News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Mobile, AL, AAR - Oct 31 - Nov 1, 2015

Started by Maximum Ordinate, November 09, 2015, 11:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

After much planning and effort, Callie and John45 opened the gates to the range at Moss Hill Shooting Range early Saturday morning.  It was dark that morning and the skies were spitting rain.  Despite the wind and rain, these two Orange Hat volunteers persevered... and opened a trail that hadn't been walked down in some time.  You see, it's been close to three years since Appleseeders had gathered at Moss Hill to tell history and teach marksmanship.  That Saturday was going to change everything!   This old shoot boss wandered in a few minutes later to find the crew setting up the range.  What a pleasure it was to work with such motivated volunteers!

Despite the weather, we had a fantastic turnout.  18 first-time Appleseeders arrived ready to hear the story of what defines us as Americans and learn how to shoot better than they ever thought they could.  We were joined by Lawdog and Geeck from Louisana and General Stuart from Georgia.  We began the day with Lawdog sharing the First Strike of the Match.  We swiftly moved to the safety briefing and brought rifles to the line.

Between predictions of stormy weather and an impending time change, time was of the essence this weekend.  Our instructors taught with simplicity and precision.  By lunch, we were through the core of the instruction and ready to move to practical exercises.  Lunch brought us the Second Strike, sharing the march from Lexington to Concord and the battle at the North Bridge spanning the Concord River.

Following lunch the rains got stronger, but more sporadic.  The sandy ground of Moss Hill helped absorb most of the water and prevent lots of mud.  Despite the rain, wind, and cold... our shooters persevered!  Lots of drills and lots of progress brought us to the AQT!  We wrapped up with the Third Strike and a quick benediction before saying farewell.

Sunday was projected to be hazardous weather... but fortune was with us.  Starting about 10am, we spent quite a while discussing KD shooting and then a review of fundamentals.

We jumped into action at 1pm and after a few drills did some AQTs.  While the weather was not dangerous, the rain was coming down hard.  That didn't deter our shooters from improving with Adam, Bob, and Garrett earning Rifleman scores!  HUZZAH!!!  Well done, Gentlemen!

Thanks to everyone who came out over the Halloween weekend, including the Range Leadership and RSOs from Moss Hill who came out to observe.  Your support is greatly appreciated.  I hope that you continue to pursue excellence in your marksmanship.  Please remember, the ultimate compliment you can extend to us is to come back to another Project Appleseed weekend and bring a friend!

in Liberty,
Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

geeck

Congrats to our new Rifleman,and hope to see you guys on the line again. We had an outstanding group of young people on Saturday, and some hardcore shooters come back on Sunday to shoot Rifleman scores in some very challenging weather. It was a fun and productive weekend... I little rain never stops a Rifleman.  ;D

General Stuart

What a great way to spend a weekend. You shooters totally made my trip worth the drive. All of you had fantastic attitudes despite the rain. Everyone left on Sunday a better Marksman and a better American. Hope to see y'all again.
"I am resigned; Gods will be done."
Major General J.E.B Stuart

LawDog

I have never left an Appleseed event without being both exhausted and energized.  Mobile was no exception.  The great turnout on Saturday and the weather on Sunday left me physically worn out.  But the interactions with my fellow Patriots - especially my 3 new Rifleman brothers - left me emotionally uplifted.  How can I fear for my Country knowing that southern Alabama has such fine people watching the ramparts?  Thank you all for sharing your weekend with me.  Thank you for braving the conditions and for persevering.  You left me brimming with confidence that we can - and will - take care of this Country. 

(lsu tiger jokes aside) The Louisiana crew will be back to Alabama soon.  We look forward to meeting more of you.  After all, many hands make light work.  Just think of what we could do if we enlisted the help of dozens more Patriots! 

Until then, stay safe and stay dry.
Dan

P.S. To Adam, Bob, and Garrett - in the form of your signatures on my flag, you will travel with me soon to Lexington and Concord.  I will post pictures when I return. 

Maximum Ordinate

Here are some pictures from the Moss Hill marksmanship clinic.  Most of these were taken by Callie!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/rusty-appleseed/2015-10_MobileAL/20151031_090347_zpsydzdjtjf.jpg

The rest of the pictures you can find hosted in this photobucket!  http://s24.photobucket.com/user/rusty-appleseed/library/2015-10_MobileAL
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.