News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Nappanee, IN. Oct 3 & 4, 2015

Started by Graywolf, October 05, 2015, 11:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graywolf

We had a great time at Nappanee!  In spite of a cold rain and chilling wind on Saturday spirits ran high and our celebration of our American Heritage was enthusiastic.  You can't ask for better than that.

Congratulations to our new riflemen:  Steve (who scored 5 times), Boyd, Sak (who scored 3 times), Katelyn, and Mike.  Well done to all of you!  Hopefully there are some Orange Hats in the future for you all.

Congratulations to all our other shooters as well.  Each of you showed improvement and many of you were scoring consistently in the 190's and 200's.  Remember a rifleman persists.  You are knocking on the door and I am certain you will get there soon.  Practice that NPOA!

Thank you to Jeff at the Nappanee Conservation Club for being a very gracious host and helping us along.  Thank you to the club for hosting our event.  It is always a pleasure to come to Nappanee.  I am looking forward to more great things there in 2016.

I will post up pictures as soon as I can get them off my Iphone.  In the meantime if anyone else has any, post 'em up! 
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

"There ain't no easy horses.  Learn to ride."  S.K.B.

D-Weed

A great time indeed: many thanks to Graywolf and Click for providing great instruction with only two instructors for 12 or so of us there. If there was a badge for calculating AQT scores Click earned it!

Excited to work on the fundamentals in the meantime and try for Riflemen in the future. A Rifleman persists!

Click

It was a fun weekend. It was a real joy to work with all the shooters over the weekend. Hope to see all of them back on the line in the future.

Graywolf

A few pics from the weekend. 
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

"There ain't no easy horses.  Learn to ride."  S.K.B.

DrRichP

Great event! Well done to all involved! :bow: Congrats to the new rifleman! : O0  Great pictures!! ;)
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

tatters

What a great time at Nappanee. Despite the rain, wind and cold, we trained on. Reminded me of BRM in Army basic training!  I'm the aforementioned Steve. The training, history lessons and putting rounds downrange was well worth the price of admission. Some of us, well dampened on Saturday, were able by Sunday to qualify Rifleman due to the training by Graywolf and Click. For me anyway.  Thanks so much for this. I came into to the weekend knowing how to shoot straight, but mostly from supported positions. I had never really learned to use a sling, but I came away knowing how to use that tool to make for better shooting. Really great fundamentals, and when you think about it, common sense methods to make you better.
Takeaways for me:  Come with a semiauto rifle that is properly sighted in, and bring ammo the barrel likes. My opinion is that removable mags are the best way to go.  My 10/22 is tweaked a bit and knows what ammo it likes. It shoots as straight as an arrow.   That leaves the work all up to me.  I know, at that point that if I miss, I've not executed properly.  If you bring a scoped rifle, you may have to fudge a bit on eye relief. I noticed that in the prone on higher magnification, the field of view was nearly nonexistent, yet in the standing the FOV was good.  The cheek weld is different for me because of my old man progressive lens glasses.
As far as "support" equipment, I brought too much but the lists that have already been mentioned in other places should be great guidelines.  Watch the weather forecast and you should be good to go.
Finally, pay attention to the training, the safety, and the history talks. There is so much I didn't know.  We really owe a debt of gratitude to those who came before us.. They helped form this imperfect, yet wonderful country.
Before I forget, thanks so much to Graywolf and Click for helping me become a better shot and for sharing the stories of the Revolutionary War (and other stuff) and thanks to Jeff at the conservation club for being a great host. ( His wife, too.. She made some killer chili)