News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fairfax, Virginia NRA HQ September 21-22

Started by BD, September 23, 2015, 10:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BD

We had a great time with our Appleseed Shoot at the NRA Headquarters range.
Indoor shooting is way different from the usual event - no sunscreen, no bug spray, very little wind.
The line was full with 15 motivated Americans working on their marksmanship and learning about our heritage.
I had the honor of re-qualifying one rifleman (and passing him a new orange hat) and adding two new riflemen to our ranks.
We also had a good number of people knocking on the door of the rifleman score by the end.

Everyone kept up the enthusiasm on Monday, when most worked all day before arriving for the 6pm-10pm first session.
We got back at it Tuesday morning for a full day of progress.
It was grand. Many thanks to the NRA for letting us play on their playground for the third time.
Up the Republic

BeSwift

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

The Wolfhound

It was indeed a good group.  We did have one out of battery detonation.  No harm caused but the shell casing was uber ugly.  I also found that even I, (yes, my own loud self) cannot out shout 5 centerfires rapidly closing out the second stage of the AQT on an indoor range.  They could not hear me.  I was completely drowned out. 

The Wolfhound

Here are two of our 3 Patches going out from BD:

The Wolfhound

I may have a picture regarding a hat somewhere around here.........

FiremanBob

Author of "The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22"

"Remember constantly that a nation cannot long remain strong when each man in it is individually weak, and that neither social forms nor political schemes have yet been found that can make a people energetic by composing it of pusillanimous and soft citizens." - de Tocqueville

Monkey

Quote from: The Wolfhound on September 24, 2015, 04:56:15 PM
I also found that even I, (yes, my own loud self) cannot out shout 5 centerfires rapidly closing out the second stage of the AQT on an indoor range.  They could not hear me.  I was completely drowned out.

Good point for the IAAR.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

The Wolfhound

The rifle in question was Tim's Marlin as a loaner.  It finished the day operationally without any more issues other than being dirty.   

The Wolfhound

Found that picture.  Virginia's latest Red Hat: dogloverchow
HUZZAH!
HUZZAH!
HUZZAH!

photoman12001

Thanks for hosting a great shooting experience. This one was certainly different from my first event in Nebraska. The Midwestern summer heat can be brutal. I'm looking forward to attending more events as a volunteer.

I shoot at the NRA range on Mondays in a bullseye pistol league. We use the booth and speaker system during those matches for calling commands so that might work better for future events at that range. However, we use only rimfire pistols in the league. The speaker system might not work well over the noise of centerfire rifles. It might be worth a try next time though.

Sorry we ran out of time before I could tell you about the rifle I was using. It's a Russian IZHMASH BIATHLON-7-2-KO. This model is a simplified version of rifles used in biathlon competitions and uses a straight push/pull toggle action that is much faster than a turn bolt action. The only drawback for this rifle that I've found in use at Appleseed events is that the stock's short length of pull makes it very difficult to use comfortably in the seated position. Since taking these photos, I have installed extended scope rings that move the scope forward for better eye relief but it's still not ideal. It works fine in the standing and prone positions for me though.

Here is a video of my wife shooting it:  https://youtu.be/giEUwi7nrNY

The second rifle I was using is a PWS T3 Summit. It uses the same type of toggle action as the IZHMASH but it's a U.S.-built gun and uses the same stocks, barrels, and magazines as a Ruger 10/22. This one is a great suppressor host because the manual action is quiet but the toggle is fast to cycle.

Here is a video of my wife shooting the PWS suppressed:  https://youtu.be/DhYqAjRQoiA

BeSwift

Love those Russian rifles... still kicking myself for not buying one years back when they first hit the market...
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Monkey

Quote from: The Wolfhound on September 25, 2015, 11:02:12 AM
Found that picture.  Virginia's latest Red Hat: dogloverchow
HUZZAH!
HUZZAH!
HUZZAH!

HUZZAH!

Can't wait to meet up with you on the trail again!
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

photoman12001

Quote from: BeSwift on September 25, 2015, 08:22:18 PM
Love those Russian rifles... still kicking myself for not buying one years back when they first hit the market...

Yeah, they command quite a bit of money now. They have great triggers and fantastic inherent precision. When you could get them for less than $500 they were a real bargain but at the current prices you have a lot of really nice options. I didn't know anything about them when I spotted this one on the rack at a local store; I actually thought it was an air rifle. After doing some research over night I quickly went back and bought it. It was purchased specifically to use at my first Appleseed because I wanted to use a manual action. I initially got a CZ 452FS to use and installed Tech Sights but I don't think I could have used it if the weather turned foul; it's too nice. The great thing about the IZHMASH is that it shoots well and it has a more functional appearance and rugged finish. The action is fast too.

WhyWon

It was great to work with the VA crew and see the NRA Range.
I look forward to working with you guys next time as well.

-Y1

Quote from: BD on September 23, 2015, 10:03:41 PM
We had a great time with our Appleseed Shoot at the NRA Headquarters range.
Indoor shooting is way different from the usual event - no sunscreen, no bug spray, very little wind.
The line was full with 15 motivated Americans working on their marksmanship and learning about our heritage.
I had the honor of re-qualifying one rifleman (and passing him a new orange hat) and adding two new riflemen to our ranks.
We also had a good number of people knocking on the door of the rifleman score by the end.

Everyone kept up the enthusiasm on Monday, when most worked all day before arriving for the 6pm-10pm first session.
We got back at it Tuesday morning for a full day of progress.
It was grand. Many thanks to the NRA for letting us play on their playground for the third time.
NRA Patron • GOA Life • SAF Life • MSI Life • VCDL • RWVA
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Ramseur, 2-12 !