News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Suamico, WI September 12-13, 2015

Started by 9mm4545, September 15, 2015, 02:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

What a wonderful weekend! We could not asked for better weather, better facilities, or better weather but it was the quality of the students that was truly exemplary. These folks came ready to learn and the progress shown was rapid and remarkable. From the first Redcoat target to the last we saw enthusiasm, dedication, and persistence. By the end of the weekend two new Rifleman were revealed, two more qualified again, and everyone made significant progress. Big congratulations to Jim and Dave who shot a 241 and 242 respectively. That is some good shooting! Both Cindy and Brent had shot the score before and apparently hadn't forgotten too much as they re-qualified with AQT scores solidly in the Rifleman zone; Cindy with a 222 and Brent with a 228. Young Libby was amazing. After shooting remarkably well from a rest she was shooting from position using a sling by the end of the weekend--and doing a darn good job of it. This young lady is going to be a force to be reckoned with as she gets older and stronger. Brian, I cannot believe how well you can shoot from the kneeling position. You are an inspiration! Lindy, perfect practice done a few minutes every day will greatly improve your shooting and I see a Rifleman patch coming your way. Pete, it was a pleasure working with you. A bit of dry practice will make the positions more comfortable so that relaxing while you are shooting is possible. Josh, I only wish you could have been with us longer as your example is one that should be seen and appreciated by others. Although I did suggest some rifle modifications to several of you, most everyone will benefit by tweaking the rifle fit by building up the stock and mounting the scope further forward. An extended Picatinny scope rail by EGW or Volquartsen coupled with medium or low Weaver style scope rings will really help get that scope where you want it. When setting up your scope do it in the prone position and with the scope set at maximum magnification and it will be all good when you get to the next Appleseed. Thanks to Sightwolf, Skeebums99, and Rambo Granny for all the good help. Oh yes, and congratulations to Rambo Granny for shooting an amazing 249 on a rapid fire AQT Sunday afternoon. That is pretty good shooting considering how little practice you have had lately! :-) I hope to get back to Wisconsin again but everyone is invited to join us in sunny Florida in the meantime. Your comments, complaints, and photos are welcomed so--let us have it!

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

DrRichP

Thank you to 9mm4545 and Rambo Granny for taking away from your vacation to lead this event. :bow: Thanks also to Skeebums99 and Sightwolf who rounded out the crack team of instructors.

It seems this was a great event with new Rifleman, re-qualifying Rifleman, and several just knocking at the door, who will (with a little practice) score Rifleman soon.

I look forward to seeing you all at another Appleseed very soon!
DrRichP

"You never know how far reaching something you think, say or do today will affect the lives of millions tomorrow" - B.J. Palmer
   Think about that as you go to work the next Appleseed!

"The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." Socrates

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."-Benjamin Franklin

"What makes an insurrection here always more formidable than in other places is that there is a law of this province wh[ich] obligates every inhabitant to be furnished with a firelock, bayonet, and pretty considerable quantity of ammunition."  - Gen. Lord Hugh Percy

Rita

Thanks to all that came, and to all the instructors. What a beautiful weekend. In spite of a Bear/ Packer game.... we had Patriots come out to shoot.

Sightwolf

I'm in total agreement. Great weather, great students, great attitude and great instructors. Who could ask for anything more?!

As an aside, one of our students, Dave Hall, rather quietly fired Rifleman with an ancient Remington 513-T, magazine fed bolt action CMP surplus .22, then repeated the feat with a similarly obtained old Springfield manufactured M-1 Garand! He's also accomplished this at past events with borrowed M-1s and M1As, and came within five points of doing it with a stock IO AK!  He is indeed an exception to the old rule about being wary of the man who owns but one gun, because Dave is deadly with just about anything you put in his hands! Kudos to Dave

Another comment. For those who bemoan the stock 10/22 trigger, Jim Pelishek fired a 241 on his first AQT with just that! No modifications at all! On the other hand, he printed off AQTs from the forum and they came out of the printer a bit smaller than normal at 8.5x11 inches, so when confronted by the full sized targets, it was like shooting at box cars!

It's all really mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.  Or as an old football player, Paul Hornung used to say, "Practice! Practice! Practice!" ;)

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it!"
"I don't get mad, I get more than even!"
"A closed mouth gathers no feet, fists or hand grenades."

PaperPuncher241

Shooting takes a lot of practice and blaming the equipment normally is the wrong place to start. Punch paper as often as possible and have fun at it.

PaperPuncher241

Here are some pictures that I took of our event. This picture is of Libbie working with RamboGranny. They are setting Libbie up in a sling for the first time on the second day. Libbie told me Saturday night shooting from the rest was to easy. Thanks RamboGranny, Libbie really likes you. She wanted you to come over for supper and spend the night.
Shooting takes a lot of practice and blaming the equipment normally is the wrong place to start. Punch paper as often as possible and have fun at it.

PaperPuncher241

Here are some more pics from the event of everyone working so hard. Of course, I was slacking off and taking pictures. So I figured I should share them with whoever is interested. I would like to thank Bruce(9mm4545) and Janet(RamboGranny) for taking the time to come up and visit us in Suamico, WI. You did an awesome job. Keep doing what you are doing because it is a wonderful thing. I would also like to thank Rick(Sightwolf) and Rita(skeebums99) for the awesome weekend. You all did a wonderful job keeping us on track and making everyone safe. I would also like to say thanks to everyone for showing Libbie a really great time. Her mom was feeling bad for her because she was the only kid in attendance, I informed mom that Libbie was the talk of the weekend and was being spoiled by everyone equally checking out her targets and congratulating her on how well she was doing. Keep up the hard work everyone and you will make Rifleman soon.

martin

Martin

Now the Lord is that Spirit:and where the Spirit of the Lord is,there is liberty. 2Corinthians 3:17

Seek the Truth

"We in America do not have a government by the majority-we have a government by the majority who participate....All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
-Thomas Jefferson

Sightwolf

Libby was the life of the event.  At the age of ten,  she is wise beyond her years. Using one of my loaners, she shot like an experienced pro. During ball & dummy, I was watching her eyes, when I noticed the only thing she was doing wrong was closing her non aiming eye. Everything else was perfect. When. I asked her if she was keeping both eyes open,  she said, "No."  I  told her to keep them both open and she did from that point on, and her scores improved.

The point being that she hasn't developed many bad habits yet, so there are fewer to correct! As 9mm4545 said, she's really going to be a force to be reckoned with!

Amazing how that works! Listening to the voice of experience isn't all bad. And it's cheaper than ammo!

Dangerous Old Instructors!  Yes :~

Sightwolf  O0
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it!"
"I don't get mad, I get more than even!"
"A closed mouth gathers no feet, fists or hand grenades."

PaperPuncher241

Rick watching the line.

PaperPuncher241

Rita watching the line.

TomM1Thumb

Paper Puncher 241 You said "Thanks RamboGranny, Libbie really likes you. She wanted you to come over for supper and spend the night."

That is the opinion of most of the People who know Janet. I being one of those. She and Bruce are Great People to know.

Working an Appleseed event with Them is always a Great time.

" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

9mm4545

Better late than never... I found some lost photos that were taken at the event. Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dd8yqa9p6vkg6dj/AADDJFd2ZV0GzMvavt1DmH_ra?dl=0
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837