News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New law for firearms inheritance in Mi

Started by Caliper, November 25, 2015, 08:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliper

Just sharing for those who aren't subscribed to the NRA-ILA mailing list.  Sounds like a positive change for anyone in the unfortunate situaton of having lost a loved one.  :'(

Michigan: Governor Snyder Signs Firearm Inheritance Protection Act

Today, November 24, Governor Rick Snyder (R) signed Senate Bills 225 and 226.  Introduced by state Senator Mike Shirkey (R-16), these important bills provide long overdue and necessary protections for law-abiding individuals who receive pistols through inheritance.  Highlighting the unintentional absurdities that are often created by firearm licensing and registration schemes, SB 225 and SB 226 accomplish the following two major reforms:
•Under current law, a previously unregistered pistol passing through the inheritance process would be considered contraband.  As such, it would be subject to potential confiscation and destruction in Michigan.  Such a seizure is especially abhorrent under circumstances in which a pistol is a family heirloom or holds sentimental significance.  Once enacted, the provisions of SB 225 would recognize that firearms can have monetary and sentimental value and should be protected from government confiscation, if otherwise lawfully bequeathed or passed through intestate succession.

•Current law requires the personal representative of an estate to obtain a pistol license and register each pistol that he or she takes possession of for the sole purpose of testamentary or intestate disposition.  This places an illogical burden on the administrator or executor of an estateâ€"often an attorneyâ€"especially considering that they never have legal ownership of the pistol and are already prohibited by law from utilizing its functionality.  Once enacted, SB 225 would allow the personal representative of an estate to dispose of a pistol in accordance with Michigan law without having to needlessly submit his or her name to a government firearm database.  Furthermore, the already tedious and laborious inheritance process will be more streamlined, financially and emotionally benefiting all involved.

Senate Bills 225 and 226 will take effect in 90 days.  Using the contact information below, please contact state Senator Mike Shirkey and thank him for shepherding these important measures through the legislative process.

Senator Mike Shirkey
(517) 373-5932
MikeShirkey@senate.mi.gov

SteelThunder

My kids threw a little celebration when they heard this...
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

Oz

Quote from: SteelThunder on November 25, 2015, 11:29:38 AM

For the money they will save in ink pens alone, they should!

I'm still willing to be an heir if it reduces the burden on them.  :)
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

SteelThunder

Quote from: Oz on November 25, 2015, 12:18:37 PM
Quote from: SteelThunder on November 25, 2015, 11:29:38 AM

For the money they will save in ink pens alone, they should!

I'm still willing to be an heir if it reduces the burden on them.  :)

Keep on talkin' Mr. "Ivegot3lastditchtype99s...andljungmansandtokarevs"

;D :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

mac66

Not sure this is such a big deal. It is pretty easy to register a pistol (whether previously registered or not and from where ever it came from) by filling out an RI60 and turning in a copy. I understand now the executor of a will can now dispose of handguns without having to actually register them in their own name but it's not too hard for a family member to fill out a the forms. Granted the laws are so confusing and convoluted that most people don't know that. I've never heard of the state treating inherited pistols as contraband, they just want them registered.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Graywolf

Perhaps this isn't so much about what has been the practice in the past, but making sure it does not happen in the future under some future jurisdiction's hoplophobic application of the law of the (now) old law?  It would not be the first time a jurisdiction decided to make felons out of law-abiding citizens.

Quote from: mac66 on November 26, 2015, 06:05:11 PM
Not sure this is such a big deal. It is pretty easy to register a pistol (whether previously registered or not and from where ever it came from) by filling out an RI60 and turning in a copy. I understand now the executor of a will can now dispose of handguns without having to actually register them in their own name but it's not too hard for a family member to fill out a the forms. Granted the laws are so confusing and convoluted that most people don't know that. I've never heard of the state treating inherited pistols as contraband, they just want them registered.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

"There ain't no easy horses.  Learn to ride."  S.K.B.