News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

North Berwick, Maine - Sept. 12/13, 2015

Started by The Old Guide, September 19, 2015, 12:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Old Guide

The host club had a covered line for us when we arrived. Weather was supposed to be rainy. We had 10 shooters from Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Maine. There was a large variability in their skill levels which was shown by their Redcoat targets. There were tight groups and one person hit the paper once.

OK, into the squares target, sight adjustments sling use and positions. Groups tightened. Before lunch we ran out first stage by stage AQT. The improvement was remarkable. If these folks needed a team name I would call them the "Sling Believers". I have a dummy rifle with a powerful laser on it. The wobble factor with and without the sling is pronounced.

North Country Lady did the first strike and right after lunch we had our first rifleman. Then another one and another. We had a bolt action CZ rifle wit a 28 inch barrel on the line fired by a left handed shooter. He made Rifleman. We had six Riflemen out of ten shooters. We had a total of 28 Rifleman targets! Yup "Sling Believers". We did all three strikes on Saturday. The final Redcoat Saturday was vastly improved from the morning and one person cleaned it. There were 3 head shots on Saturday afternoon.

Sunday morning dawned wet and dreary with a fine mist, but we had no heavy rain. We had to be careful with the target backers, but the targets did stay on. The Redcoat was improved from Saturday. We got more Riflemen. We went to rapid fire AQTs and got more Riflemen. Everybody had a fine time. They will all be back. Ty has a degree in History and is in his master's program at UNH. He is on their college shooting team. He fired NINE Rifleman targets with the high score of 239. He wants to become an Appleseed Instructor. I welcomed him into the fold.

This was a great shoot at a great club.We had an air rifle on the line on Saturday that was charged from a big SCUBA tank. It goes "boink" rather than bam. It fired dime size groups at 25 meters. Bob also qualified as Rifleman with a 10/22. Young Blake, age 14 requalified as Rifleman four times. He's a sling believer. Everybody wants to come back and everybody said they will bring a friend.

We had a handicapped shooter who was unable to get into the prone position and is too unsteady to fire standing. He made Rifleman sitting for all courses of fire, including the bottom row. Adaptive Appleseed works. Another "sling believer".

Devil_Dog95 was a great coach and contributed greatly to the vast improvement shown by all these Appleseeders and majority Riflemen.

(Corrected typos.)
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

VietVet

Sounds like you ran a GREAT event.  O0

Job well done and thanks to you and your "Crew" for keeping Maine still going.  :bow:

Congrats to ALL involved.   ^:)^
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

NotSoFast

The South Berwick event was a weekend very well spent. With a great deal of encouragement given by instructors and fellow shooters on the line I found positions that worked within my limits.  What I learned went way beyond what was taught and I thank everyone for their help and patience.

My original goal was simple; to see if I could make it through a day. Day one was so enjoyable and instructive that missing day two was not an option. That I learned to love the sling and substantially improve my groups is a testament to Pat, Roger, and Kirk. What a great group of people.

I look forward to attending again.

Quigley

My wife and I drove up from RI to attend this event, and were very pleased. The facilities were very comfortable, and the companionship was great.  My wife is hooked and is can not wait to attend another shoot Appleseed shoot. That satisfies my description of a successful event. We hope to find some shoots closer to home before we go back to Maine.