News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Pelham, TN Known Distance October 17-18

Started by Ramblin' Wreck, October 26, 2015, 01:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramblin' Wreck

We're moving into our 3rd year holding Appleseed events, both 25 meter and KD, at the Elk River Training Center in Pelham, TN. It just keeps getting better and better. Originally our events were plagued with "high humidity", sometimes as much as 2 or 3 inches of it standing on the entire range which made shooting from prone position more than a little uncomfortable.  ;D   However, range manager Paul Granda has made some major improvements in drainage  AND created some new short ranges. The place is beautiful, and DRY. Maybe now my fellow instructors will drop my nickname of "black cloud" and we can quit referring to Pelham as Camp Swampy. 

We started the event as a sold out shoot, 18 spots, with a waiting list. We were able to extend the line and were able to accommodate 20 shooters. As we always do we began the day in the classroom covering the 3 tasks of a rifleman. The most classroom time is spent on day 1 is a discussion of trajectory and how to determine where your holes "should" appear at 100-400 yards. This block was taught by Senior Instructor and Alabama State Coordinator Rusty who did a terrific job of linking trajectory (Near zero, max ordinate, and far zero) with BSZ that paid huge dividends later in the day.

We moved to the classroom to the 25 yard line to establish/verify shooter's near zero. From there we dropped back to the 300 yard line for sighters. Shooters were amazed that the 25 meter zero was pretty darn close to their 300 yard far zero for those with "high" sights. Shooters were encouraged to hold under out to far zero and adjust only for 400+.  At 100 and 200 the shout of "what adjustments do you make on your sights" always brought the "not a darn thing" reply.  By the end of the day we had 4 brand new KD Riflemen.

New KD Riflemen, Johnny, Jay, Paul and Steve.  Congrats also to Bill F. who qualified on day 2 but I don't have his picture. Hopefully someone else does. Bill has also stepped up and joined the Appleseed crew by taking an orange hat. HUZZAH Bill.

To save time going back and forth on the longer legs we borrowed a trailer from one of the shooters who lived nearby. A HUGE time saver.

Not all the shooters were old hairy-legged guys. Ramblin' Wreck's #2 daughter Regan/Arwen on the forum.

[size=78%]Nice trigger finger technique. [/size] ;)

Day two began with one of the most important tasks a Rifleman must master to be effective, range estimation. No matter how well you can shoot you're not going to hit the target if you can't determine how far it is. The ole Wreck taught this block and covered ranging with irons and optics in MOA and Mils. When we returned to the range later in the morning we did a drill to determine the size in MOA of front sights and the various reticles being used.

By the end of the day we had two more KD qualifiers. Ryan earned both his rifleman patch and KD rocker on the same AQT. Huzzah Ryan. And although I don't have a picture to post, Appleseed Instructor Ben O., Living Hand, qualified and earned his KD patch on day 2 as well. Huzzah LH!!

New Rifleman and KD qualifier Ryan N.

In addition, the high qualifier, actually a re-qual, goes to Senior Instructor Rusty who shot a perfect 50/50 using 25 year old surplus ammo and applying BSZ principles. Way to go brother! Those Appleseed guys know very well what they are about.

We wrapped up the day shooting steel out to 540 yards to give folks a chance to shoot the Rifleman's Quarter Mile with some immediate feedback. This is always a fun time for a KD.

Overall we had a great turnout with some patriots who are passionate about Liberty and rifle marksmanship. Thanks to fellow instructors Kay and Steve who came all the way from Illinois to shoot and Geoffrey who drove 750 miles to shoot with us at Pelham. Thanks to the younger shooters who came out, Chris, Andrew, Regan and Jay. All these young people are on the threshold of a KD rocker at the next event.

Thanks to Rusty, Regulator, Overmountain Man, Tellico, Bowditch and Old Navy Doc for making the shoot a piece of cake for the old Wreck. See you guys again soon.

Speaking of next event, the next KD in the Tennessee Valley is in Calera, AL the first weekend in November. There is still room on the line. Hope to see you there.

Ramblin' Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Leadslinger66

I had a great time! I missed qualifying by one point on Saturday. I will definitely be back. Hats off to Ramblin' Wrech and his crew for a fun weekend.
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

Living Hand

Thank you instructors, who made this an awesome event to attend!  And thank you to those who made this range dry, comfortable and easily (lazily) traversed - and by that I mean the loan of the trailer.  My knee and I definitely appreciate your contributions.
"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."

"Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed, if so celestial an article as freedom, should not be highly rated."

Maximum Ordinate

This was a really great weekend.  Thanks to all the shooters who came out ready to learn!

For those of you still chasing your rocker, remember:  Rock solid fundamentals and BSZ are the key.  If you'd still like to get to a 25m event or a KD this year... we have both in Pelham, AL (just south of Birmingham) in November and December!  Alabama 2015 Schedule

A special shout-out to Bill F (Groton Minuteman here on the forum).  Congrats on stepping up to take an orange hat and welcome to the Alabama team!   ^:)^

-Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.