News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hurlburt AFB, Florida, Feb 27-28 2016

Started by Engineer shooting, February 29, 2016, 11:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer shooting

Critical Mass: the size, number or amount of something that is needed to cause a particular result.

Numerous return Appleseeders, many new shooters, some that haven't maintained their perishable skills. We still achieved Critical Mass and something great happened. Three new Riflemen on Saturday, that indicated something special was happening. Two more new Rifleman on Sunday. Four new Orange Hats having demonstrated their skills and love of Liberty.  Mother and daughter Brandy and Kyla, George and Reid all stepped up.

Special thanks to resident Orange Hats Chuck and Kim for helping with scheduling, range set up and their instruction.

Without Lucky Lori's behind the scenes work making the event run well I'm sure things would have jumped off track.

If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

B.C.

Wow! The orange hat / rifleman mint up in northern Florida is turning them out in quantity. Good job to all! By the way, Critical mass is a great band name.........Well done!!!!!
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

George59

I have yet to figure out what was wrong with the rifle/scope I started the weekend with.  Clearly something wasn't right, but it was with trepidation I pulled out the back-up...no scope, no security blanket.  How the heck am I going punch out a solid stage four now?  That gray little smudge down there is not even as wide as my front sight blade! Breath, check NPOA, breath, pause, squeeze, hold, reset and repeat.  Turns out, if I can get Me out of the way, and just let that Appleseed training take root, well whadaya-know...I can score Rifleman with iron sights.  What a confidence builder that one is. It is always humbling to get out shot consistently by a girl who isn't old enough for her drivers license, right along with her mom, but I consider it an honor to share the Orange Hat day with Brandy, "Kyla Oakley" and Reid.

Ken, Lori, Chuck and Kim, thanks for another great event. 

Engineer shooting

New Orange Hats! HUZZA
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

Lucky Lori

What a great weekend it was. Although cool to start the weather and students warmed quickly and improvement was made daily. Congratulations to  George, Reid, Brandy and Kyla  on taking the orange hats.  I look forward to working with you at shoots in the future.  Those who did not score made improvement so i look forward to seeing you at another shoot soon.  Dry fire is most important in between times at the range. You are all welcome to come to Tallahassee and shoot at one of our monthly events. Kim and Chuck thanks for all your help this past weekend.
Lucky Lori

Dragon

A weekend in the life of DRAGON.
This was my second Appleseed.  It is always a pleasure to participate in shooting events at Hurlburt.  The range is well maintained and the events are well managed.  Outstanding instruction was provided by Ken, Lori, Chuck and Kim.  I had recently done well in a CMP competition at Hurlburt and was pumped.  I just knew this would be my weekend.  On the first Red Coat target I was about a quarter of an inch on the 300 yd target from running the target.  Really getting pumped.  Sighting in started really well but slowly started to wander.  As the day progressed the groups opened up and even with individual attention from Lori and Kim I just couldn't seem to get it together.  On the second to last AQT I was all over the page.  Ken had me check all the screws and everything seemed tight.  On the Last AQT I just shot the sighing in square and was hitting tight group center 3 in. high.  Adjusted.  Hitting tight group 3 in left. Adjusted. Hitting tight group 3in high 3 in right. Decided to save ammo.  Shot the final Red Coat using Kentucky windage and hit 3 at 100yd, barely.  Got home, removed scope, lightly shook it and it sounded like a baby rattle.  Here in the south we call that an "indicator".  My beloved asked "where can you get a replacement scope at this hour."  So it was off to our premium shooting supply emporium…Walmart. My beloved extended my kitchen pass to include Sunday so I decided to start from cold, clean steel. Out came the cleaning kit and magazines, bolt, receiver, barrel all got scrubbed. (I would like to have a few isolated moments with the engineer who designed the 10/22 rotary magazine) After four and a half hours sleep it was back to the range.  I was exempted from some of the fun and games to complete sighting in the new scope.  As the day progressed my scores improved. I had come close but not "scored" with one remaining AQT of the weekend. I concentrated on NPOA and was in the 40s on each of the first three stages.   I knew rifleman was with in my grasp. With sweaty palms I settled in for the final prone stage, established a very nice NPOA, squeeeezed the trigger and got a solid……..3! Oh crud! Breathe in ,  breathe out, squeeeeeze ( I think the extra e did it) hit the V.  Just relax, don't do the ME thing and let the gun do Its thing.  Final Target squeeze…Bang, reset, breathe… squeeze…. Bang, reset, breathe…squeeze…click, huh? Drop mag, bolt back, round eject, mis- fire.  Noooo! Safe and ground gun.  Walk dejectedly back to chair. Remove sling.  Look at fellow shooters plinking away. What?  FELLOW SHOOTERS STILL PLINKING.  I still have time! tick tick tick Grab a fresh bullet, remember magazine, no time for sling.  Think "hey, I've shot for 40 years without a sling what's ONE more round. tick tick tick.  Settle into position (witnesses describe more as a flop into position). tick tick tick. Load. tick tick tick.  Concentrate on quick NPOA .  Ken says "Tim where's your sling"  TICK TICK TICK. Breathe out…TICK TICK Squeeeze….BANG. "3"…Hmmm at least I saved 4 points.  Whole bunch of TICKs  later Ken calls Cease Fire.  I am so anxious I don't even try to score the target, I know it's close.  I'd swear Ken is using a magnifying glass and micrometer but finally he sighs and writes 211 on the target. As you can tell from the previous entries our motto for the weekend was SHOOT LIKE A GIRL.  The Ladies showed us how it should be done. Shooting next to Kim definitely made me a better shot.  Can't wait for next time, see ya'll there.  DRAGON…out….

Mountaineers4ever

What a great weekend, despite the cold (at least it wasn't raining!).  Thanks for the kind words, George.  Thanks also to Ken and Lori for keeping me in line and reminding me to just follow the training.  Always fun to be out shooting with my oldest Baby Girl.  Looking forward to the next step in the Appleseed journey.  Hope to be out learning how to instruct soon!