News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Macon, GA Youth Shoot 12 March 2016

Started by brianf31, March 14, 2016, 02:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianf31

Marion Road Gun Club in Macon, GA hosted a one-day youth shoot on Saturday, 12 March 2016. Ten youth and one dad came out on this beautiful day to participate in the only sport endorsed by the Founding Fathers.

Before the shoot began, MRGC president Kyle Turner stunned instructors with a donation of two rifles. He assembled these rifles specifically as loaners for smaller youth who often have trouble fitting their stocks. Shooters broke ‘em in right away. The gun club also donated over 3,000 rounds of ammo for youth to use. You couldn't associate with finer people than those at MRGC. We are in your gratitude.

Right after the safety briefing, we started off with a Redcoat target. After making sure rifles were set up properly for the shooters, we went straight to instruction. Students learned steady hold factors, six steps of the shot, natural point of aim and rifleman's cadence. Lessons were immediately put to use by shooting squares after each bit of instruction.  The students were quickly awarded with shrinking group sizes. Several shooters had most shots in the black. Excellent!

During our first break, attendees heard of Paul Revere's ride and the stand at Lexington Green in the First Strike of The Match. This was followed by riveting tales of the Second Strike at lunch and the Third Strike at the end of the day. The attentive students heard history they might not have heard in school and learned the names of some American heroes.

After lunch, shooters learned the seated and standing positions, how to transition from standing to seated and prone and discovered how your targets can talk to you. They shot one AQT target with excitement and enthusiasm. All saw marked improvement over the course of the day. Edward earned his rifleman's patch on his first try, scoring a solid 211! Huzzah!

To end the day, we backed up to 100 yards where the students shot steel swinging targets. Many shooter's marksmanship was rewarded with a gratifying ring. We ended the day with a "bang" courtesy of some noisy targets provided by one of the dads.

This group of shooters was very attentive, safe and seemed eager to learn. They left with a smile, so we're pretty certain they had a good time. Hopefully, they learned a little history, too. In fact, they got to name the two donated rifles from historical figures we spoke about. The rifles will forever be called Hannah (Davis) and Sam (Adams).

Tyler, Ted, Andrew, Jeff, Josh, Shane, Carly, Daniel, Alex, Edward and Ethan: it was a pleasure to have you out on the firing line. Keep practicing perfectly and remember what it means to be free.

MRGC, thanks for your faithful support and the delicious lunch. Gentlemen, thanks for bringing the kids out.

"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Kyle Turner

We are very happy and proud to host the Appleseed Project at our club.  I would like to thank all the IITs and Dr. John and Brianf for the great job they do in conducting these events.  We look forward to hosting these events and I expect the May session to fill up quickly.

Thanks again for all your hard work!  I know you love doing it or you wouldn't volunteer!

freedomzxcv

I'd like to thank Kyle Turner again for the amazing gift of two LTRs. With the adjustable stock and the extremely light weight of the rifles, I believe we have something that will fit the smallest students on the line. Add the tech-sights, sling and quality hardware and I believe we have the best two youth rifles in the program residing in Macon Ga.

I'd like to thank all the students. You were all attentive and a joy to teach.

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - CS Lewis

DrJohn

Passing on the traditions of the Founding Generation is always a treat, but especially so when the students are all young Patriots, as these were. It was a joy and an honor to spend the day with you and I hope to see all of you again soon. As for those two rifles and the ammunition that Kyle and the club donated to Appleseed, I can only echo the sentiments of Brian and Free, that I am simply stunned. And I agree with Free, I have no doubt that Macon has the two finest Liberty Training Rifles in the country. Huzza, all, and may Liberty increase forever!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

FourFans

2 LTR's and 3000 rds? A class act indeed.
"should something happen,,tell the children of this night".
   --credited to Capt Parker, April 18th '75

22 A DAY