News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coupeville, WA Sep 19-20 2015 AAR

Started by Earl, September 19, 2015, 07:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl

Up early this morning, must catch the ferry at 6am. Looking forward to a very fine Appleseed Event. O0
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

FeileX

Thank you for your great instruction Earl.  This event was awesome, and shows how far out of practice I have come (and how much it comes back with more practice  O0)
Chris

DraggingPolymer

Excellent event! This was my first Appleseed and there will be more to come. Earl was an excellent Shoot Boss and I know what I need to work on to become a better marksman. The story telling was well done, too. I never learned the fundamentals of marksmanship like this. Not sure if I am ever going to use another bench rest, unless I need a place to keep ammo. Thanks to all the volunteers.
Dave

watzizzname

A little bit of rain, a little bit of wind with a ton of instruction on the line and good size portion of history thrown in. As alway I had a blast. Thank you to Earl, Tracey, Maxwell, Fixer and Ralph for their time. Also, I got to see William earn a blue hat!

After seeing so many "shingle shots" on day one I was very surprised there weren't more than 2  badges handed out. I'll make good use of mine.

This was Earl's best last event as shoot boss so far. I can't wait for the next one ;D

Earl

Seems I left my best intentions on Whidbey Island with the sudden rains, and I don't have documentation to fill in my IAAR for this wonderful Appleseed Event on the 19th and 20th of September. 21 preregistered, and that meant 20 shooters of which three would have to cancel out, still fifteen shooter showed up to learn and participate in the celebration of our shared ancient history that seems to have happened on 19th of April 1775.

So the RWVA crew was two members light, cubflyr had other things stopping his participation but Fixer did come in to help get the shoot in the proper perspective and on schedule. Maxwell brought his son, William, to observe and help out (stepping up to take a blue hat and work target distributions).

The firing line had Bill and Will (father and son team) anchoring the left wing, Will would repeat Rifleman with a score of 217. Beside him was Ashis that would get a 211 to keep from getting wet with the taste of the Charles River, but nicely done.  Makes me think that repeated Appleseeds under Earl's wonderful guidance will prevail.  Although Earl is sure that anyone can become a rifleman if they listen to all that is presented in the two days.  Beside Ashis, was Andrea and she went from no where to where she was knocking on the door of that elusive 210 score.  Not having too many bad habits all she was perfecting was solid recommendations from Earl.... or one of my many very qualified instructors or IITs.

Then I remember Ben and his adjustments to position in the three positions, but he hung in there and constantly improved. We can't fix but one thing at a time. Sabrina was the second female shooter, and she showed steady improvement and I want her to do forty dry fire round on an AQT target daily, ammunition in another room. Positions and timing are critical, but can be and should be done in dry practice before re-engaging targets with live rounds. Why spend money one doesn't have on targets that just don't really count?

If I had a trophy for most improved shooter, and I don't. I would award it to Chris on the Right, beside Dave the left hander.
He had no idea what he was doing when he started and he picked up on the trigger control as we beat it into his two days of bad habits to be broken and thrown far away.

We had two exciting, and Earl doesn't need excitement, events first the broken case on Chris's AR, remanufactured ammunition, which plowed a new whole round in upon a left behind piece of brass casing, and a second one of no extraction of a case that the extractor took the rim off the case then pouted because there was nothing to grab on to.... ah, the challenges of new ways to not work as advertised.

All in all, this was the best final Shoot Boss for Earl on Whidbey Island that he loves and appreciates. Thank you Bob, Matthew and Tracey for having put up with my snoring and silly old man stuff, you really rock as home range hosts. Thank you all the shooters that came because I was the shoot boss that you wanted most, or those shooters that came because you really had no idea how wonderful an Appleseed was until Earl does it right. The truth is 'you' are responsible for all your shots, and I just made sure the targets were there and some very good instruction was offered for your inquiring minds that wanted to find out.

I do hope you will continue to learn to place your shots where most effective, and stand up for Liberty where it is long gone, and that you will read and study what the founding fathers, sons and ladies of the original American Revolution stood and fought for our freedom that so many have no understanding of... nor appreciation of their commitment and sacrifice for us, their posterity. God bless all our best, thanks for having me. ;)
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

maxwell

This was a fun shoot to help out at, and it was good to see most of the shooters keep a positive attitude through the blowing tarps and mats, and see some improvement. William read half of Fischer's book on the trip, and is pretty proud of his blue hat (thanks, Earl and Fixer); I think he'll be shooting at an upcoming Port Townsend event!

Hopefully all shooters read up on dry practice https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=44538.msg315354#msg315354 and note the link to targets in that article. The 5-yard target is posted on the wall in our living room, and just a few minutes a day will help you get used to those painful positions you learned.