News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Talladega, AL 6/7 November 2015

Started by Maximum Ordinate, November 12, 2015, 08:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

An EPIC weekend... a word that I've used only twice in my Appleseed career!

For many of the instructors, this marksmanship clinic started on Friday.  As most of this awesome crew traveled in, it seemed fitting we should give the new CMP Marksmanship Park a test drive, so to speak.  About a dozen instructors drove Friday morning and arrived at noon on Friday for a brown bag lunch, a quick safely brief, and then we were out to Range 2 (100y electronic) where we would spend Saturday & Sunday!  After an hour or so, we moved to Range 1 (the 600y electronc range) and stretched out beyond the Rifleman's Quarter Mile.  The elegance and utility of these ranges is the electronic targeting system, which means 600y shots and no walking! 

Of course, because Ben "Black Cloud" Brandon was with us, the bottom dropped out at the end of the day... clouds would stay with us for the entire weekend, but spirits couldn't be dampened!  After the range closed, our crew moved back to Range 2 and did the initial setup.  Then off to dinner, where we would meet Morpheus and his family and SureShotSpartan!  After an extended meal with good company, we called it a night.

Saturday morning arrived, complete with threatening clouds.  The crew arrived about 7am and we gathered for an instructor meeting and to finalize setup before our shooters arrived... and arrive they did!  Then, in the instructor meeting, a young man asked for a Blue Hat!  Welcome to the Instructor Corps, Jacob!  47 fine American's showed up that drizzly morning to learn shooting fundamentals and hear the story about the beginning of our Republic.  We gathered under the pavilion.  After a quick intro, Ramblin Wreck shared the First Strike of the Match, sharing about the lead up to April 19th 1775 and the brave Patriots on Lexington Green.  From there, we did a quick safety brief and were greeted by the chief of range operations, Sarah Hall who spoke briefly to us about the CMP.  Then... Rifles to the Line!

After shooting a Hits Count (Redcoat) target, we dove into instruction.  Ramblin Wreck was our line boss.  We had a pretty good mix of new and prior Appleseeders on the line, lots of good questions, and we moved through Sling Use, NPOA, and Prone fairly quickly.  Before we knew it, we fired our first group and it was lunch time!  During lunch, your narrator shared the Second Strike and the events in Concord, Colonel Barrett's farm, and the loss of Isaac Davis at the North Bridge. 

With daylight savings time upon us, we went back to the line for more instruction and drills.  Google served as our line boss.  The rain had turned most of the distance between firing and target lines to mud, but that didn't deter our shooters!  Up and down the line, there were smiles and laughter.  After an AQT during which most of the shooters were amazed by their progress, we jumped into something special.  Rather than a closing Redcoat Target, shooters took down their backers and we raised the 100 yard electronic targets!  Shooting in flights, each shooter got to fire a couple of strings and see their shots appear on the screens!  I *know* they were happy not to walk in the mud!  :)

There was a strange thing though - all the shooters with 22's were hitting low.  The shooters with ARs were hitting high on their targets.  We'd talk more about that on Sunday!

We closed Saturday with SureShotSpartan giving the most rousing telling of the Third Strike I've ever heard.  It was tough following him, but we awarded some youth patches.  Sam stepped up to take an Orange Hat!  Jacob & Jason both earned their Rifleman patches with strong scores!  Dennis and Roy visiting us from Florida both requalified as Riflemen!!  HUZZAH!!!!

All of that was wonderful, but it couldn't pale to Google earning her Red Hat and having it awarded by her father, Master Instructor DonD.  Well done, Miss Google!  You are a lady who knows what she's about.

Sunday morning came with grey skies  There were thunderstorms in the region, but they were skirting us to the South... so we pushed on.  The stalwart returned to discover the ground was a *bit* less muddy.  The rain would stay away most of the day!

After a morning Redcoat (which looked MUCH better than yesterday's redcoat), we shot a few squares and did some seating practical exercises.  We shot an AQT - and learned we had men among us who knew well what they were about!  Lunch brought us stories of the Dangerous Old Men and a discussion about Known Distance shooting.  Thanks to AR-Mike, we had a plaque presentation for Sarah, to the CMP on behalf of Project Appleseed!

Following lunch, we shot a couple more AQTs.  Then, in lieu of another Redcoat, we chose to raise the 100y electronic targets.  At this point, the SB tied together yesterday's experience (high or low groups) with the KD discussion.  The 22LR shooters raised their sights 5MOA and we turned the screens away from the shooters during their first group.  Amazingly, the adjustments for trajectory worked and our shooters were making fine groups at 100y!  For some, these were the best groups of the day!

But all good things needed to come to an end.  We awarded some Rifleman patches to Taylor (236!  You go girl!), Lilly (219!), Jason (235 - requal!), and finally Tom!  Tom earned a baptism in water from the North Bridge with his 210... AND he accepted an Orange Hat!

With more rain coming down, a motivated group of shooters and instructors helped restore the range to it's pre-Appleseed configuration.  (minus the mud - sorry Sarah and Randy!)

Congratulations to all of the new Riflemen, our new Blue Hat, and our two new Orange Hats.  All of our shooters made great progress this weekend.  Those of you still striving for your patch, remember that A Rifleman Persists!  On behalf of our entire instructor team, it was our privilege to serve you this weekend.  I hope to see each of you on the line again soon!

I'll post some below from the weekend and the link to my Photobucket album.  If you'd like a full-resolution copy of a picture, please send me a message through the forum with your email address!

in Liberty,
Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Maximum Ordinate

here are the pics I promised...

Registration with Sarah

Yep, that's mud from Saturday afternoon!

Spartan, rocking the house!

Left to right:  SarahD, DonD, new full-instructor Google, your author

Sam (Sammy's dad) with his new headgear!

Jacob, with an extremely soggy 240 target!

Our VIP visitors from Florida!

All the youth from Saturday!

Jason with his two Sunday requal scores!

Sammy with a requal - 247.  He was disappointed, as he's already shot a 250!

Lilly!

that was a cold 210!

Tom and his shiny new hat...

Our CMP Range Safety Officer, Randy, with some parting words.

Instructor crew (sadly, minus the Tates) closing out Sunday!

There are some more in my photobucket... you can find them here:  http://s24.photobucket.com/user/rusty-appleseed/library/2015-10_TalladegaAL

best,
Rusty

P.S.  Please feel free to post your own pictures and comments/suggestions for the weekend.
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

inSANEmom

Congratulations to all on such a successful event! Wish I could have been there!
-----AMY-----

Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have. - Ronald Reagan

JustABitOutside

Great weekend - thanks to the team!  Wife and the girls had a great time.  Ordered the book Sunday night.  Looking forward to learning more.

AH1Tom

What a great weekend. This was my second Appleseed. Just as with my first event in Guntersville the team of instructors that came together were exceptional. Their dedication to the task and passion about sharing the history of our nation's birth was very evident and infectious. The facility at the CMP Talladega Marksmanship park was perfect.
As Rusty mentioned, I earned my Rifleman patch this weekend with a score of 210. It was an honor to receive that patch under the tutelage of such a fine set of instructors. Of course being baptized with water from the north bridge by Ramblin Wreck is a once in a lifetime event that will be remembered for years to come.

As I move forward as an IIT I hope I can uphold the fine tradition of instruction that I have experienced from the other volunteers on this program.

Pop Revere

First of all I want to say to...
Rusty, "Job Well Done" O0 O0
Spartan, "I still have a major case of HEART BURN, lol" :sb:
inSANEmom, "We also wish you could've been here with us" :'(
JustABitOutside, "I'm glad y'all had a good time. Enjoy the book. Learn the history, shoot  a 210, take a Orange hat and join us. Hint-Hint ;)
AH1Tom, "You will do just fine. You may stumble a bit while you learn to teach, but we will not let you fall." ~~:)

For everyone else, I am so glad all of you made it and hopefully you had a good time. I was especially touched to see all of the kids there. They are the future of our great republic and hopefully they learned something.
I want to say "Thank You" to my friends Alan, Morgan, & Nick (SemperFi). It was truly a honor to have y'all there. Please come back.
Hey Morgan, I was serious when I said "bring the sorority girls to an all women Ladyseed". If we plan it ahead of time us instructors will try to gather up enough loaner rifles for them to use. Check the schedule, think about it and Nick and I can work out the details.
To my fellow instructors (brothers & sisters) and especially my extended family Darrell and Heather, it was so good to see all of you again. This was the best time I have had at an Appleseed, honestly. I hope to see all of you again in the future.

I encourage all of you to contact the CMP (Fbook or email) and thank them for having us. Don't forget to thank Sarah, Mike, & Randy for all of their help.

I will post the pics I took of both days.

In Liberty,
AR-Mike

The constant threats against our Country and our Liberties make me worry about my Grandchildren's future. This has made me realize that I don't have time to wait on my work schedule to slow down or my knees to get any better. So I'm back, ready and willing again, to do what I can because "I will NOT allow Liberty to die on my watch".
Mike Cofield (Pop Revere)

Attended my 1st Appleseed in 2010
Scored Rifleman & took an Orange Hat 2013
IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
IBC  Columbiana, AL  7-2015
KD Qualified at CMP Talladega, AL  1-2016
IBC Huntsville, AL  2-2022
Re-Activated 2-2022

Pop Revere

Here are some pics. Enjoy!

AR-Mike
The constant threats against our Country and our Liberties make me worry about my Grandchildren's future. This has made me realize that I don't have time to wait on my work schedule to slow down or my knees to get any better. So I'm back, ready and willing again, to do what I can because "I will NOT allow Liberty to die on my watch".

IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
Re-Activated 2-2022

Pop Revere

Here are some more ...

IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
Re-Activated 2-2022

Pop Revere

Here are some more ... Sorry I had to reduce the sizes and break them into groups so they would upload. If anyone wants a full res pic send me a email to ...

mikecofield@bellsouth.net

IBC  Pelham, TN  2-2014
Re-Activated 2-2022

Maximum Ordinate

EddieB has some great photos in his Photobucket... here's a few to check out.

Starting Saturday morning...

Ramblin' Wreck telling Strike 1

Suck it in for the camera, Rusty.

Rocking the AQT old-school.

Line on the left

Line on the right

A busy, busy line...

100 yard line UP!

Check out more pics here:  http://s288.photobucket.com/user/EddieB_AS/library/Talladega%20AL%20November%207%202015

Thanks Eddie!
-Thomas Jefferson

dond

Rusty, you ran a fantastic event. Congratulations.  O0

And it was a heartwarming occasion for our family.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

goose

You gotta be in the record books, Sir!  Forty-seven!  Words cannot describe it, but "EPIC" pretty well covers it.  Outstanding, Rusty!

Great pictures...and WHAT A CREW YOU HAD!

-goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

PHenry

Congrats Google! You know, I met yer dad in very early 2008 at Myakka FL's first event - only the second event statewide and the female SB, former MI DragonWood (then just a red hat) asked me if I ever considered instructing. Your dad wore a pink hat in protest over no hats for IITs. I have pics to prove it. O0

Looks like it was a truly awesome event - kudos to instructors and shooters and to the CMP for hosting. Huzaaaah!  ^:)^

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata