News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Niles, MI October 17-18, 2015

Started by Rascal21, October 15, 2015, 09:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rascal21

Thanks for coming out and spendinf the weekend at the range with us. It's a pleasure to be at Bend of the River, what a beautiful facility.

All the photos I managed to get are up here:

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganProjectAppleseed

You can like our page while there to get notifications of upcoming events.

Here are the teaser pics
Wecome to the team Rev Baker

Just for Lauren

Congrats Paul

Congrats Rev Baker

Congraats to Ethan as well

And of course to Leon...congratualtions 4 times again :)

Thanks all! Hope to see you soon!

Rascal

SteelThunder

Boy, you can't get better than a beautiful and chilly (no, guys, it didn't q-u-i-t-e qualify for a Winterseed...although it did snow a bit 1-1/2 hours north of us), with lots of centerfires on the line and a great group of people.

I really appreciate everyone "trying some new things out" with us.  Shooting in relays, running a moving firing line on the "Drop at 100 yds KD" module and fun shoots with a dueling tree.  The history was good, the shooting was better and the results...splendid.

Congratulations to our New Riflemen -- Mike, Ethan and Dave.  Also congrats to our re-qualifying Riflemen Paul and Leon (the dangerous Volk family).  Lauren -- 1 stinkin' shot on Stage 4 would have pushed you over.  Next time!!  Zane and Scott, great to have you out.    Chad and Xenia - really a lot of fun and Xenia, I'm glad we get to be part of your Naturalization process.  Jeremy - you're almost there...get those bugs worked out with the rifle and I'm confident.  David and Flora  - the coffee, tea and hot cocoa were AWESOME!!  Mike, Niko, Will (seriously?  your first time on a rifle?), Brian, Ryan, John, Mark, Tim, Taylor, Jeff, Doug - thanks for coming out.  I feel like my circle of friend got a bit bigger this weekend.

And a big congrats to Mike for accepting an Orange Hat!  Huzzah!  Glad to have you Rev Baker.

By the way, if you didn't see it already, here's the video and article from the WSBT TV news report from Saturday.  The reporter did a good job!! http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/project-appleseed-guns-and-history/35898458

Thanks to my awesome instructor crew:  Oz, Zazzles, merlin33, Tigger, Sir Kay, Nehemiah, Rascal21.  You guys are rocks in the  storm.  Thanks so much.

Now...
:pics:
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

DrRichP

First I'd like to recognize our outstanding instructor crew of SteelThunder, Oz, Zazzles, merlin33, Tigger, Sir Kay, Nehemiah, Rascal21 and thank them for putting on a safe and successful Appleseed.

Congrations to Mike, Ethan, Dave, Paul, and Leon! Outstanding!

Mike, thanks for joining us in our mission!!
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

SuedePflow

I had a great time, as always.  A big thanks to the instructors for putting on a great class!

Hopefully Michaela will be feeling better next time.  She was really wanting to come shoot otherwise.  We're going to try to bring her brother out next time too.

Kris, be sure to let me know when the first Silent Seed is scheduled!!!   ;)
-Paul
NRA Life Member

Element

The weekend was just great! With over twenty people there it got a little tight but the instructors managed to get us on the line and teach us all. Thanks for making this a great weekend and looking forward to many more

Rev Baker

Tigger

Pics to follow if I can make it work!! Thanks to all for coming out and I hope to see you all on the AS trail again soon.
"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."
C. S. Lewis  "On Stories: And Other Essays on Literature"

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

"The ultimate obscenity is not caring, not doing something about what you feel, not feeling."
Rod Serling

ClickClack

Hi folks, it's Will.

First things first, congratulations on an outstanding job of delivering instructions to a big group of people. I like how the material was delivered incrementally, so it didn't feel like drinking from a firehose. My heartfelt thanks to this group of fine volunteers spending the weekend teaching me instead of doing other fun stuff.

This has been a very valuable experience for me as a brand spanking newbie to rifle shooting. I gotta come clean though, Saturday wasn't my first time shooting the rifle, it was Friday when I put the scope on and shot the 10/22 on sandbags at the local indoor range to get the bullet holes somewhere in the neighborhood of the crosshairs. But, I think shooting it from sandbags doesn't really count, as it takes 0 skill. Sighting it in was interesting to say the least, as I had little clue about the finer points of MOA and clicks.

I used to be an IT guy, and they always say RTFM (read the flippin manual), so I read the 50+ pages that Kris attached to the email. If I'm doing halfway decent you can actually credit good instruction! It would have been helpful if I read the manual before sighting the rifle in. Oh well, live and learn.

I didn't realize the relevance of calling the shot until it was too late. There was something that I would call Sucky Equipment Factorâ,,¢. In the morning I was shooting straight, but a bit late in the afternoon my shots had drifted about two MOA right and one MOA low, and I didn't realize it until I saw my last AQT 400 yards target with 3 tight grouped holes at the low right corner. At least I realized it when the last redcoats were out, so I could do some kentucky windage and clear them.

Knowing that I don't suck with rifles, now I can justify getting something better than a $35 Wal-mart scope.

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again. This is definitely not my last Appleseed!

Sir Kay

To all the students you were a great bunch of people!  I would no have wanted to spend my weekend any other way! The weather was awesome I love the fall colors! Here are some pictures I took.. enjoy!
�It is better to know something about everything then everything about something�
― Blaise Pascal