News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Monmouth, Maine Oct. 1& 11

Started by The Old Guide, October 12, 2015, 08:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Guide

Saturday morning dawned raw and cold, but the club officers had helped put up the target line on Friday night. We had 13 shooters, most novices, and all but two had not been to an Appleseed. My IITs, Brian and Kirk did a fine job keeping a close eye on everybody and coaching. The first Redcoat target gave us a good idea of where we were beginning. We had shooters from Mass, NY, NH and of course, Maine.

Many sight adjustments and one scope installation were performed. A brand new 10/22 bought on Friday night had its front sight fall right off the rifle. A scope was installed. By Saturday afternoon, everybody had found their NPOAs and groups were tightening.

Sunday Morning dawned cold and raw again. Everybody was dressed for it. We had a shooter with a long white beard that blew in the wind. Sound familiar? I know where there is a strong white mare and photos will be forthcoming. Fred is 77 years old.

We had an M1 on the line and shooters came to clearly understood the "Prep 2 & 8" procedure. (M1s now come in a fancy CMP case.)

The Monmouth club has a fine clubhouse and well manicured grounds. They served fresh smoked turkey, burgers, dogs and smoked sausages. Fine dining for Appleseeders. After lunch on Sunday it all came together. 14 year old Blake re-qualified as Rifleman with 228, 234, 235, 235, and 241. That beat his IIT Dad's best score and is the range record AQT score. He cleaned the last Redcoat.

Roger fired a 218 and a 229 for his patch. He also cleaned the last Redcoat. Stephan fired a 216 with a bolt action Ruger 77 for his patch and young Austin, age 11, fired a 211 on the last AQT of the day. Talk about a happy young man. I believe he is the youngest shooter in Maine to make Rifleman on his first shoot. Good coaching and encouragement by our IITs.

Blake's young sister, Alexis, age 9 was hammering away with an AR before switching to a 10/22 with a shortened butt stock. Nothing intimidates this young lady. We expect her to Make Rifleman in the spring.

We may have a Winterseed At Monmouth in March. The club and shooters demand it after seeing one of the Winterseed patches.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

TOMINCT

Great shooting everybody, good to see Monmouth running strong.

The weather is never an issue in Maine, those folks get ready for it and continue to keep trying, with no complaints. One of the reasons I enjoyed helping up there in the past.

A rifleman persists.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13