News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coshocton, Ohio Sept 26 & 27,2015

Started by Corvette, September 28, 2015, 12:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

What an AMAZING shoot at Coshocton Gun Club this weekend. We had 12 motivated shooters show up ready to hit the line Saturday morning.  After the welcome and the safety briefing, rifles were brought to the line and the Saturday morning Red Coat was shot.  Right from the start, it was clear we had a real group of Riflemen and Riflewomen at this shoot.  We had 10 of 12 with three shots in the 100 and almost half competent out to 400. We had 3 join Daniel Morgan's Rangers and we had 2 cleared Red Coats first thing on Saturday.

Position instructions, the Six Steps and NPOA instructions followed and the morning flew by with everybody working hard. Sights were adjusted and we broke for lunch. The first strike was presented and before we knew it we were back on the line working on seated and off hand. The second strike was presented at the afternoon break and we returned to the line for a practice AQT.  The third strike was presented and the day came to a close.

Many thanks to John, John Jr. and Phillip for joining me for dinner in Coshocton where we were able to catch some of  the second half of the Buckeye's game.  And, I really enjoyed the evening of "gun talk" with Phillip who was camping at the range with us.

Sunday dawned overcast but after a great breakfast of sausage and egg sandwiches at the range, we started a very eventful Sunday.  We had a new shooter, Scott, who joined us.  He was a returning Appleseeder so he joined right up with the group.

The Sunday Red Coat was the first indicator of the magic that was going to happen.   11 of 12 shooters were competent at 100, 9 of 12 at 200, 6 of 12 at 300 and 5 of 12 at 400.  We had 7 people join Daniel Morgan's rangers  and we had 3 cleared Red Coats.  Wow, I have never had a group like this.

After carding the sights, and some NPOA work, we started the AQT's.  We got 2 AQT's in before the rain came.  During the rain we did a presentation on the flags and the KD lecture.  The rain let up and we returned to the line for 3 more AQTs.  Even with the bad weather, this group excelled.  When the AQT's were done, we had amazing results. 

Out of 13 total shooters, we had 7 Riflemen, most of which backed up their score with multiple Riflemen scores. Our Riflemen were:
Les  218 and a 217
Brian (requalification) 239, 227, 233
Josh 212, 216
Sean 218, 212
Scott 215, 212, 219
Tom 211, 219
Joel 211

That is 15 rifleman scores in one day out of 12 shooters.  HUZZAH. Coshocton  Rocks.

In between the afternoon AQTs, we broke the line into three teams of four, named teams Red, White and Blue. We posted one Red Coat for each team and announced a Total Yards Challenge.  The rules were as follows.

1. Each shooter gets five rounds (20 per team)
2. Goal is to get most total yards.
3. To score at any level, you must have at least three shots in that level.
4. Shingle shots counts double.
5. If you don't have three at a level, anything above it does not count.
6. Most total yards after 2 rounds wins.
7. Time limit, 30 secs per round.

Each team took some time to plan their strategy and we shot the contest.  Team Red took a go for broke strategy concentrating on the 300, 400 and Shingle targets during the first round.  Problem was they only got 2 in the 100 yd target and scored a ZERO. 

On the second round however, they solved their problems and smoked the round, taking first place earning them all Liberty Patches. Congratulations Brian, Sean, Marshall, and John on your comeback.

The rains came again and we hid under the shoot house while we talked DOMs and then retuned to the line for more AQT's. We finished the day with a final Red Coat and an open session where a number of shooters had the opportunity to shoot an M1 Garand.

The day ended with everybody wet but pleased with the results.  This is the best shooting group I have ever worked with at an Appleseed.  I want to thank everybody for a great, safe and rewarding weekend. Please post any pictures you may have and share your comments.

My EXTRA special thanks to John and Brian for helping RSO the line and to Janice for helping me score AQTs on Sunday.  I could not have done this shoot without your help.  MANY THANKS!!!!!

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

DrRichP

I wish I could have been at this one. Seven of 13 shooters scoring Rifleman is outstanding. Congratulations to Les, Brian, Josh, Sean, Scot, Tom, and Joel! Sincerest thanks to MTRisner and Corvette for running a safe and very successful event, and special thanks to John, Brian, and Janice for all your help. I hope to meet you all on the trail.
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Scott V2

It was a great day Sunday.  Thank you for putting this on, my kids are all going to be attendees as soon as they are able to hold a rifle standing :)  I have been suggesting several of my co-workers to attend this clinic and get involved!

Thanks for bringing out the M1, first time to ever pull the trigger on one of those.

-Scott

Corvette

Scott V2

It was great to have you join us and congrats again on your Rifleman score, welcome to the corp of current day Riflemen.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Sapper1

Thanks to Corvette for yet another fantastic weekend of history and teaching. I finally gathered the right combination of rifle, ammo, me and instruction to earn then confirm my Rifleman patch. I really don't understand why all shooters don't have this on their firearms bucket list. Looking forward to assisting as I'm available as a new orange hat, too!