News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Known Distance Instruction

Started by smoakingun, February 23, 2016, 10:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoakingun

In reviewing current progress checks, I noticed there is no requirement to be able to instruct KD an any of the PC's.
Shouldn't that be a requirement for a rifle instructor?
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

stoneknives

It's in the Sbit part of the Shoot Boss manual... if I remember correctly.
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

smoakingun

In the SBIT part of the manual there is mention of a requirement to do it, but it does not exist in any instructor PC
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

smoakingun

In theory, one could be a shoot boss and never learn to shoot at real distance, even on paper.

Thomas Jefferson

308LIBERTY

Who cares about "in theory" or PCs? We should all be able to teach at least a basic overview of KD by the time we've reached red-hat. We've certainly heard it enough by then. All the elements are included in the handout "The Rifleman's Quarter Mile." Even if you cover no more than what's on the sheet, that should be enough for a brief Sunday afternoon KD lecture. When do you and Henry want to do it?
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

308LIBERTY

It just occurred to me, I recall you doing it at Hernando, Smoak. So, that just leaves Henry. ;)
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

PHenry

Requirement for teaching kd is simple. Experience and the competence it brings. Traditionally it would, i suppose be si or mi, but any red hat who has qual,d to full distance and knows material can get it done. Speaking of kd. We need one. Smoak?
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

stoneknives

Quote from: Three'oEight on February 26, 2016, 12:25:53 AM
It just occurred to me, I recall you doing it at Hernando, Smoak. So, that just leaves Henry. ;)

Put me in coach, I don't need no helmet.

Quote from: PHenry on February 26, 2016, 12:36:00 AM
Requirement for teaching kd is simple. Experience and the competence it brings. Traditionally it would, i suppose be si or mi, but any red hat who has qual,d to full distance and knows material can get it done. Speaking of kd. We need one. Smoak?

KD Instructors Only next weekend 1 Day at Issacc Davis.
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

jmdavis

At one point all SI's had to be KD qualified. That meant doing and teaching. We made an effort to get all of the VA instructors qualified as well.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner