News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lansing, MI Feb 26-28, 2016 Instructor Boot Camp

Started by ITB, February 29, 2016, 10:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

Wow, what a great weekend.  We had 56 attendees.  I do believe that's an all-time record for an IBC.   :cool2:

The fifth annual Michigan IBC took place from Feb 26-28, 2016.

Friday consisted of everyone getting settled and organized, and a three-hour optional medical class presented by Wizard.  30 people participated in this hands-on, very effective class.  Thank you, Wizard!

We started Saturday at 8 AM sharp.  The days' activities consisted of:
Pledge of Allegiance
Introductions
Agenda
Basic points/roles/expectations
Safety briefing and breakout
Effective Storytelling by Graywolf
First strike by Graywolf, 3.Dogs and Click
effective POI/presentation techniques
Prone and breakout
IMC
Lunch (with SB IMC demo)
IMC breakout
Six steps and breakout
NPOA and breakout
Second Strike by Graywolf, 3.Dogs and Click
Rifle Familiarization.

The regional meeting was tentatively scheduled to start after the IBC around 5 PM, but we moved that up to 2 PM to better accommodate those who had long travel times home.  Superheat took over after the IMC breakout and ran things smoothly for the rest of the day.   :bow:

Sunday also started at 8 AM sharp, and the SB made an executive decision to move up troubleshooting so that the departing border raiders could see it in action.  The agenda Sunday was:
Pledge of Allegiance
Troubleshooting breakout
Seated/kneeling and breakout
Standing and breakout
lunch
Third strike by Graywolf, 3.Dogs and Click
State of the State
Affinity Marketing/Effective Seventh Stepping (by SteelThunder)
KD
DOMs
Talking targets
Rifleman's Bubble
Rifleman's cadence
Carding the sights
Ball and dummy
Closing comments/exit survey
Red Hat de-brief

Our biggest challenge every year has been devising a good method for teaching the history.  We think we're onto something this year.  We got a lot of positive comments. History was broken into four smaller chunks; one each in the morning and afternoon of both days.

Special thank you to Swamp Thing and Mid-Michigan Music for the sound system.  I actually have a voice today, thanks to you.

Thank you to Graywolf, 3.Dogs, Click, Superheat, SteelThunder, Rascal21 and Snipette for all your efforts, help and support.  This was a big job, and we pulled it off together. 

Thank you to all of my fellow SCs, and everyone who traveled far to join us.  Weezer was the winner of the mileage award, traveling all the way from Texas to join us.

Trisha - it was good to see you, and I'm glad you were able to be here to give Gibson her Red Hat.  That was pretty neat symmetry.

Colycat - thank you for your input and for making the drive.  I look forward to your continued tutelage.

And thanks to DrRichP for all of the support you've given me, and will continue to give me.   :))

Everyone, please post up any additional pics.

Group photo:

This is what we do if instructors misbehave...

Wizard's medical class:

Graywolf teaching history:

RustyRed and her new Red Hat from Trisha

Gibson and Zazzles receive their Red Hats from Trisha:

FLASHBACK to 2009: Gibson gets her rifleman patch from newly red hatted Trisha:

The regional meeting:

Grawolf doing more history:

The weird beard club (Swamp Thing and Chewie):

"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

colonial shooter

Wow! That's a lot of Orange and Blue with a sprinkle of Red. Good to see that many folks . Keep up the good work!
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Maximum Ordinate

I was invited to come up, but was already committed to another event.

It looks like I missed an epic gathering!  Well done!   O0
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Rascal21

More photos located on the FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.815780245198813.1073741883.240556109387899&type=3

Had a great time. It was great to put faces with names, especially the Border Raiders. :)

Stacy

DrRichP

I'd like to thank ITB, Steel Thunder, Graywolf, and our Michigan Team for hosting this IBC. I have too many good things to list them all here, other than to say "Wow!". I may edit this post after the euphoria of the weekend subsides. I am especially proud to have had representatives from every state in our region. I can't thank you enough for your participation. Team Michigan, thank you for hosting us, for your hospitality, kindness, friendship, and camaraderie. Wonderful team effort.

Here are some photos of the outstanding attendance.

DrRichP
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Superheat

WIZARDS First aid instruction.

Sorry we won't be able to save you

DA YOOPERS

Rifle Familiarization

Proud Papa

3.dogs Donahue with a new approach to History

Orange hat MOOSE!

Diagnosing shooting errors

Got any double mint gum?

Modeling is so easy

Who loves Appleseed?  I do, I DO!

Weezer

First, thank you to the Great Lakes region for allowing a border raider from Texas to invade your IBC.   I was blown away by how incredibly well organized the weekend was and by how much I learned in such a short time.     

Aside from drinking from the fire hose in terms of the three strikes, IMC, shot diagnosis, medical and everything else, I came away with a life goal:   I'd like to be as funny as Wizard, as handsome as Corvette, as well-versed in history as GreyWolf, as organized as ITB and have as cool a name as SteelThunder when I grow up.   (I would have added "a beard as cool as SwampThing or Chewie", but that would just be weird.)   ;D

My other goal is to make Texas so awesome that you'll want to border raid our IBC.    Especially if it's in the winter.   The hubs picked me up at the airport today wearing shorts and flip flops.   :cool2:
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

RustyRed

:bow:What a GREAT crew you have there in M.I.  I really enjoyed this IBC  I got to listen and learn a few  more pointers. Thank you Trisha for my red hat, I will try to keep on going and learning  O0

Caliper

Quote from: Weezer on March 01, 2016, 01:26:52 PM
  The hubs picked me up at the airport today wearing shorts and flip flops.   :cool2:

Thanks for bringing the weather up with you, at least for the weekend!  There was 10" in my driveway on Thursday before the IBC. It's all back now.  :-\

Is there a Tx RBC?

Guntuckian

It was great meeting all the crew whom I had only known previously by the forum.  When I left the house for the drive up, it was 82 degrees!  Guess the warm weather hitched a ride!  Liberty was the true winner, though, this weekend.  Meeting so many great people, it was refreshing to meet such Patriots.  It is going to be a great year!

-gb
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Weezer

Quote from: Caliper on March 01, 2016, 11:44:16 PM

Is there a Tx RBC?

Not yet.   I'm in talks with Scuzzy (read: arm-twisting) to try to put one together.    If we're able to do that this year, I'll be sure to plaster notices all over the Great Lakes Region board! 
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

Charles McKinley

Hi All,

Sorry I missed the IBC this year.  I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to meet a lot of great people and improve their AS skill set.

Chuck
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery