News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

D-Day Re-enactment, Conneaut, OH Aug 19 & 20, 2016

Started by Birdman, March 15, 2016, 07:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdman

The Conneaut, OH D-Day event is Aug 19 and 20th this year. I urge anyone that can get there please do so. You will not regret it. Only a few folks at a time are needed to man the booth, so just come and enjoy.
The cost is free to the public, including transportation to and from parking areas, and even Higgins boat rides (landing craft).

Project Appleseed has had a tent these for at least 4 or 5 years. 20,000 to 30,000 visitors are expected to attend the Friday and Saturday event. These should be at least 1600 re-enactors this year, bringing all their authentic tanks, jeeps, motorcycles, tents and other gear. I heard there will be a tank battle this year. There will probably be multiple fly-bys of a B-17 and/or B25, and 3/4 scale Mustangs also. There was one of the few working German 88 cannons there last year.

SB Chuck McKinley and some of his family and I are the usual crew manning the tent.
Accommodations will be difficult to find, but anyone is surely welcome to camp in my yard or sack out on the floor.

There are so few WWII vets left. Please come and honor them before they are gone from this earth. I believe this event has one of the largest number of WWII vets present, and they are given front row seating and many presentations are awarded to them as well. Several give their story of battles of long ago making you feel from their vivid recollections that it was just yesterday.

If anybody has any questions, please let me know.
Here is a link to the event:

http://www.ddayohio.us/

Corvette

Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

little buddy

Texas T

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/Smileys/newsmileys/afro.gif

My wife and I are checking to see if we can work it into the summer calendar as well.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."  Mark Twain

First Appleseed, September 26-27, 2015;   First Rifleman, September 27, 2015;   First Redcoat, September 27, 2015;   Second Rifleman, September 27, 2015

Thanks Corvette, great instruction!!!

MI IBC, February 2017

Birdman

Great! You guys will be real happy you came to see this event....and kick yourself that you had not visited other years.

Charles McKinley

The kids are reved up and ready to go.my 6 y.o. Daughter and 11 y.o. Begged me to take them last year and I am glad I did.

This is a wonderful event!!!!!  Disney would be charging $60+ a ticket and the production would not be as good!

The re-enactors are volunteers pouring their own time, money, blood sweat and tears into this event.  This type of dedication can't be bought.  (Sound familiar?)

Local hotels may be full but Cleveland and Erie,PA are not that far.

It is an experience you will not forget.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Birdman

Conneaut D-Day Re-Enactment is approaching fast....Aug 19 and 20. A bedroom or two, other inside floor space for sleeping bags, or a whole back yard is available for camping. You will be really glad you see one of these events.
I would love to know how many are planning to come.(Chuck McKinley get s a bedroom for sure...if he wants one)
I am pretty sure little buddy, charlie, and yankee are camping.
Thanks!
Here is a link to this years event   http://www.ddayohio.us/

Charles McKinley

We will only be there Friday.  I have to Shootboss Beaver Falls that weekend.

I have to remind EZ3, no August shoot next year.  We will move it to July or September.

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Crazyduckhunter

I am planning on attending the d-day again this year. Visiting the Appleseed tent is what got me to go to my first appleseed event last October at Hartsgrove. Thanks to birdman  Then again in garretsville in may. Still did not make rifleman so going to Vienna shoot this weekend. Wish me luck. I am available to help man the tent during d day weekend. Let me know what is needed.

Birdman

Thanks Crazyduckhunter. I will be at Vienna so see you there.  D-Day is coming upon us quickly. Corvette, EZ3, and anyone else, bring your wives, kids, grandkids, whoever you can bring. They will love it.
You should bring a folding chair also. I will have a few extra though.

Corvette

Birdman,

Am I missing something, the 19th and 20th of August is a Friday and Saturday.  Is this event actually on a Friday and Saturday?  I am still planning on coming but just wanted to confirm the dates.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Birdman

Corvette, (and others),
Yes indeed it is Friday and Sat. The re-enactors set up their encampments earlier in the week. Higgens boat rides on Thursday and friday (certain times).There is an outdoor movie Thursday evening at the park, On Friday, there are a few smaller skirmishes and demonstrations, talks with actual WWII veterans, and the encampments are open to the public to walk through. The main battle is Saturday afternoon. That is when most of the visitors come.
Here is a schedule of events:
http://www.ddayohio.us/schedule.htm

Corvette

Cool, I may show up in your back yard a little sooner than I planned.  Sounds like a lot of fun.   Will PM with my schedule for that week.

Corvette

Birdman

Come any time. I work until 2:30 on Thursday and have Friday off. I will set up the Appleseed tent right after work Thursday. Chuck will probably be coming Fri mid-morning. It will be great!
My address is:
6566 Hatches Corners Rd
Conneaut, OH 44030

Any last minute guests, come any time, just show up.
My cell:
Roger 440-375-1073

Birdman

Who is coming? Weather looks pretty good. Two bedrooms free, floor space, deck, lawn for tents.
Chuck, Steve, or others, I probably need some more targets for handouts.
CMP sent me a big box of pens and Sporter booklets :)
Might be able to swing a few parking spots at my cousin's house right across from the park entrance.

Corvette

Birdman, I will be there thursdayn night.  What target bdo we pass out? Redcoats? 100 YD silouette?

corvette

Birdman

Great! I will probably be at the park when you get to town. Drive right to the park. Take Rt 7 to Lake rd, (blinking light), turn left, first house on left is my cousin Karl. His address is 385 Lake Rd. I will make sure we can park there. Give me a call when you get close. 440 375-1073

Crazyduckhunter

Birdman. I will be there on Saturday afternoon. I am planning on going to sign up for first squad at Rock Creek (since I need the practice) and then head up there. Unless you need help first thing in the morning. If so please call 216-513-2430.