News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hartsgrove, OH October 3-4, 2015

Started by EZ3, October 05, 2015, 09:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ3

First, a big "Thank You" to the Crooked Creek Conservation Club for inviting Project Appleseed to your range.  The range facilities are first class, and the roaring fire in the clubhouse was VERY welcome at lunch on Saturday, with instructors and students all soaked in 40 degree weather.  The sandwiches were pretty good, too.

And a tip of the hat to the Ohio crew for selling out the inaugural event at Hartsgrove.  Nice job!

Due to the nasty weather, only half of the pre-registered students showed up, but those that braved the rain an cold brought some impressive marksmanship skills with them, which we did our best to refine, Appleseed style.  The first Redcoat showed three students with a 400-yard effective range, and five more effective at 100 yards or better.  Three hit Morgan's Shingle, and Steve cleared his Redcoat.  After a long day in the rain and cold (which did not prevent Steve and Tom from re-qualifying as Riflemen) we also had eight students showing effective at 100 yards or better.  And FIVE hit Morgan's Shingle.  And Steve cleared his Redcoat.

Sunday began overcast, but warmer than it had been all day Saturday.  The first Redcoat showed that the rough weather Saturday had taken a toll, as only six scored at 100 yards or better, and "only" two hit the shingle.  As the sun came out and the weather warmed up, so did the marksmanship.  Tom and Steve shot multiple qualifying scores, as did Bruce.  Bruce's first qualifying score was 210, so he got wet both days.  But the "Most Improved Shooter" award has to go to Scott, who not only qualified, but also cleared his final Redcoat!

We were able to split the line Sunday afternoon, with about half the students opting for more AQTs, and half opting for putting KD theory to the test on the 100-yard range.  And as the day came to a close, Joe stepped up to take a Blue Hat.  Thanks, Joe!  That's really what Appleseed is all about, people stepping up to offer their efforts toward changing "hearts and minds".
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Corvette

Looks like we had a great first event at Hartsgrove. Wish I could have joined you guys.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Birdman

Another great shoot with another group of great Americans. Saturday's weather was B.A.D! The shooters persisted, overcame, and  learned the fundamentals with open minds.
Many, many, thanks to Don, our club boots on the ground for being a great host. Thanks to the Crooked Creek board members for allowing us to hold our first Appleseed event at the club. I knew it would be the perfect place for us. Hopefully we can get at least one, maybe two, dates on the club calendar for 2016.

Man, it was a tough day on Saturday, but they stuck it out. Returning Riflemen (and CMP shooters) Tom and Steve easily pumped out Rifleman scores on every AQT. Bruce who I have met at Crooked Creek CMP Sporter matches finally hit the magic 210, so I gratefully offered to do the baptism with water direct from the North Bridge. He figured it all out and I am pretty sure he posted a 238 later on Sunday.

Scott, who happens to be my first cousin, did an excellent job. His groups were incredible on the slow fire, then he got "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" thing going and got his Rifleman patch. Dangerous Old Man indeed! (That is a compliment Scott)
Ron, Mark, Joe, and the others did a fine job. I hope you come again to another even. It was a pleasure to flog all of you until the marksmanship improved. :)  All you guys were just great and it was a pleasure to serve you!

Dan, JJ, Lee, Gary---Always a fun time with you guys! Thanks for making this an easy and rewarding. I'm glad we had plenty of instructors to help on the line. I'm not getting any younger and it was just perfect. The shooters really did a great job with safety. We only have a few that needed to come back and make their rifle safe. Muzzle control was some of the best I have seen.
That's it for now. Huzzah!