News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CMP Talladega Known Distance Event, 30-31 Jan 2016

Started by Maximum Ordinate, February 01, 2016, 07:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

It was our first KD event at the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park. 

Executive summary:  Two new Riflemen.  One new Orange Hat.  23 out of 25 shooters qualified or requalified as KD Riflemen!!    ^:)^

More details and pictures to follow...

-Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Mixed Metaphor

^:)^

Awesome, AWESOME range!!  I can't thank you all enough.

Gary
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

LawDog

Normally after an event like this I would be searching for superlatives adequate to describe the instruction presented.  But this one is easy: 92%.  That tells the story. 23 out of 25 shooters qualified (and one of the others was a KD Rifleman trying to re-qualify with an M1).  I am not even going to try to find better words to describe the instructors.  Dond, Google, Morpheus, 76Patriot, and Rusty - I think you know how much this meant to me. Thank you.

If you haven't been to the CMP Talladega Shooting Paradise on Earth (I think that's the official name), I promise you that it is worth the trip. Picture a posh country club. With firearms. And electronic targets. And many, many ranges. And the most helpful and friendly staff. This is Pebble Beach, Wrigley Field, The Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and Churchill Downs for Riflemen.

Finally, to my Louisiana Krewe, I am proud of you, grateful for you, and honored to stand with you.  Huzzah!

Kyle Turner

Running events like this is hard work even when you have more than capable assistants and tailoring the lesson/shooting plan to the CMP Marksmanship Park's facilities must surely add to the load.  Rusty and his "crew" put on one of the best shooting clinics I've ever attended.  I have watched Appleseeders at our local gun club for years and joined in as an attendee only late last year.  This was my second Appleseed event and I was just as impressed with the instruction and safety protocols as I was the first time I observed a shoot.

What better way to spend a weekend than to learn new skills, add to an existing skill set or refine your skills with other Americans?  Riflery is (or should be) the common thread in our American DNA.  I am of the opinion that all Americans should all be able to effectively engage targets with aimed, accurate rifle fire.  Appleseed is the lowest burden, highest value vehicle I've seen for developing this skill.

I enjoyed the target identification and ranging exercise and shooting on the 600 yard rifle range but the reinforcement of practicing calculated "come-ups" and confirming them with spotters was probably the most valuable lesson of the weekend (for me).
Rusty and the red hats were very attentive and provided patient instruction and critique to anyone that needed it and I think that attention to the shooters is the single biggest contributing factor to so many (23 of 25 last I heard) earning their Long Range rockers or bars.

I really can't think of a better way to spend a weekend and I plan to recruit several local Appleseeders for the next available KD Shoot.  Morpheus's delivery of Patrick Henry's speech to the Second Virginia Convention at Henrico Parish Church urging the raising of militia and quelling the voices of reconciliation was particularly moving.  I also thoroughly enjoyed Rusty's presentation of the story of the Regulators (Overmountain Men) and their resounding victory over Major Ferguson and his Tory militia at Kings Mountain.  I lived about 60 miles from there for about 9 years and many of the towns and cities around the Upstate carry the names of those same Patriot militia leaders that changed the course of the war in the South.

Again, many thanks to Rusty and all the instructors for spending their time teaching us to shoot accurately and safely!

freedomzxcv

The only thing that surpassed the beautiful CMP facility was the quality of the instruction. Rusty, you are a terrific instructor. I paid attention to you this KD and it showed. I bested my best previous KD score by 5 points, even though I left the optics at home and only used irons for the entire weekend. Morpheus always stokes the fire in my belly. Dond added a lot, with very few words spoken. I would like to thank all the instructors that gave presentations and worked the line.

Rusty, congratulations. I don't deserve any of the credit, but I've had you on the line a few times and I'm proud you finally made it. I look forward to working with Georgia's newest orange hat.
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - CS Lewis

Melissa5

John 3:16

9/12 Toccoa 219 (rimfire)
2/16 Buford 228 (centerfire)

Stockbreaker

Talladega CMP is a world class facility that enhanced the  pleasure of learning and applying marksmanship skills.
Appleseed instruction exceptional, as usual.
It was my pleasure to qualify Long Range at this, my first KD event, and to meet new brother and sister appleseeders.
Special thanks to all who participated and contributed.

Leadslinger66

First class facilities and first class instruction. Great combination for a great weekend! It was an honor and a pleasure to shoot with and under the instruction of folks who "know what they are about!"

After attending a few Appleseed events, it's easy to see how this group is like a family.

And, I must have learned something. I only "blew through" about 240 rounds of ammo!
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

Morpheus

It was a great weekend, and I'm proud to be counted amongst the likes of these fine Americans at the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park. In spite of the wind we couldn't have asked for better weather, or better attitudes from the shooters. These KD events really draw together some of the best people that I know and I always leave on Sunday evening wanting more.

Many thanks to the Cajun Cadre for making the trek, and congratulations on all of them returning home with their well earned KD Rockers! It was a pleasure to see you again and may it not be too long until our paths cross again.

Of course, Rusty did an outstanding job with organizing this event and overcoming the issues with adapting our AS methods with the CMP range. Even though it was a "Beta" test event I don't know how it could have gone better.

Thank you to all of the shooters for making these weekends so worth the effort to attend. We who instruct do appreciate your feedback and your improvements. Thank you.

Steve
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

Roswell

If I had to describe this weekend in one word it would be easy. Wow!

The range itself is a dream. A pure paradise for Riflemen. 54 lanes of long distance targets at 200, 300 and 600 yards with electronic targets. The targets give immediate feedback on a screen by the shooter so, there is no need to go down range. Usually at a KD you walk 6-7 miles and not having to do that left us much fresher. It was an amazing weekend. We had two shooters qualify at KD who hadn't gotten Riflemen yet, but were close. In all 23 out of 25 qualified or re-qualified. Of the two that didn't, one had qualified before, but was trying to do it on irons with an M1 and I think had equipment issues. And 1 new orange hat!  ^:)^

Go to Talladega! Do it! You will not want to leave, LOL.

All the Instructors did an amazing job this weekend and it is obvious there was a lot of work put in leading up to this weekend as well. Thank you so much to everyone involved.

This is the sight that greeted us Saturday Morning when we set our 300 yard zeros for the weekend. Magnificent.

My personal view (Sunday)

One of the best parts of every Appleseed weekend to me is always the friendship and camaraderie.

The Instruction and History this weekend was A+ by all

Trajectory

Rusty explains the electronic targets and scoring system

Google explains Miliradians and the Mildot method

Russ (Georgia's newest Orange hat) earning his rocker

Rusty allowed me to take a picture of his rockers to give a better idea of how to set up a shooting jacket

At the end of Sunday we stretched our legs and went out to 600. I had one flyer that I called. The below though will give you an idea of the extreme wind previously mentioned. I assure you, I wasn't dragging wood.

Again, thank you to all. Thank you CMP, Instructors and students alike. I hope to see you all again on the trail some time.

In Liberty,
Roswell
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23

Agrivere

QuoteAt the end of Sunday we stretched our legs and went out to 600. I had one flyer that I called. The below though will give you an idea of the extreme wind previously mentioned. I assure you, I wasn't dragging wood.

The wind Sunday was the toughest I've seen at Talladega to date, and I've shot hundreds of rounds there at 600 yards.  The high wind speed made the flags on the right side of the range almost useless, as the wind would either go up and over them, or they would lie to you as the wind swirled back after it passed over the berm.  Same for the 600 yard flags.  Flags on the left side of the range would tell you what the wind was doing 20 or 30 seconds ago, which isn't really very useful information. :)  Add in the swirling effects on some of the shooting points on the big end due to the wind swirling over the berms and it was really, really hard to read.  Nobody should feel bad about missing some wind shifts on that day, that's for sure!
"The great body of our citizens shoot less as times goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among schoolboys, and indeed among all classes, as well as in the military services by every means in our power. Thus, and not otherwise, may we be able to assist in preserving peace in the world... The first step � in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come � is to teach men to shoot." -Theodore Roosevelt

Maximum Ordinate

I'm not sure there are words adequate to describe the CMP's Marksmanship Park in Talladega.  The Park is the product of years of saving and planning for the Civilian Marksmanship Program.  It is the most technically advanced marksmanship facility in the country.  Staffed by a well-rounded staff including some High Master marksman, the Park in Talladega welcomed Project Appleseed this past weekend for our first Known Distance event there!

Saturday morning started a bit too early.  Of course, you'd find the instructors at Waffle House - a Tennessee Valley pre-Appleseed tradition.  After fueling up on caffeine, cholesterol, and carbohydrates… we headed out to the range.  Our host, Sarah, and her staff had the lights & coffee on, waiting for us.Not long after, the shooters started to arrive.  Twenty-five shooters would gather to learn about KD shooting, hear some history, and enjoy the wonderful facilities.  I think the entire Louisana Krewe showed up!  We started out with some introductions and a welcome from CMP staff.  Our instructors included dond, Morpheus, 76Patriot, Google, and your author.  We would later be joined by Volunteer Patriot from Birmingham.

After a quick safety video, shooters got their park safety cards issued.  Then, we jumped into discussion of trajectory and the best way to shoot an AQT given a shooters particular equipment. We focused mostly on the effective use of Battlesight zero and come-ups.  76Patriot gave us a quick safety brief and we were off to Range 1, which is an impressive sight to behold.  Range 1 contains the 200/300/600 target lines.  After some instruction on the electronic targeting system, we shot sighters and dialed in our far zero (200 or 300 yards).  The benefits of the electronic system were quickly obvious:  immediate feedback with no walking to check targets.  The instructors realized this was going to be a good weekend.  Shooters arrived serious, well-practiced, and ready to learn.  Rifles were well-zeroed and sorted out prior to arrival.  All these things are ingredients for success at a KD! We packed up and moved to Range 2!

We spent a good part of the day at Range 2, which is a 100y range also with its own electronic targeting system.  We started with Ball & Dummy and then shot sighter groups to gather data on rifles.   During a quick lunch, we heard about the War of Regulation and the Battle of Alamance.  Getting back to the line, DonD shared about the finer points of shooting standing and we moved on to some standing practice.  Then, we shot standing for qualification. 

While at Range 2, Morepheus taught about Target Detection.  Your author and Google shared about Range Estimation, including a block on "Inches-Milliradians-Clicks" to discuss use of mildot scopes.  After spending some time measuring our front sight post and scope reticles, we moved out to the Unknown Distance Exercise to practice two of the challenges a Rifleman faces:  Target Detection and Range Estimation.

Unknown Distance was held on Range 5, a cowboy action area on which we placed five targets for shooters to find & estimate distance.  Range 5 has some very unusual topography, with with multiple bays and a high surrounding ridge.  It can be deceptive when estimating range using dead reckoning.  Most of the shooters were able to detect three or more of the targets, with scope users having a strong advantage.  Once the exercise was complete, we revealed the targets and allowed students to estimate range using their front sight post or scope reticle.  Estimating distance can be tough, but it requires a shooter to trust her math after measuring rather than her eyes.

We went back to the club house and heard the story of the Battle of King's Mountain.  Morpheus shared his epic reenactment of Patrick Henry's Give me Liberty or Give me Death speech - and wrapped up.  Mexican food at Rana's was a great way to end the day.

Sunday morning came around and everyone was excited to move to Range 1.  We conducted a quick AAR and shared some observations from the previous day.  Morpheus taught about environmental effects, including wind.  This would be valuable information later in the day.  We moved out to the Range 1 for AQTs!

Once we got to Range 1, shooters fired confirming sighters at 200 and 200, gathering data for their rifles and making observations about Battlesight Zeroes.  Again the value of the electronic targeting system was obvious. The temptation was to break position to peek at the computer screen, but most shooters resisted and got good data for their rifles… then we were on to AQTs.  The first two AQTs were shot using Battlesight Zero - no sight adjustments.  More than half our group qualified during these first two, including a couple of 50/50 and one 49/50!

We broke for lunch and a bit of discussion about come-ups… then it was back to the firing line.  We fired two more AQTs using come-ups and a bunch more shooters qualified!  At that point, we split the line. A few wanted to continue shooting AQTs.  Most of the shooters, under the leadership of Morpheus, stretched out to 600 yards.  Despite the winds, most shooters were able to maintain between 3-6 MOA at that distance.  Very well done!  We had two more qualifiers!  :)

The sun was starting to drop and folks were getting tired.  Nobody wanted the day to end, but many had a long journey home!

It was an absolute pleasure to work with everyone this past weekend.  Thank you to all of my fellow instructors who came out to teach at Talladega.  Shooters - y'all made this weekend a fantastic success!  It's our privilege to serve you.

in Liberty,
Rusty

A few of my favorite pictures, but it was hard to choose.  A bunch more can be found here:  http://s24.photobucket.com/user/rusty-appleseed/library/2016-01_TalladegaKD

Three generations of KD Riflemen

Lance, ummm...  Glen    ;)

The Lousiana Krewe

50/50!

And lots more!!!
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

Pop Revere

I was honored and excited to be an Instructor at the first inaugural Project Appleseed event at the CMP in Nov. 2015. I was even more excited to be a part of this first inaugural Project Appleseed KD at the CMP in Jan. 2016. It was more exciting this time because originally I wasn't going to be able to attend. Thanks to Rusty for calling me and letting me know there was room for me on the line and to my wife for encouraging me to go have fun. I'm so glad I did, because I had a great time. This was my 3rd KD event and this time I brought home that OD GREEN BAR. This goes to prove that what we teach at 25yds works at full distance and if I can do it, anyone can.
Saturday was a good day. After a brief seek and capture mission (inside story) it was off to the class room to discuss bullet trajectory. My favorite part of Saturday was the Target Detection & Range Estimation exercise. It was a real eye opener. I can see why illuminated reticules would come in handy. I couldn't see my black reticules against the landscape to be able to measure and range the targets properly. But I got close enough using the football field method. One target (smiley) I completely missed and another I saw until the sun started dropping behind the trees. As the shadows appeared the one target disappeared. The day was topped off with a good meal and great fellowship that night.

On Sunday we were greeted out on the range by high winds. According to the range flags the wind was blowing from different directions and different speeds. Morpheus called it a vortex effect. I prefer to call it an invisible tornado. There was times when the wind would gust so hard that it would push your body out of it's NPOA.
The day got worse as I started having equipment issues. :wb: A bad mag and many FTE's were killing my scores on Stage 2 & 3. But as we say "A Rifleman Persists" and "a Rifleman must know his rifle". I ran to my range box to gather what I needed and as soon as Morpheus put us in the next prep period I pulled the bolt, wiped it down, snaked the barrel, applied a fresh coat of oil, then slapped it back together all in record time. I would have liked to had that on video. By now the day was winding down and the pressure was mounting. I then got into my sling and down into the prone position. I zoned out and went into my Rifleman's Bubble and began focusing on my NPOA for stage 4. All of a sudden I hear this border line drill sergeants voice say "your going to make these shots". Now I know that nothing but a cease fire command is supposed to penetrate my bubble but that voice did it. When I looked over my right shoulder it was none other than Rusty. He looked me dead in the eyes and with a stone cold look he said it again, "Mike, you're a KD shooter and your going to make these shots and I'm going to lay here with you till you do". &) Now the pressure was definitely mounting. :slap: It was the first time all weekend I started to sweat. Since we were instructed to not watch our electronic monitors while shooting I had turned mine so I couldn't see it, but Rusty could. Laying next to me in prone he called my first few shots to let me know I was on target and then he ever so gently convinced me to BREATHE  FASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~~:)
At the end of the cease fire I didn't get to look at my monitor yet but I knew I had done well for 3 reasons. 1st reason is I found my NPOA, it felt good, and I trusted it. That's what RamblinWreck always tells us. It was like Wreck was talking to me. In my left ear of course because you know who was all up in my right ear. 2nd reason is I only called one shot off. The others I felt were good hits. The 3rd and most convincing reason was when Rusty dove on my back and hugged me into a near 10 second respiratory pause and proceeded to scream and yell GOOD things at me. ^:)^ Don't worry Ross I was a perfect gentleman, (another inside story).
After the honeymoon Rusty presented my KD patch and another big hug. I honestly think he was just as happy as I was and that made it even more special.
After a brief time out to text my wife and son the good news I began to walk up and down the line. It then occurred to me that as Riflemen and Instructors it's hard to admit when we need help, and even harder to ask for it. I also realized that as Riflemen we should not only be able to call our shots but also be able to recognize it and call it when we see someone in need of help. Whether it be a newbie that's never held a rifle before or a fellow instructor. We should not hesitate to lay down next to another shooter and push, pull, drag, toss, or whatever we have to do to help them get over that hump. I guess I was too proud or stubborn to ask for any help but Rusty recognized it, called it, and acted upon it. I'm sure I wasn't the only one he helped and that's why 23 of 25 of us qualified. For a while after that I focused on trying to help a few other shooters over the hump. Hopefully I was able to be of some help to some of you. For the rest of the day I got to play with my target monitor and just have fun shooting. I shot a few quick videos and took a few pics. I will attach them below.

In closing I would like to say, "it was good seeing many of my Appleseed family again and a real pleasure to make new friends and memories over the weekend".

A Special Thank You goes out to …
Morpheus, your Patrick Henry speech is awesome. Your dedication is undeniable.
DonD, it was a pleasure seeing you again. Tell Sarah I hope she gets better soon. Don't forget those GPS directions next time, ha-ha. Congrats on your KD qualification.
76Patriot, thanks for all you did and good luck on the SBIT.
Google, Beauty and Brains, what else can I say. My brain is still scrambled from the miliradians math. You made it look easy.
Volunteer Patriot, I'm glad you paid us a visit. Next time bring your rifle.
My hats off to LAWDOG and the Louisiana crew for making the long drive. We enjoyed having y'all.
Make sure to tell everyone that us Bama folks aren't so bad, when it's not football season, lol. ROLL TIDE!

Another Special Thank You to the CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park. It is the best range ever. Everyone be sure to email them a Thank You message.

Last but not least a Super Special Thank You goes out to Rusty. I believe this was your best event yet. The planning and COF was great. You seemed more relaxed and every time you presented a patch you looked like a proud Dad. I am so glad you called and offered me a spot on the line and for the help you gave me while I was there. I will always remember this weekend and especially that Stage 4, OUR stage 4. Your dedication to Project Appleseed, our Liberties, our Country and all of us is undeniable and very much appreciated. :bow:

In Liberty,
AR-Mike
The constant threats against our Country and our Liberties make me worry about my Grandchildren's future. This has made me realize that I don't have time to wait on my work schedule to slow down or my knees to get any better. So I'm back, ready and willing again, to do what I can because "I will NOT allow Liberty to die on my watch".
Mike Cofield (Pop Revere)

Attended my 1st Appleseed in 2010
Scored Rifleman & took an Orange Hat 2013
IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
IBC  Columbiana, AL  7-2015
KD Qualified at CMP Talladega, AL  1-2016
IBC Huntsville, AL  2-2022
Re-Activated 2-2022

Pop Revere

Here are some of the pictures I took ...

AR-Mike
The constant threats against our Country and our Liberties make me worry about my Grandchildren's future. This has made me realize that I don't have time to wait on my work schedule to slow down or my knees to get any better. So I'm back, ready and willing again, to do what I can because "I will NOT allow Liberty to die on my watch".

IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
Re-Activated 2-2022

Pop Revere

My apologies. I'm having trouble sending all of the pics at once. Even after I reduced their file sizes it keeps kicking me out of the forum.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

AR-Mike

IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
Re-Activated 2-2022

Pop Revere

And some more...

AR-Mike

IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
Re-Activated 2-2022

Pop Revere

Sorry folks I can't get any more pics to load right now. I will try again later.

AR-Mike

IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
Re-Activated 2-2022

bollox

Great event. Much well deserved praise above me. I especially liked the target detection and ranging exercise. I think come ups are easier to "get" starting at 100 yds and working out but one can go the other way. Come ups might be better to get under similar environmental conditions so nothing else (temp, light) has the opportunity to affect zero. Finally, the facility and event were awesome. True AS targets that present different sight pictures at different ranges would be awesomer.

Don't let any of my comments detract from the well deserved praise for the organizers and facility. Had a blast.

Ramblin' Wreck

This appears to have been an EPIC Appleseed KD. Wish I could have been there. I was thinking of you.  ;)

Maybe I'll see you back at Talladega in May or at our one day KD in Pelham, TN (no electronic targets there, you have to walk) the end of this month.

Leviticus 25:10

Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Josey Wales

..Wow!!
..Appleseed at its finest. Boy am I jealous a bit, but not in a bad way. Very happy for you all!!
Grumpy1 has his sights on coming down, now I can detect why. Awesome job!!

..Strength & Honor, Josey Wales..

..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: wbridgeman on February 04, 2016, 09:56:14 PM
Great event. Much well deserved praise above me. I especially liked the target detection and ranging exercise. I think come ups are easier to "get" starting at 100 yds and working out but one can go the other way. Come ups might be better to get under similar environmental conditions so nothing else (temp, light) has the opportunity to affect zero. Finally, the facility and event were awesome. True AS targets that present different sight pictures at different ranges would be awesomer.

Don't let any of my comments detract from the well deserved praise for the organizers and facility. Had a blast.

Wayne, I completely agree about the come-ups and accept responsibility for it being "choppy".   We can improve on that for next time.

I hope the targeting system software will evolve to use different shaped targets.  That would be very cool.
-Thomas Jefferson

LawDog

When our magnificent host, the CMP, sees another few events and concludes that no one teaches rifle marksmanship like AS does, it will beg KTS to add silhouette rifle targets.  It's inevitable!

MandyMonstar

Work's finally calmed down a bit and I can get back to thinking in English instead of SQL long enough to post something.

My one-word summary for the weekend is: Wow.

I went into the weekend a nervous wreck.  While my scope was zeroed at 25 the weekend before, I knew that it was hitting high at 300 out at my regular range, but couldn't be sure how high.  It was a great relief that we started the weekend by actually confirming a 300yd zero.  Those electronic targets are sure bigger than the paper ones I was using at home, and the difference between 300 and 25 wasn't nearly as bad as it had seemed.  From there out the battle sight zero really clicked for me.

Over at the 100yd range, I greatly appreciated the discussion of different approaches to the standing position.  While I couldn't quite make all of them work, giving myself permission to do something a little different this time definitely helped.  Even though I ended up in nearly the same position as where I started, the demos made me really think about why I was where I was.

The history breaks were excellent, and most of it was new to me.  Yall did a great job of putting the marksmanship in context and framing the weekend.

Day two really stretched the limits of my skills and my rifle.  I'd mostly worked out a grip issue on day one, and just had to focus on not letting go of the rifle between shots to keep it up.  I did well enough with the battle sight zero to pass, but wasn't able to immediately turn around and score better than Alan (my husband) this time.  As the day wore on and the wind continued to push me around, it really became evident that the ultralight carbine had me at a disadvantage to his match rifle.  It's possible that there was no other reason than it being that much easier for the wind to shove me around.  Next time I'll bring my own heavy match rifle and the terms will be more fair.  ;)

I do hope that there will be a next time!  I had so much fun and feel much more confident now.  Adjusting the sights for distance and keeping the same sight picture at different ranges is definitely a skill I'd like to keep working on, so we'll have to come back sometime.  Alan's terrible about posting in the forum, but I promise that he also has only good things to say about the event.  For the past few days he's talked about almost nothing but how all of what we learned over the weekend applies to what he wants to do in 3-gun and how incredibly useful the distance estimation will be at the next match.

Thank you so very much for putting on an excellent event.  Yall are the best!

Pop Revere

Sorry for the delay but this is the last of the pictures I have.

AR-Mike

IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
Re-Activated 2-2022

geeck

Quote from: LawDog on February 05, 2016, 01:07:55 PM
When our magnificent host, the CMP, sees another few events and concludes that no one teaches rifle marksmanship like AS does, it will beg KTS to add silhouette rifle targets.  It's inevitable!

I'm thinking bigger.... a KD AQT  at the CMP Regional games and at the Nationals at Camp Perry CMP Week

HRoark

This was my last hurrah for a little while. My wife and I are soon expecting our first child. When this event came up, the due date was 5 weeks out from the shoot. Little did I expect the doctors to move the date forward three times, leaving me watching the phone all weekend.

The CMP range was like showing up at an amusement park. The long winding driveway up, nervously scanning to see the great prize awaiting. And was it a prize. The staff was courteous, the layout of the shop overlooking the range was amazing, and the electronic scoring as cool as it sounds.

Great instruction while sitting behind DonD was entertaining. You could tell he was struggling being on the student side of the room. It was then time to get after it. I had been so close to both the patch and the rocker at the last KD, and given the impending addition to the family, knew it was time to prove that I could do it. After the first day, I was confident that it would happen. Good chatting with Roswell and 76er at dinner instilled more confidence.

As always, the passion in the history gave me goosebumps. It's truly a pleasure to spend the weekend with such great company.

Plus I got a cool orange hat. ^:)^

dond

This was a great event and Rusty did a superb job at everything. It was also heartwarming to meet some people I haven't seen for years, such as Lawdog. It was especially gratifying to qualify on the same day as my daughter and grandson. Of course Google had qualified earlier.

Yes I struggled some - too much teaching and not enough shooting. Also it seems that I have suddenly become much older and less agile than I used to be. But Rusty was a great help to me, as he was to others.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Google

It was a great weekend.  All of the shooters were knowledgeable, determined, and just a lot of fun to be around.  I look forward to seeing all of you again.  I was honored to be a part of this crew of instructors.  The only thing that would have made it better is if Ramblin' Wreck had been able to join us. 

This weekend was very special to me personally because it was the first time that my father, DonD, my son, IIT BulletSquid, and I have been on the firing line together.  Those of you that don't know DonD well may not appreciate what a challenge it was to convince him to be a shooter rather than an instructor.  Rusty and Ramblin' Wreck were determined to do just that and persisted, like rifleman, until they prevailed; I'm grateful to them both.  It was a thrill for all three of us to shoot qualifying scores at the same event!  ^:)^ ^:)^

If you haven't had an opportunity to go to the CMP Marksmanship Park at Talladega, I hope to see you at an event there soon!

Stockbreaker

This is what we felt like by 5 PM Sunday.
Just great!

LawDog

Rusty noted that handing DonD his KD rocker was a great moment for him (and, I suspect, for Don). Well, I had a similar cool AS moment at this event - having Don coach me in ball and dummy.  I don't think I was that nervous when I was waiting for my bar exam results!  I put that one up there with the day Don presented my son with a Blue Hat.