News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sunland, CA - August 29-30, 2015

Started by Camljr, August 31, 2015, 01:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camljr

17 fine Americans got off of the couch Saturday and showed up on the line to learn a bit about Marksmanship.

It was an epic Inferno Seed since the temperature reached 102 degrees by afternoon.
Luckily we brought plenty of easy ups and lots of ice water. We needed it!

Early redcoats started off showing we had work to do, but at least 8 shooters had 3 in the 100 yd. target! 300 and 400... not so much yet...

This group was attentive despite the heat and learned very well, but a few had equipment issues from the start which hampered their ability to progress quickly (loose scopes, rails, action screws, Etc.) Remember this: Iron Sights Rule! They will not fail when you need them most!

Things got a little better after the lunch time stories, and a few folks even got to shoot my Brown Bess Musket! Judging from the smiles, it was a hit...

The afternoon saw some good groups, good progress, and most getting better at the positions. We ended the day with no heat related issues, (we did have to use a band aid on an elbow, though!).

Saturday's Marksmen: Tracy-125, Jon B.-148, Josh- 160, Chris- 162.
Saturday's Sharpshooters: John K-173, Jim-196 & 208, Chris-205.

Sunday we had 12 return to a slightly cooler line (it was 93 degrees).
Early redcoats showed that more shooters were effective at 300 and 400 that on Saturday,
so some of the instruction stuck with them.

We got right to the squares, and we had no equipment issues to deal with, and the groups were real good. AQTs were posted and the shooter ground it out.

Dangerous old men stories at lunch, and how they made a difference, like we all can, and they loved the stories, I believe. More musket fire by the shooters, too.

After lunch, we had Chris banged out a 223 score to make rifleman! Way to go Chris...

Later, Jim knocked out a 208 with 7 holes in the top standing target.??? where did the other 3 go?? The shots were all in the center, the other 3 just weren't there?? I guessed that the bullets were vaporizing after leaving the barrel... LOL  Jim got a little frustrated, I told him not to worry about those shots, as he couldn't do anything about those... The most important shot is....THE NEXT SHOT! I told Jim to shoot it like he just didn't care (it takes the mental pressure off) BANG! 217 next AQT for our 2nd rifleman of the day! Way to pull it off, Jim!

Congrats to our new riflemen, Chris and Jim!!!   

Jim got a 217 (with his .223), and Chris got a 223 (with his .223)

Other scores of the day were:
Sunday's Marksmen: , Josh- 160, Chris- 162, Gilbert-164.
Sunday's Sharpshooters: Steve-178, Jon B.-185, Del-196, Rob-197.

I had the best time this weekend, it was hot and tiring, but it was all worth it to me!

Best of all, We have a new Red Hat!   WhangDoodle (Dan) has met the requirements to promote to Full Instructor!!!  Congrats to Dan!

I gotta sign off now, "Honey Do" is calling...

Feel free to comment on the shoot.

I will post Pictures by Wednesday...

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Camljr

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Redfeather

Its been a long and painful half a year since my last Appleseed. I almost forgot how good it feels to see the group progress - not the usual exercise in futility which I get everywhere else. The group reminded me why I spend my weekends telling stories and shooting rifles. Thank you.

Camljr

Pics, as promised...
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

Theodore Roosevelt

Camljr

MORE pics...
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

Theodore Roosevelt

Camljr

~~:)
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

Theodore Roosevelt

M1Rifleman

This past weekend's Appleseed was inspiring in so many ways.  Much thanks to our incredible instructors, who, as Samuel Adams would say, are "keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."

I've been practicing positions in my living room and "Paul Revere's Ride" is on my nightstand. I'll be back for that patch soon.

Rob

Johnnyappleseed

This was a very enjoyable shoot that ran very smooth . Thank You to all who attended and those who contributed to the furtherance of american liberty ,

congratulations Rob and Chris on achieving  rifleman status .

Nice forum name Rob and welcome aboard Sir   O0

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

twobeagles

Yes, indeed another fine Appleseed! Thanks to all of the fine Patriots that came out to learn about our history and marksmanship. Due to your dedication and teachable attitudes; there was a lot of improvement over the weekend. Way to go all! Remember to dry practice at home & come back to another Appleseed.
To our new Rifleman, Chris and Jim-Congratulations to both of you. Sure hope you come to another Appleseed and take an Orange Hat so that you can join us in passing Marksmanship and history along to others.
A great big HUZZAH to Cameron, our shoot boss for leading us through another perfect Appleseed weekend. Thanks Cameron for all of your work so we could all be out there.
I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. I can't wait to see all of you again on the line.  ^:)^