News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

seeking armed self-defense training

Started by pocahontaspatriot, December 31, 2015, 02:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pocahontaspatriot

Our pastor and I are looking for a source/provider for some sort of armed self-defense training to make available to our church members.  We are in east-central West Virginia, close to the Virginia line.  Recommendations?

My family and I went through an Appleseed class last Summer, near Lynchburg Va.  A wonderful experience!

DEH

-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC, '14, '15, '22 KD
-I.C.E '11 Combat Focus Shooting.
-Tactical Response. '09-'12
-Fighting Rifle/Pistol, Immediate Action Medical, Way of the Rifle
-MTN Guerrilla-2013/Irreg Warfare
-Max Velocity Tactical. 2013-2022. RIFLEMAN,TEAM COYOTE
 CRCDx2,Combat Patrol, Rifleman Challenge,CQB,CTT,FOFx2. DCHx2.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

pocahontaspatriot

Thanks, DEH!  Max's site looks impressive..probably too heavy-duty for our mostly older and overweight church, but it may be what I have been looking for  for my family.  Do you have personal knowledge/make personal recommendation of the organization?

DEH

Don't be intimidated.  I have been in his entry level classes (Combat Team Tactics that requires fire and maneuver) with 70 year olds and big fat fellows.  While they naturally did not do as well as the more fit individuals, they still got lots out of it.

You will need to contact them directly about the physical requirements of the class, but I suspect that they will be minimal.  Here is a link to the class's information on his forum.  http://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/questions-on-new-ccw-class/

If you do decide to go to the class, please let him know that Duane recommended you (I could use some brownie points)

So yes I have personal knowledge and recommend the classes.  I have taken classes at several other schools and they are the most relevant.

If you have any other questions, PM me with your phone number.

-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

pocahontaspatriot

Thanks.  I've ordered one of Max's books, as a starting point to learning about his approach, and so i don't ask so many stupid questions when I contact him.

Other ideas about helping a church community to begin thinking about being able to defend itself welcome.

DEH

His books aren't specifically geared towards church defense.

jmdavis

Been there and it is a good class. You could start with his square range class and then determine if you think it would work for your group or family.
I plan to do the patrol class in the spring and maybe another as well
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner