News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Battlefield forensic archaeologists map out "Parker's Revenge"

Started by 509gman, September 29, 2015, 02:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

509gman

"What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, before he was killed by a Confederate sniper.

FourFans

"should something happen,,tell the children of this night".
   --credited to Capt Parker, April 18th '75

22 A DAY

509gman

"What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist-"
Last words of Union Gen. John Sedgwick, before he was killed by a Confederate sniper.

FourFans

I was going to fix it,, but my pics are too big, sorry.
Disregard all the above.
--FF

22 A DAY

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

FourFans

Taos,
"Any updates" would depend on how up-to-speed you are on this:

http://www.friendsofminuteman.org/parkers_revenge.htm

The VERY short story is:
I made my pilgrimage in early March. The North Bridge was item 1 on my list, then Meriam's Corner thru Parkers Revenge the first day, etc.etc. The rock structure at PR made for a very impressive ambush point, and I was impressed. Twords the end of my visit, I decided that I had to see the North Bridge and PR again, only this time it was a Saturday and as luck would have it, there was a re-enactor present at the NB this time. Having been sorely disappointed with the knowledge level of the paid Nat'l Parks Svc folks, I decided to bounce a few questions off this gentleman; WOW. This guy was an encyclopedia, he's been a re-enactor for over 25 years and an un-paid volunteer on weekends for over eight.
  I could mostly keep up with him, but he made me think about a few items. That was EXACTLY why I was here.
One of the things that came up was PR, I told him it was a beautiful ambush site. He agreed, but ONLY if you discount SKIRMISHERS. He told me about the organization in the link and about their findings. The present PR is a great ambush site, but with skirmishers deployed, you could be the one being ambushed. We talked for over an hour,, I "got schooled".
My re-visit of PR now focused on the area he told me to go, and sure enough, there were surveyor's posts etc. very inconspicuous, leading right up to the fence line of Hanscom AFB.
If you look at this area, about 100-150 yards west of the present PR, it makes a lot of sense, car sized boulders EVERYWHERE, and easier to evacuate or defend if flanked. Remember Parker had only 70ish men at Lexington Green, but had 150+ at his revenge point, he knew WELL what he was about.
The link tells the rest.
--FF

22 A DAY

TaosGlock

Thanks for the PM and the heads up on your comments/link for this thread. FF! :bow:
That is some good info right there! :---
TG
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Oz

The link below indicates there will be a presentation tomorrow on the final archaeological report--hopefully some details will be reported out in the press, but more hopefully perhaps this means the actual report will be available soon!

http://boston1775.blogspot.com/2016/04/returning-to-parkers-revenge-site-29-apr.html?m=1

(BTW this is a great blog, well worth following.  And the author has a new book coming out next month:  "The Road to Concord: How Four Stolen Cannon Ignited the Revolutionary War".
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Charles McKinley

As if my reading list wasn't long enough!  Who needs sleep anyway?

Thanks for the links!

Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery