News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

To shift, or not to shift that is the question

Started by Engineer shooting, December 08, 2015, 01:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisherdawg

Seriously, my POI does contain a "time to first shot drill"

Quote from: ItsanSKS on December 15, 2015, 03:45:05 PM
Quote from: jmdavis...you don't learn the precise application of marksmanship by shooting fast and then becoming accurate...

'Tis an excellent point sir, and well taken.  When teaching prone, or seated, students should not be hurried; they should be impressed with the ideal positions, and how best to achieve stability within them.  Graduation from static positions to transitions should not occur until proficiency in the position has been achieved.  I set the bar at 3/5 hits in the black of a 4 MOA square from a static position.  Unless the preponderance of students have achieved this minimum standard, the line does not progress to transitions, and certainly not to the AQT.
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

jmdavis

What's the prize for finishing a stage first?

Time to first shot means absolutely nothing if the students aren't in good positions, don't have sight alignment, and don't have good trigger control. There is no prize for being the fastest.

On the other hand if that student takes the time to get a good position, align his sights, use good trigger control and fire the rifle without disturbing the sights, he may earn a prize. And that prize is a Riflemans patch.

There is a time for one shot drills. But I'm not sure that time is at an Appleseed. Remember crawl, walk, run.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

fisherdawg

Our results speak for themselves JM.  Time to first shot must be accomplished with all the sound fundamentals you describe.  If a student cannot achieve sufficient hits in stages 2 & 3, there is no prize.  As we well know, a 210+  can be achieved with less than 10 shots on Stages 2 & 3 because only hits count and points can be picked up on Stages 1 & 4 where time pressure is not an issue.  We teach our students that fact.  However, if no shooter on a line is getting a first shoot off with 12 to 14 seconds on a transition stage, it is clear to me that the transition itself needs to be drilled. This is what time to first shot drill teaches, not that there's a prize for finishing first.
I think I learned this drill from Fred or maybe ItsanSKS, I don't remember.  But it does work.

Quote from: jmdavis on December 23, 2015, 02:31:39 PM
What's the prize for finishing a stage first?

Time to first shot means absolutely nothing if the students aren't in good positions, don't have sight alignment, and don't have good trigger control. There is no prize for being the fastest.

On the other hand if that student takes the time to get a good position, align his sights, use good trigger control and fire the rifle without disturbing the sights, he may earn a prize. And that prize is a Riflemans patch.

There is a time for one shot drills. But I'm not sure that time is at an Appleseed. Remember crawl, walk, run.
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

jmdavis

There is no prize for finishing first. The prize is for meeting a standard and that standard doesn't care if the first shot comes in 15 seconds or 30 seconds. It only matters if the stage is shot well and completed in 55 or 65 seconds.

I do a lot of 1 and 2 shot drills. But my goal is to shoot my shots well. Well means and X, a V, a 10 or a 5 depending on the target.  Once the student is shooting well, speed will come. On the other hand I have seen a lot of shooters stressed to shoot fast, or follow a cadence or even fire a shot every 3 seconds. Any guesses on how those worked out?

If shot 1 takes 25 seconds it takes 25 seconds. You still have plenty of time to do well. But you need to have your position, sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control to do well.

Note what National champion and record holder Sherri Gallagher spends her time on, aiming and good shots. The rhythm and speed are determined by your speed gauge, and that is your sights. You don't shoot faster than you can make good shots. She shot a 100 with 8x that day and used 52 of 55 seconds to do it starting from position. First shot was a 10+ seconds.

http://youtu.be/bI3CNcLDvTs

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

ItsanSKS

JM & fisherdawg, you guys are talking past each other, with both saying the same thing.

The whole goal of the time to first shot drill is to illustrate that it is possible to make a first round hit inside of 14 seconds.  Those who fire the round, yet miss, are chastised, (only hits count, misses are wasted shots) and must repeat the exercise (with individual coaching to help them identify and overcome hurdles).  Those that hit the target inside of the time constraints are commended, and encouraged to continue with the exercise as practice- with the goal to improve accuracy, or speed, or both. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."