News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Melrose, FL Sept 25-26, 2015 Florida's first Ladyseed

Started by Trisha, September 27, 2015, 12:20:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trisha

Amazing first day! It was hot...well I thought so :) but everyone worked hard, learned a lot, and seemed to have fun. Keep it up! More to come soon!

minnesotarabit

Trish, thanks so much for coming down to SB the shoot. Sorry I could not make Sunday, I knew I was not up to it and have too much to get done to move Mom home in two weeks. It was a really awesome day with you and all the ladies and gentlemen. I learned a lot and was pleased to see so much of 9mm4545 and rambogranny's training had stuck from earlier in the year. You are a great SB and so encouraging, would love to attend another shoot with you.  Hope to make next Ladyseed as well as planning on trying for my rifleman in Nov. at NSB.

Continuing the tradition and truth -

minnesotarabit shootin' iron sights...

the "road to glory in a patriot army and a free country is…open to all." - Gen. George Washington, August 7, 1782, in creation of the Badge of Merit

"We, and all others who believe in freedom as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." -   Thomas Jefferson, Jan. 30, 1787

malabar

Gotta have some images. Many thanks to 9mm4545 for the camera work.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Squeeeeezer

This was my first Appleseed event and I am so proud to have been among this group of women in the first Florida Ladyseed.  My sister Karen and I had a wonderful time and learned so much.  Thank you so much to Trisha for being a wonderful Shoot Boss and to all of the ladies who assisted her.  I look forward to attending another event and to possibly get involved with this great organization.  Thank you all so much!!! ^:)^

Trisha

I'm sitting here in the Atlanta Airport waiting for my connecting flight thinking about this past weekend and what to say about it. First and foremost I was very impressed with the camaraderie between all, instructors and students, this helps someone like me who came in from another state feel welcome. Appleseed is a large family and it felt that way in Florida, so thank you all for that.

Shooters, you all did amazing! 17 shooters on the line on Saturday in the heat and 12 shooters came back on Sunday and dealt with the typical on and off rain showers throughout the day. You all worked very hard, don't stop! Keep working on it and strive for that Riflemen's patch, make our forefathers proud that you are carrying on the tradition of marksmanship! Continue to better yourselves, not just entertain yourselves.

We had one student, Hannah, requalify as Rifleman with I believe a 239! Keep it up Hannah and I hope to see that orange hat on you more often now!

Florida has a brand new Rifleman too. Her name is Sarah, and this was her first Appleseed and basically her first time shooting! On our last AQT she was able to get a 216! Congratulations Sarah and I hope to hear that you're still continuing to learn!

We had three students clear their redcoats too! Sarah, Hannah and Liesl! Congratulations goes out to all three, clearing the Redcoat is not all that easy.

To all students, once again, great job this weekend! I hope to see more and more women in this program, this is a big reason why I came down to Florida, I feel that getting women involved is very important.

My lady instructors, I could go on and on about you all....in a good way of course ;) great job this weekend, I hope you all learned something new as well, I know I certainly did! please feel free to PM me anytime if you have any comments or questions, I am here to help!

Ps. I have a few pics but most  of them will be coming from the FL instructors :) and they will have them up soon.

Minutemom

This weekend was one of the highlights of my Appleseed journey!  Being able to participate in Florida's very first Ladyseed was a tremendous experience!!  The 17 women who showed up to learn their heritage would have made the brave women of the Revolutionary era proud.  High spirits, teachable attitudes, and real tenacity were abundantly present there, despite melting heat and humidity the first day, and rain-soaked shooting mats the second.  Mega congratulations to Sarah for earning the coveted rifleman's patch at her very first Appleseed!  I hope you will continue on the Appleseed trail!  All the other ladies should be no less proud, because the improvement over the weekend was truly impressive.  Each and every one of you has what it takes to be a rifleman, and I hope you will continue to practice and improve.  Many thanks to my fellow instructors - I truly consider Appleseed as part of my extended family.  I continue to learn from watching and listening to you instruct.  It was awesome meeting other lady instructors from all over FL and GA, and it was a privilege to work with our shoot boss Trisha!  You are a great shoot boss, and made the weekend so fun for all of us!  Also, thanks to the amazing Smoak for hosting our event, and to all the men instructors there who had our backs and cooked for us!!  You are wonderful!!
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

rambo granny

To all our students, huge thanks! This group was truly exceptional in teachable attitudes, grit, and determination. Not only are the patriot founding mothers smiling, but I see some purple patches in your futures. It was an honor to work with you & I look forward to seeing you at another event.

When everyone seems to be in NO great hurry to leave an event on Sunday afternoon despite the weather challenges and the tiring hard work put forth by instructors, SB, & students alike, you know some really super things happened. What an honor to have been a part of this fun, challenging &'productive historic event!

Smoak & Christie, thanks for sharing your beautiful piece of the woods.

Bruce,  Ken, Tom, Smoak, Mecreos, thanks for the fixin' n fussin w misbehaving rifles, putting up canopies, baking cookies, fixing lunch, & low country boil, taking pictures....all while giving the ladies their space for a real Ladyseed.

Trisha, you pulled it all together encouraging both students & instructors to perform at their best.
We were blessed to have you come sweat it out with us, while we learned, laughed, made new friends, and as you say: bettered ourselves.
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

Squeeeeezer

I love reading the posts about this event.  I am not very good with words but I have so much emotion inside.  I am looking for a different forum name and would appreciate any suggestions you might be able to provide for me.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Donna

Minutemom

Donna,
It should be something that speaks to your heart.  There are so many awesome forum names here, some serious, some funny, some descriptive.  I chose minutemom because I am a mom, first of all, but I was touched by the story of the minutemen, ready to defend their liberty at a minute's notice.  I want to impart that same love of liberty to my children, so the tradition may be carried forth.  Was there a particular story that touched you this weekend?  Any of the founding fathers or mothers you would like to emulate?  A particular aspect of Appleseed that you connected with?  Your forum name should be special for you. 

I can totally relate with what you're feeling - I felt it too after my first Appleseed.  I knew I wanted to be a part of this and these people forever.  Welcome to the trail.  I know we haven't seen the last of you  ;)
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

9mm4545

I cannot add anything other than saying that it was wonderful, inspiring, and amazing. Here are a few photos in no particular order. Hopefully the captions will appear, otherwise you will have to supply your own. As there are quite a few photos, I have included the link to a file storage site where the pics can be viewed. Enjoy!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pecbln27pk4z9ul/AAC8SAXXwlIykmMZScxMnR2ra?dl=0

rambo granny

FYI re pictures posted.
Ladyseed pictures done of instructor demos were all done w dummy rifle stocks incapable of firing.
Everyone was always safe.
Kudos to students for being one of best groups we've ever seen re safety.
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

smilingmom

A big thank you for Project Appleseed to have the foresight to have a Ladyseed Event. I feel so fortunate that I was able to participate in the first Ladyseed in Florida. My sister Donna and I had such a great time. We can't stop talking about it.  I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the time and effort that each of the instructors and helpers put into this fabulous event. I walked away much more informed, not only the shooting aspect, but the stories about the Revolutionary War were very impactful. I am already looking at another event in November and may have my husband go too! Time to start looking for my own rifle...you caught another apple...

Minutemom

Woohoo Karen!!!  Welcome to the Appleseed trail!  It was so much fun working with you and Donna!  Go git yerself a rifle, lady,  and drag your husband along to the next shoot!  And remember part 3 of the "safe rifle dance", SAFETY ON!!!!!!!!!   **)

smilingmom

Besides my "happy dance" as some of the ladies called it, I will do my best to double triple check my safety rifle dance! Thanks Minutemom.

smoakingun

As the host of this event, I can only say well done to all. I didn't have a ton of time to spend on the line due to host duties, but what I saw was very not bad. You ladies worked hard, be proud of what you accomplished. For those who did not shot the score this weekend, fret not. Riflemen are not born, they are made. In the early days of America, they were made from necessity. They had to feed themselves and protect themselves from the war-like occupants of the land they were determined to posses.
This weekend was just the first step on the path to becoming an American Rifleman, an introduction the science of rifle shooting and an introduction to the heritage we share as Americans.
I hope you all persist and pass this heritage to your friends and family, and I hope to see you next spring at our next ladyseed event.
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

heidiheidi

This VERY first FL Ladyseed weekend takes the prize as one of the best Appleseed experiences I've ever had.  First, the shooters were fantastic.  They brought a teachable attitude and made measurable progress.
Donna and Karen, you two wanted to spend a sister weekend together and you both were super examples of what positive, caring,
never-quit sisters can be.  You both were always smiling, laughing, and grateful and never complained, even when lying in a puddle and having to literally wring out your shooting mats. 
Gabriele, great effort and great attitude.  Linda, you are a good example to the rest of us by stepping beyond hard chapters in your life and focusing mind, body, and spirit on goodness and improving your scores. 
Kate, you sacrificed time, money, energy and stress to give your daughter a weekend that would challenge her.  Your tremendous love for her is most evident.  Not only that, you never quit.  Up and down at the mat.  You are tough.  I'm glad it was easier for you the second day.
Megan, you overcame your fears and jumped right in.  You are so quick that you caught right up.  You have an inner strength that needs to shine.  Continue to focus on excellence and you will surprise yourself with what you can do. 
Grace really showed a quiet determination to hang in there both days and she made significant improvement.  Kelly and Sarah, you gave it everything while smiling and then gave it some more.  Boom Boom Boom, way to go big guns.   :~  :~ Nice shooting and congrats, Sarah, on scoring Rifleman.  To my dearest Rose and sister, Liesl, I was so glad to share this weekend with you both.  It became more than a shooting event.  It became a supportive positive weekend where every person's contribution made it better, from the playing card ladies, to the sharing of stories of courageous women, to the thoughtful keychains given to us by blue hat Jean, it was super.  It is great to bring someone to a shoot to reconnect with them and end up with such a wonderful memory to share.  The remaining shooters were hard working and wonderful people also. Thank you so much for putting forth tremendous effort.
To the instructors, Wow.  Trisha was a super leader.   She was good at both leading our group as well as delegating and giving each and every instructor present the ability to contribute.  She brought out the best in us. Well done. 
Megan and Gretchen, we appreciate the long distance you and your families traveled to support FL ladies and share your skills.  Red Niva Hannah, you not only have the red hat down pat, you have such a charm in your relaxed style that puts everyone at ease and makes you feel like an old friend.  Rambo Granny lovingly makes us all know we CAN do it, even if we have to use the stock as a crutch.  Madison and Hannah, what a great sister combo.  You both shoot well, lead well, and support each other.  Sophia, you are wonderful at identifying shooting position errors and so kind at communicating how to fix them to shooters.  Chris, you are highly skilled at teaching to groups and hearing you made me wish you would tell more stories.  You really connected.   :bow: Jean, thank you for your support.  You stepped in and anticipated what we needed like passing out targets and so much more.  Lucky Lori, great contribution.  ^:)^ To the rest of you wonderful, wonderful ladies, thank you all for making this a weekend I will never forget.  The staying after part on Sunday really was proof that even though we had long drives home, we connected to the Appleseed heritage and felt a sense of making history for the first Ladyseed in Florida and that will stay with all of us.  I am so happy to have been a part of it.  Thank you.   :)
Heidiheidi :F

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees*. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

heidiheidi

Also, tremendous thanks for
Smoak & Christie for sharing some paradise in the woods with the rest of us.  Also thank you Bruce,  Ken, Tom orange hat, Tom Kehoe, Smoak, Mecreos for supporting us with food, shuttling our gear and ourselves, hosting campers, gunsmithing, cooking and cleaning and staying close enough to help us so much and far enough away to let us do it ourselves.  We are grateful for your unending support.  Thank you from all of us.   ..:..   ;D
Heidiheidi :F

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees*. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

Red Niva

I am not a person of many words, but, what a time I had! Never before have I seen so may women in one shoot, instructors and shooters alike! I was ecstatic with the turnout both days and with the performance of every lady present.

We instructors are there for you, the shooters. I hope that whatever you got from this shoot, you will take and use on a regular basis. Ladies, please understand, that no matter how much we did for you, you did, and do, so much more for us instructors. Without you, this weekend would never had happened. You give us instructors hope and the energy to keep doing what we do. My hat is off to all of you, thank you. Remember to keep on 7th Stepping!!!

"Darkness is returning to Paradise. Are you ready?" Johnny Drake

"From the desert has come a voice crying in the wilderness, and his name is John. Johnny Drake to be more precise. But ask his disciples and they will tell you his mission is no less defined than the mission of John the Baptist, who first introduced the Light from heaven to the world over two thousand years ago. The multitudes listened to John, who told them that Jesus of Nazareth was the Way to God. Then Herod toke John's head.
  Now the question begs us: Will the world listen to Johnny Drake? And who will take his head?"   Quote from the book, "Sinner" by Ted Dekker

Squeeeeezer

Quote from: Minutemom on September 29, 2015, 11:01:42 AM
Donna,
It should be something that speaks to your heart.  Your forum name should be special for you. 

Thank you for the suggestion Minutemom.  I love your explanation as to why you chose your forum name and it suites you.  I decided to change to Squeeeeezer because that is something I am in need of working on.  Figured all the reminders should help.  ~~:)

This is definitely not the last you will see of smilingmom and myself.  As previously mentioned we have already looked at our options for the next event and are researching rifle purchases.  I might even go to one before then to observe others.

Thank you all again for everything!  ..:..

Minutemom

Hahaha, I love your new name Squeeeeezer!!  I betcha you'll be a trigger master in no time with that name  ;)  Ballpoint pen!

TomM1Thumb

This was a great event, I did my best to stay off the Firing line and Target line, but I did get to see a few of Grand Daughter Sam's Targets

here are a few Pictures
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

TomM1Thumb

My Pictures are Large I can only post one at a time, so I will post this ne then work on reducing the rest before posting more
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

rambo granny

Thanks everyone for posting. this keeps the great glow from the weekend going & it is so much fun to hear from new friends. O0
I am back on schedule for dry practices...Are you?
Please EVERYONE reach out to women to get more estrogen on all firing lines..  ^:)^ even at regular Appleseeds in between times that we can do Ladyseeds.
With more women on all lines, that increases the chance of new female instructors which in turn could lead toward more Ladyseeds down the road.

Squeeeeezer

My husband and I went to a car show this past Saturday night and I wore my Appleseed shirt.  I was approached by a gentlemen stating that it was the first time he had seen anyone wear their shirt in public.  I found this hard to believe since I wear mine often.  It was nice to talk with him a bit about it.

I was wondering......is it okay to go to an Appleseed event as a spectator?  I wanted to go and observe others before my next event.  Wanted to make sure that was acceptable.  If someone could please let me know I would appreciate it.  Was thinking of Bunnell this weekend.

9mm4545

You would be most welcome to attend as an observer. No charge, you just have to sign the liability releases is all.

Trisha

You are welcome to attend as an observer like 9mm says but I would think you would want to get behind that trigger again! It is a lot of the same that I did but just a slightly faster pace and truly I think you are ready for that.

Quote from: Squeeeeezer on October 05, 2015, 09:57:20 AM
My husband and I went to a car show this past Saturday night and I wore my Appleseed shirt.  I was approached by a gentlemen stating that it was the first time he had seen anyone wear their shirt in public.  I found this hard to believe since I wear mine often.  It was nice to talk with him a bit about it.

I was wondering......is it okay to go to an Appleseed event as a spectator?  I wanted to go and observe others before my next event.  Wanted to make sure that was acceptable.  If someone could please let me know I would appreciate it.  Was thinking of Bunnell this weekend.

B.C.

Trust me, being on the line is much better that just observing  :)
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

PHenry

QuoteI feel that getting women involved is very important.
Amen to that!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Minutemom

This Ladyseed was REALLY good for Florida!!  I can tell you there's a lot of excitement out there and tons of interest for the next Ladyseed.  Rambo Granny, you are right about getting more women on the line even at regular Appleseeds.  I'm really excited because I feel like we have just scratched the surface here, and there is a tremendous potential for something really.....awesome to happen!