News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Moyock, NC Milseed, November 12, 2015

Started by The Wolfhound, November 15, 2015, 03:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wolfhound

How can Appleseed help a US Navy boarding party? That was the question we tried to answer at Moyock North Carolina.  Under the watchful eyes of Monkey, JL, and the additional expertise of JMDavis, an 11 man boarding party from a US Navy destroyer took on the challenge a one day Appleseed could present. 
We started by zeroing the M4s then applied those to a Redcoat target. Followed that with a slightly modified course of fire based on the Milseeds set up by Boltgun71.  We applied position, 6 steps and NPOA and all our shooters showed dedication and attention to the task.   Learning occurred and Marksmanship improved.  Along the way at a distant range we heard that "jack hammer of Freedom", A Browning .50 Caliber Machine gun, "Ma Duce". It was a really good day.  Skills improved and shooters and instructors were satisfied that we had achieved our goal.

colonial shooter

Sounds like a great event...

At first I thought "who would even go to Moyock,NC"? I remember it as a hole in the swamp, but it has been 15 years since I was there. Glad that the US Navy took advantage of the training and improved their performance. With all that is going on in the world... They may need it now more than ever.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Monkey

They were the cheapest place "in town" that would let them shoot what they wanted to shoot (i.e. not frangible)!

Already looking at military "marketing" opportunities...
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

jmdavis

Gravel, discarded brass and steel, with some remnants of glass shoots, but that's still better than the sandstorms blowing down the KD range. For those coming from Richmond it was a day that began at 0400 and didn't end until 2100. But the shooters showed progress and there is no doubt that Boltgun's COF works.

The day ended with two exercises "in gear". The first was offhand with 100 yard 25m silhouette with 2 five round mags and a mag change. The second was an offhand blank AQT shoot also with 2- 5 round mags and a mag change. The results were gratifying.

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Lawrence

Great work to all, especially my old friend jmdavis!

Thanks to KDan's great video work at Fort Drum in 2010, I was privileged to receive a copy of boltgun71's presentation that day. You couldn't make a better choice to use as a guide for your event. My RBC "Long Range Component" follows, in detail, the solid and experience presentation John made to those soldiers.

Honor and thanks to each volunteer in the chain of contributions perpetuating the Appleseed legacy!