News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Monmouth, Maine Feb. 20&21 Winterseed

Started by The Old Guide, February 23, 2016, 04:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Guide

Great shoot at a fine host club. These folks go all out to host Appleseed shoots. They put up the posts and wires before we arrive. They feed us. We had five Appleseed instructors and five shooters so we had a whole lot of coaching. Everybody got to shoot for those coveted Winterseed patches and we did indeed have snow falling. We awarded eight Winterseed patches. The first one EVER awarded in Maine went to 14 year old Blake. He fired consecutive 242, 242 and 243 AQT targets. Only one patch though, Blake.

On Saturday morning we had 6-100 yard shooters, 6-200, 3-300, 2-400 one head shot and one person cleaned it.
That afternoon, we had 8-100, 5-200, 3-300, 1-400 and 5 (count em) five head shots. One person cleaned it.

Sunday dawned raw and cold with just flurries. We had 7-100, 4-200, 2-300, 4-400 and 3 head shots.
Sunday PM we had two leave for a family event. We had 5-100, 4-200, 4-300, 4-400 and 4 head shots. FOUR shooters cleaned it! First timer Todd, got his Winterseed patch.

Some shooters may have wondered if the old white haired Shoot Boss could still do it. He fired 3 shot groups you could cover with a nickle and got the head shot.

We had a father and son team From RI. Quigley is an IIT with a few shoots under his belt with TominCT. He runs an efficient line. His son, Jake made Rifleman, got the Winterseed patch AND took the Hat! That family wants to help Rhode Island get going again. Maine will help as will TominCT.

Instructors and SB were DrAims, Devil_Dog95, 2ndMile, Quigley and SB - The Old Guide.

-break-

I stand corrected. Blake got the first ever Winterseed patch at Monmouth, but Crak awarded the first one in Maine at Columbia several years ago.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

Quigley

It was an enjoyable shoot and well worth the drive to Maine. We were pleased with the facilities and were happy to meet the Maine instructors. Jake was particularly impressed by the three strikes presentation. You will see us back in Maine if you will have us. I hope to be asking for your help for an AS in little RI this year. I have begun the process of finding a willing host club.

Josey Wales

..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

2ndMile

It was a wonderful shoot and I was glad I could introduce Todd to the program... and that he scored Rifleman. He was one happy shooter and he will be back!

@Quigley, Thanks to you and Jake for making the trip. It was great to meet you both and I look forward to bringing the camper down to RI to help out.

The Old Guide has still got it, even after taking a spill on the ice 5 days before. And firing a rifle that was not sighted in. And having to use a bit of Kentucky windage on the Redcoat because the scope was a bit off. Down right impressive! Glad I got to see it.
I live in Liberty! (no, really. I do.)