News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Leadville, CO August 29-30, 2015

Started by Prone to Knit, August 31, 2015, 02:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prone to Knit

Another excellent event in Leadville. These events are just special. The instructors were oneshot_onehole, BrassBucket, TheDud and Covenanter.

Thirteen people showed up, including a family from New Jersey, a family we met at the Self Reliance Expo last weekend, and an instructor's family.

The altitude of 10,200 feet got to a couple of the students but they toughed it out and made it through the weekend. You just can't ignore the effects of high altitude sickness and it can sometimes hit people even if they're fairly used to the altitude.

Covenanter's son, Keenan, celebrated his 15th birthday on Sunday by shooting a 221 on his AQT. He'll soon be joining the Appleseed ranks. What made the difference? Finally "getting" what focusing on the front sight means. Great job, Keenan!

Thank you all for showing up to this challenging altitude in the beautiful mountains of Colorado and spending your weekend with Appleseed.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

TheDud

So much fun!

We had a great time and are so glad we decided to spend another weekend with the greatest folks in the Republic!

Everyone stayed motivated throughout the weekend and the results showed up downrange with some greatly improving groups, a new rifleman, and a couple of folks knocking pretty hard on the door.

BrassBucket has some pictures I'm sure she'll post up here soon, but thanks to the Colorado crew, our guests from near and far, and the great folks of the Leadville Rod and Gun Club.

Keep dry firing, we'll see you all again soon, even if we have to fly to New Jersey to make it happen!

BrassBucket

What a wonderful shoot! Our New Jersey shooters definitely win the prize for most elevation difference between home (118 feet above sea level) and the shoot (10,200 feet in Leadville). So amazed by the perseverence of everyone, even the CO natives, as I was feeling winded just telling stories. Beautiful weather, great participation, and a gorgeous view of the Rockies.

A super special congratulations to Keenan who shot a stellar Rifleman score on his 15th birthday (plus he's got great taste in music)!

Thanks to oneshot_onehole for running another successful shoot and to his adoring bride, Prone To Knit, for being the lady behind the curtain to help him get it done. Covenantar did some of the best story telling I've heard at an Appleseed, and TheDud was pretty ok to hang out with too  ;)

If anyone would like more pictures I am happy to email them, but I'll post a few here.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

- Col. Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

BrassBucket

A few of Covenanter and TheDud.

TheDud was scrutinizing my scoring of the qualifying AQT; apparently I am tougher than him on scoring as I gave it a 214 but I am known for being a harsh critic.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

- Col. Cooper, The Art of the Rifle