News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Baconton, GA 14 November 2015

Started by goose, November 16, 2015, 04:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goose

Will post more, but here's a few to get it started...

We made the news (FOX affiliate in Albany, GA):  http://wfxl.com/news/local/shooting-clinic-aims-to-teach-skills-american-history

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

Engineer shooting

A new Rifleman, a new Orange hat and a new Blue hat. HUZZAH!

Working with Goose, Dr John and Dot well worth the commute from Florida.

One of the student was a Minister, walking in the foot steps of Jonas Clarke and William Emerson in the cause of Liberty.
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

goose

Ken brought Jeff, and Jeff took an Orange Hat! 

Our October event brought Steve and his son, Ben, to the line.  Steve is so invigorated he put a respectable 216 on the AQT, AND he took a Blue Hat to join us in making sure that Baconton will stay in the calendar.

Tony joined us, impromptu, with a wee-hour decision to get to the registration table as a walk-on, but he has already proven his skills with posterity by having his daughter attend in 2014.

Tim got in the groove and improved his groups through the day.  With perfect practice, Tim will be sporting a Rifleman patch in no time!

Our resident sharp-shooter Dennis came to hone his skills after a hiatus from the range, and he is still was under 4moa!

Our administrator, Blue Hat Dot (my wife), just took the reigns and ran the registration table like one of those McCuan/Lundeen professionals...t-shirts, chamber flags, walk-ons all handled simply and precise.

Dr. John saddled up with Teva for the big ride down Georgia, and Ken, with Jeff riding shotgun, made the early morning ride from north Florida to make the one-day simply superb!

My phone rang about 10am, and it's a local Fox News reporter looking for directions to the range.  Of course, a non-standard event, and I'm running for cover, but she arrived in about 30 minutes, and we struck up a conversation before my 15-minutes-of-fame began.  I hope I altered her previous notions about shooting ranges, the "usual suspects" who inhabit shooting ranges, and what Appleseed offers as an instructional course of History and Markmanship to  A N Y O N E.  I did try to emphasize to her exactly who was *missing* from our firing line, and how we might change that through educating the viewing public.  So, we shall see how this manifests itself over time.  Jazmyne Hankerson is invited back anytime to participate.

Ken and John kept the wheels greased and the instruction flowing throughout the day, and especially during my "MSM" distraction.  They were patient and kind to give the line to Jazmyne to fire her first 3 Rifle rounds before she departed.  The exemplary skills in teaching, vast History knowledge, and Leadership kept the day rolling at a wonderful pace where it was never evident that anyone just reached that "I've had enough" as we almost fired 200 rounds on redcoats, squares and 3 AQT's!  (unless my math was really bad)

Perfect weather of 48 to 73 to top it off.

All this with 2 students registered on Wednesday prior to the weekend.

This is a great venue.  Rustic enough to be "South Georgia", and outfitted enough to give any guest, member or Appleseed student all they could want from a well-hosted range in SW Georgia.  The owners, Greg, Dennis, Noel; and the resident manager Dewayne, configured a 25-yd range with fixed cover for Appleseed.  There is a 50-yd corridor just to the left of the 25-yd line, AND a 100-yd range literally the next berm to the left!!!  We need to work up to 2-day events and get KD as a standard on Sunday.

I heeded the "blistering SAAR" from my October experience, and I got a beaming, smiling wife for November who knows she is becoming a beneficial team member for Baconton.

To Everyone:  You ALL made this November Saturday incredibly fun, engaging and well-worth the restful sleep on Saturday night...so tired, we didn't even build a campfire back at the "ant farm".

My sincere Thank YOU,

-goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

Roswell

Sounds like a bang up event! Congrats to the new riflemen! To the new hats, welcome to the family. :) Huzzah to all!
Known Distance Qualified: Talladega, AL 12-3-16 - 45/50; Distinguished 49/50 - Talladega, AL 12-8-19
Instructor Boot Camp: Toccoa, GA 7-13, 8-15; Pelham, TN 2-14, 2-16; Columbiana, AL 2-15; Canton, GA 2-18, 1-19, 2-20, 2-21, 3-22, 2-23, 1-24
Shoot Boss Boot Camp and Liberty Seminar: Toccoa, GA 8-14 & Canton, GA 1-19

Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: South Huntsville, AL 5-20; Canton, GA 1-21, 2-24
Pistol Qualified: Spencer, TN 4-10-21
Charter Pistol Instructor Boot Camp: Antioch, TN 2-22 & Canton, GA 1-23