Trust the sling and relax.  Up and down MANY times is a serious workout for those my age and waist size.  By the end of Saturday, my groups were opening up due to fatigue, we packed up and went back to the hotel for dinner.  Too tired to chew food was mentioned over a light dinner.  An early evening then up early and back on the range.  Refreshed and ready we did a couple similar practice and my groups were much tighter.   Shot my rifleman score Sunday morning, Huzzah.  Switched to my M1 Garand for the remainder of the event.  I like the smell and the Prang.  This M1 is a recent CMP acquisition, unfired by me.  Had no clue on the zero.  Up 10 clicks then shoot.  First hit is in a 1" square at 25yd.  Minor tweaks and I'm pleased with the performance.  I can load a full clip easy enough but struggle with the Criss-Cross pair for 2 and 8.  I was not prepared for how the event is conducted.  Ammo on the mat so the first clip is loaded under the clock.  I was unable to pull off a good string that met rifleman score with the old wood rifle.  Next time I'll have some 2-round clips.  It was not the rifle or the ammo but the operator that had issues.  Later, We switched to the CMP electronic targets at 100yd.  Again no known zero at range but good sight alignment put the first round through the X at 12:00.  Followed it up with a couple of 10's then blood flow to the brain got excessive and a few 8's came out the barrel.

Ended the day a tad early with a long drive between Talladega and home.  Had a WONDERFUL time and plan to attend more.  If you have not attended one of these PLEASE check it out.  I'm a pistol shooter and enjoy that more than rifle shooting.  This is not competitive rifle shooting event.  This is a Heritage and Marksmanship event.  If you have kids or grandkids please get them to an event.  Marksmanship training is second to none and the stories of our heritage will bring a tear to your eye more than once.  We owe it to our founders as well as the next generation not to squander our bounty of liberty.
Motorcycle_dan
Dan /¦\

Roswell

:pics:

Here some pictures I took, but mainly a lot from eddieb...

Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23